A Stampede Of Tenderfeet

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by tangerine, Sep 13, 2004.

1. tangerine

tangerine Soviet Camaro

I hope this is in the right place, if not mods please help! :flower:
    What do you all think? :flower:

2. faust

faust New Member

I think Cathy should retire.

3. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

i think i agree

4. metal-on-metal

:lol:

5. metal-on-metal

What a great message this sends to young designers: Give up now because you'll never get anywhere, losers! :censored:

6. nikos

nikos New Member

:lol:

she's painfully right in most places

btw, last year some paper asked "does Cathy Horyn secretely like fashion?"

7. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

I understand Ms. Horn's point and agree with a lot of it. There are some shows I look at and wonder how the hell that person received any sponsorship. :blink: The governing bodies are not as selective as they should be. I understand that they want to give newcomers a chance but I think designers should have to prove themselves a bit before they have a show at such an important event.

8. metal-on-metal

That was from the stupid Daily. :rolleyes:

Thing is, I generally agree with her. Her opinions are almost always spot on. But I kinda feel like she's voicing the opinions of the fashion bigwigs here. Of course they don't want young designers around. They take away the spotlight from Marc, Calvin, and Ralph. Does anyone give a sh*t what Donna Karan is doing this season? No. People get excited about As Four, Jeremy Scott, Zac Posen, Proenza, Tess G, and the other young designers that keep NYFW from being a complete and utter bore.

9. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

mmm...i have to say that i was thinking relatively the same thing as cathy horyn...who are all these people showing in the tents?...where did they come form...and why shgould i go see them...there are so many that it's hard to know which ones to even bother with...and since there is NO selection process-you don't have to show anything but $$$$...many of these shows are relatively boring...and uninspired...often poorly made or overly styled (sass and bide...)...

i do think there should be some sort of standards set by the cfda...the indie designers could then show off-site if they still wanted to..i don't know exactly how it should work...but i really feel like there are too many mediocre and redundant shows...

10. saturnine

saturnine New Member

The article itself was a bit all over the place, but I suppose on one hand there is showing your art, and on the other, pure elitism.

Surely if a designer has a $100,000 budget to begin with, for being included alone, would indicate some form of credibility?

Michael Kors, as was the example given in the text, may have been around longer, but why shouldn't younger talents be included? Inevitably there will be some mediocre displays, but surely there will be some gems?

Everyone deserves a chance, and you have to start somewhere, I suppose...

11. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i don't think that's true if the money just comes from your family...being wealthy does not qualify anyone as a designer... no credibility there...

i do think everyone deserves a chance...but maybe there should be a smaller venue for new talent and then another for more established ones...just a thought... :flower: