"Decline and Fall of Helmut Lang"

Last week I went to a store that carries Helmut Lang and the owner told me that he is directly in contact with the Helmut Lang staff and they've said to him that Lang will return with a new collection under a different name for Autumn/Winter '06.

^That's certainly good news.

faust said:
Most people can only afford that one bag. Or in SJP's immortal words (and I can't beleive I'm about to quote Sex and the City :lol: ), "I was shopping in the Village for a perfect $4 dress to go with my $400 shoes." Two, even though it's not that apparent in New York, America has a weight problem, so it's not that easy to fit oneself into a Rick Owens jacket, yet it's easy to put a bag on your shoulder or wear shoes...
:lol: I can't believe you just quoted SJP. That's so true about bags and shoes being the quick and easy things to buy and wear. But it still annoys me when people buy $1000 bags, then spend like $50 on the rest of their wardrobe. It's as if they think that the bag will make them stylish and cool-looking no matter how terrible their outfit is, not that you can't buy nice cheap outfits, but you know what I'm getting at. And I know people can do whatever they want with their money and bla bla bla, but it still irritates me.

faust said:
I think you are :lol:
It's like saying that good taste is elitist, and since the masses don't have good taste they won't buy into it. The masses don't even know who Helmut Lang is. And aren't the masses the ones who love to be dictated to? Isn't it the very definition of the masses? And don't they want to feel elitist? Isn't that why they are buying Louis Vuitton? Prada wanted to make him that, but it didn't work, because Helmut is a DESIGNER, not a marketer like Tom Ford or Bertelli.

Bird of Paradise, I so agree with you about New York. I think the problem is twofold. One, there aren't that many stylish millionaires strolling the streets of New York, contrary to the popular beleif. Most people can only afford that one bag. Or in SJP's immortal words (and I can't beleive I'm about to quote Sex and the City :lol: ), "I was shopping in the Village for a perfect $4 dress to go with my $400 shoes." Two, even though it's not that apparent in New York, America has a weight problem, so it's not that easy to fit oneself into a Rick Owens jacket, yet it's easy to put a bag on your shoulder or wear shoes...

I'm much to out of it to post an articulate response, but I just wanted to say that I think you said it perfectly. B)

I'll try and post more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->