60th Cannes Film Festival

sethii

Reaction score
:woot:
Not long to go

As it's the 60th anniversary there should be lots of great events!

The opening film of the festival is My Blueberry Nights which is Wong Kar Wai's first english language film.

cannes60poster480.jpg

[indiewire]

IN COMPETITION
"4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days," Romania, Cristian Mungiu
"Alexandra," Russia, Alexander Sokurov
"Auf der anderen Seite des Lebens," Germany-Turkey, Fatih Akin
"The Banishment," Russia-Belgium, Andrey Zvyagintsev
"Breath," South Korea, Kim Ki-duk
"Les Chansons d'amour," France, Christophe Honore
"Death Proof," U.S., Quentin Tarantino
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," France, Julian Schnabel
"Import/Export," Austria, Ulrich Seidl
"The Man From London," Germany-France-U.K.-Hungary, Bela Tarr
"Mogari No Mor," Japan, Naomi Kawase
"No Country For Old Men," U.S., The Coen Brothers
"Paranoid Park," France-U.S., Gus Van Sant
"Persepolis," France-U.S., Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud
"Promise Me This," France-Serbia, Emir Kusturica
"Secret Sunshine," South Korea, Lee Chang-dong
"Silent Light," Mexico-France-Netherlands, Carlos Reygadas
"Tehilim," France, Raphael Nadjari
"Une Vieille Maitresse," France, Catherine Breillat
"We Own the Night," U.S., James Gray
"Zodiac," U.S., David Fincher

INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION JURY
Stephen Frears, British director (president)
Marco Bellocchio, Italian director
:heart:Maggie Cheung, Hong Kong actress:heart:
Toni Collette, Australian actress
Maria De Medeiros, Portuguese actress
Orhan Pamuk, Turkish novelist
Michel Piccoli, French actor
Sarah Polley, Canadian actress
Abderrahmane Sissako, Mauritanian director

[variety.com]

Offical Site
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/

Thanks Sethii :woot:
I'm very excited about My Blueberry Nights, a little nervous too, I hope it's as good as his other works!
And Maggie Cheung on the jury :wub:
And a Kim Ki-duk film :woot: There's a lot here I'd love to see

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the high number of actors/actresses on the main prize's jury it seems like FIPRESCI has overtaken the Palme D'Or in terms of real cachet. Even then, rubbish films have won FIPRESCI because they've had juries from rubbish papers so with all these things you have to look at exactly who is on the jury...

ahh exciting!, thanks sethii!. :bounce:
I'm rooting for Silent Light.. hope it does well.. :heart:

I know this isn't star style but is it OK to post pics of the actors etc at the festival? :blush:

I found these on getty:

Diane Kruger is master of ceremonies! I don't really know much about her.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

and a worker makes some finishing touches. I'm not a fan of the poster, its too musical theatre :yuk: doesn't feel cinematic.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[getty]

more diane HQ this time
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[celebcity]

[/FONT]
wireimage, thanks to kochie!

2007 Cannes Film Festival - "My Blueberry Nights" Photocall
Norah Jones, Jude Law, Wong Kar Wai

[wireimage, thanks to kochie]

Last edited by a moderator:
There has just been a photocall for the Jury :woot:

The pics havent appeared yet :doh:

What is Orhan Pamuk doing among the juries??is he there becasue he got Nobel?

thanks! i forgot my wireimage password :cry: and it wont let me register right now :angry:

Can you post the pics with Maggie also :D

doesn't sound good for wong kar wai :doh:

But the half-hearted applause that greeted the end credits - and only the first few seconds of them, at that - at the first press screening suggested the assembled journalists felt it never reached top gear.

Some were almost apologetic as they expressed negative verdicts to me on the Hong Kong director's first US film.

_42933381_blueberry_nights203pub.jpg
Jude Law and Norah Jones star in the road movie

"It was so disappointing - American cliches. And I'm a Wong Kar Wai fan," a French reporter told me.

"It feels sacreligious because he's like a god here, but I wasn't crazy about it," said a US journalist.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6646919.stm

:(:(

But this year has proven to be a poor year for British film-makers - no UK films are up for competition. Italy and Spain are also absent from the final 22.

Frears told reporters that this had more to do with "a matter of timing" - but he added at the jury's opening press conference that the UK government did "not enough" to support film-makers.

[source: BBC,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6657591.stm ]

Alain Delon :heart: has accepted Gilles Jacob's invitation and will be one the honorary hosts of the 60th Festival de Cannes. He will attend, on May 20th, the anniversary ceremonies. Everyone still remembers those images of the actor who came to defend on the Croisette the colours of a few of the greatest artists of world cinema to whom his name in inextricably bound: Antonioni and Eclipse, Visconti and The Leopard, the sketch by Louis Malle in Extraordinary Stories, Losey and Mr Klein, Godard and the New Wave…His last visit to the Festival goes back to The Return of Casanova, by Edouard Niermans, in 1992, marked as well by an unforgettable climbing of the steps.

Alain Delon declared upon this occasion: "I am personally delighted, after such a long absence, to once again have the honour to climb these legendary steps. My only regret is not being able to do so in the company of my dear friend Bebel " (Jean-Paul Belmondo). What's up with Belmondo?
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/index.php/en/article/55440

Here is the famous Hotel du Cap Eden-Roc located? I love Cannes Film Festival...it is like the start of summer.

it seems we have two Cannes threads... this one and Cannes Film Festival 2007... :unsure:

_42933285_lawget.jpg

Jude Law was the first A-list star to appear on the first day of this year's Cannes Film Festival. He appears in My Blueberry Nights, which opens the event on Wednesday.

_42933287_norahget.jpg

He stars alongside singer Norah Jones, making her acting debut as a heartbroken woman on a road trip across the US.

_42933273_redcarpetap.jpg

The finishing touches were put to the red carpet outside the Palais des Festivals ahead of the opening gala.

_42933283_krugerap.jpg

German actress Diane Kruger is master of ceremonies at this year's festival, hosting the awards ceremony on the final day on 27 May.

_42933279_frearsget.jpg

The jury to decide the main winners will be headed by British director Stephen Frears, who made The Queen and has been nominated for the Palme d'Or twice.

_42933281_juryget.jpg

He is joined on the jury by (left-right:( Orhan Pamuk, Abderrahmane Sissako, Marco Bellocchio, Toni Collette, Maria De Medeiros, Sarah Polley, Maggie Cheung and Michel Piccoli.

_42933275_colletteget.jpg

Australian actress Collette said her role on the jury would be more about "more about appreciation than judgement".

_42933277_dogsap.jpg

Tight security surrounds the festival, which ends on 27 May.

[bbc, Cannes first day ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->