59th Cannes Film Festival 2006

20060529023140684853.jpg
Noemie Lenoir in MCQUEEN
00310m.jpg
gettyimages.com vogue

bluedolphin said:
LOVE Emmanuelle Beart 'S DRESS .WHO KONW ,CHANEL?

not sure. I remember seeing it but I cant remember which collection. Maybe Elie Saab?

yup, Elie Saab Spring 2006 rtw

00710m.jpg

style.com

great dress

Last edited by a moderator:
Emmanuelle Beart...3 HQ's...this dress is soooo pretty!

getty,hollywoodsbest

I know some:

Penelope Cruz Best Performance By An Actress Award
Volver de Pedro Almodovar Best Screenplay Award
Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu Best Director Award for Babel
Andrea Arnold Jury Prize for Red Road

Most important of all
The Wind That Shakes The Barley winner of the Palm d' Or 2006

Odette said:
I know some:

Penelope Cruz Best Performance By An Actress Award
Volver de Pedro Almodovar Best Screenplay Award
Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu Best Director Award for Babel
Andrea Arnold Jury Prize for Red Road

Most important of all
The Wind That Shakes The Barley winner of the Palm d' Or 2006

IMDb is saying that it was not just Penelope who won, its the female cast of Volver who won Best Actress, they did in ensembles..same with the Best Actor went to the male cast of Indigenes. I must admit I think its a bit weird, i've heard of ensemble awards before but specifically by gender!? its strange..http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444182/

Loach film wins top Cannes prize

British director Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes The Barley has won the Palme d'Or - the top prize at the Cannes film festival.
The film, about Ireland's struggle for independence, beat 19 others to the prestigious prize.
Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai, who led the jury, said his panel had looked for films which reflected "compassion, hope, bonding and solidarity".
Other jurors included actors Tim Roth, Samuel L Jackson and Monica Belluci.
Wong said the jury's desicion had been a unanimous one.
British actress Helena Bonham Carter, who was also on the jury, said Loach's film "hit us all profoundly".
"It was one of five films about war and it was a fantastic education about the Irish problem," she added.
"There was a tremendous humanity. I can't explain our mass reaction but we were all profoundly moved."

'Wonderful festival'
Loach, 69, has said the film, which describes the early days of the IRA in the 1920s from an Irish perspective, is also a critique of the US-led invasion of Iraq. "Maybe if we tell the truth about the past, maybe we tell the truth about the present," he said as he accepted the award.
Loach thanked the jury of "the most wonderful festival of cinema in the world".
"Our film is a little, a very little step in the British confronting their imperialist history," he said.
28 Days Later star Cillian Murphy leads the cast, which also includes Padraic Delaney, Liam Cunningham and Orla Fitzgerald.
Loach has been nominated for the Palme d'Or on seven previous occasions, but this is the first time he has won the main prize. He won the jury prize in 1990 for Hidden Agenda, about a British army shoot-to-kill policy in Northern Ireland. His is the first UK film to win the Palme d'Or since Mike Leigh's Secrets and Lies in 1996.
There was also success for another UK director, Andrea Arnold. Her debut feature, Red Road, won a special jury prize.
Loach said after the ceremony: "This is very good for British cinema. I hope it encourages people in our film industry to remember we are part of world cinema and to not just look across the Atlantic."
Among the 19 films he beat to the prize were the two favourites, Volver by Spanish director Pedro Almodovar, and Babel by Mexican film-maker Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. Inarritu took the best director's prize for his film, which was shot in four different languages.

Collective awards
The entire female cast of Volver - led by Penelope Cruz - were collectively awarded the best actress honour, while Almodovar won best screenplay.
The best actor prize was given collectively to the French-Arab cast of Days of Glory, led by actor and comedian Jamel Debbouze, best known for his role in 2001's Amelie.
Directed by Rachid Bouchareb, it describes the treatment of North African soldiers who fought for France in World War II.
The Grand Prix runner-up prize was taken by French film-maker Bruno Dumont's Flanders, a portrayal of the effects of war on a young farmer.
Both UK winners had backing from the National Lottery. Paul Trijbits, head of the UK Film Council's New Cinema Fund, which distributes lottery money to film-makers, called Ken Loach and Andrea Arnold's success "an outstanding testament to their talent, creativity and vision". The awards ceremony ends the world's leading film festival, which began on 17 May with the premiere of The Da Vinci Code.

bbc.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:

Eva Longoria @ closing ceremony in Cannes (may 28, 2006)
hollywoodsbest.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->