Abercrombie & Fitch

Avant Garde

Reaction score
The Abercrombie Report

(nymag.com)

The Abercrombie Report
With its first Fifth Avenue store, Abercrombie & Fitch expands from the tourist ghetto of South Street Seaport to the heart of upscale Manhattan. Can a suburban brand thrive in the big city? We asked 75 kids what Abercrombie means to them.

By Denise Penny
abercrombie051114_1_400.jpg

“They’re just trying to make you think that by wearing Abercrombie you’ll have a better chance of having sex.” Max Wang, 13 (far left). “They’re the only jeans that fit me ’cause I’m so skinny.” Julie Miller, 14 (top). “It projects the typical image of the perfect American male—good at school and masculine.” Jeremy Leopold-Metzger, 16 (far right). (Photo credit: Todd Selby)

Do you like Abercrombie & Fitch?
Yes: 50%
No: 23%
No. It’s gross: 20%
My entire wardrobe is Abercrombie: 3%
I’ve never heard of it: 3%
I like it, but my boyfriend won’t go into the store: 1%

Are you the type of person Abercrombie epitomizes?
No: 86%
Yes: 8%
No. I’m not perfect: 2%
No. I’m black: 2%
Yes. I’m sexy as hell: 1%
No. I live in New York, not California: 1%

Will you shop at Abercrombie’s new Fifth Avenue store?
Yes: 54%
No: 42%
No. I only go to Abercrombie at the mall: 4%

Have you seen the company’s old magalogue with its controversial nude images?
No: 60%
Yes: 37%
Yes. My dad has it, and it’s like p*rn: 1%
Yes. It stresses guys out: 1%
No. Can you see nipples? Victoria’s Secret doesn’t show nipples anymore: 1%

Are you a fan of Abercrombie’s satirical T-shirts, like the one that said IT’S ALL RELATIVE IN WEST VIRGINIA?
I’ve never heard of that shirt or the controversy, and I don’t get the joke: 64%
Yes: 27%
I’m aware, but it’s rude: 8%
My parents wouldn’t even get the joke: 1%

abercrombie051114_2_400.jpg

“It perfectly targets the girls who shop there. They’re boy-crazy.” Joey Steigelman, 15 (middle). “It was cool up until we were 16. Then it got this dumb-jock-meathead image.” Jay Brandt, 23 (bottom center). “It’s such a cliché. I used to live in Long Island, and I got sick of the whole everyone-looking-the-same.” Chelsea Turowsky, 16 (far right). (Photo credit: Todd Selby)

Why do you like it?
“It’s stylish and sleek.”
—Richard Peebles, 21

“I have long limbs, and it fits me well.”
—Rachel Lin, 17

Why do you dislike it?
“It’s very logotistical.”
—Andrew Markoff, 13

“It’s overpriced.”
—Essi Collins, 13

Who wears Abercrombie?
“Sorority girls and frat boys.”
—Carassa Mohammed, 16

“Rich poseur kids.”
—Max Wang, 13

“Blonde New Jersey girls with fake nails.”
—Naomi Sosner, 17

What did you think of the nudity?
“I’m an artist, so I don’t care.”
—Richard Peebles, 21

“Their strategy is so obvious, showing teenagers in nothing but a Christmas hat.”
—Elli Marcus, 16

“I heard it targets gay men.”
—Suzannah Balluffi-Fry, 15

If Abercrombie made a T-shirt making fun of NYC, what would it say?
“IT’S ALL RELATIVISTS IN NEW YORK.”
—Jonathan Taveras, 29

“IT SMELLS LIKE PISS: WELCOME TO NEW YORK.”
—Winston Reid Jr., 23

Very interesting.

I myself don't like Ab and Fitch. The sizing is weird.

I do like Hollister better, but just because of the destroyed jeans. (I can't get enough of them).

Maybe if they wanted to capatilize in "ghetto" South Street (I cringe when I hear that word), they should use a wider vareity of models. Though they do have a few black models in some of their ads, other races are rarely seen.

I really do not like A&F, its already cringe inducing when I hear people think its designer :doh:

LOL were any of you around the Fifth Avenue store yesterday around opening time (10ish in the morning)...it looked like a madhouse, I was almost tempted to go over just to see what the fuss and the store was about. LOTS of middle America looking tourists huddled outside in the cold waiting for it to open.

That said, I'm not a fan of Abercrombie at all and some of the descriptions in the original post article are just out of whack..."sleek and stylish" is the LAST descriptions I'd associate with A&F.

PRADA_on_pointe said:
(nymag.com)
Are you the type of person Abercrombie epitomizes?
No. I’m black: 2%

:lol: that's so true...

yes, i have a few abercrombie pieces :innocent:

Fade to Black said:
That said, I'm not a fan of Abercrombie at all and some of the descriptions in the original post article are just out of whack..."sleek and stylish" is the LAST descriptions I'd associate with A&F.

I had a laugh at that too. :lol: How sleek can you be wearing ripped up jeans and a shirt that says "Spitters are Quitters"? :rolleyes:

But yes....I own that Spitters shirt. :innocent: It was for this party I swear. :lol:

I do own A&F unlogoed pieces and with the way I wear them...no one will ever know. Kinda glad because A&F image is associated with things that are far from me and proved further by this survey.

I like non logoed A&F and even hollister.

i have a cardigan from A&F I'm quite fond of... I get a lot of basic colored shirts from there and stuff because they're pretty cheap, good quality and cut.

but yea, everyone who says anything negative about A&F has more than a point...

abercrombie again, I really dont like them, its pretty obvious why some of their stores are so dark inside :innocent:

Fade to Black said:
LOL were any of you around the Fifth Avenue store yesterday around opening time (10ish in the morning)...it looked like a madhouse, I was almost tempted to go over just to see what the fuss and the store was about. LOTS of middle America looking tourists huddled outside in the cold waiting for it to open.

Seriously, OMG.

IMO, A&F and Hollister (though not so much) are overrated and overpriced.

I can't believe they're taking Fifth now. I thought that was about high luxury, not high school bullsh*t. When did you say the Burger King would open? :innocent:

^ :lol:

Im sick of all these stores trying to be higher end than they are. Nobody ever lives up to the name they are supposed to be, all these companies are trying to be something theyre not, like Sean John for example. Now abercrombie. :rolleyes:

I won't buy jeans or denim from them. I hate when they splatter ABERCROMBIE on the t-shirts. I don't mind the moose logo because it's not noticable.
Their tank tops are looooooooong and I appreciate that. The cut is flattering and unlike C&C california it doesn't stretch out. I have two zip ups from Abercrombie & Fitch and they are soo warm with fleece and thermal blend.
My philosophy: give it a chance for basics. Splurge on classic brands. It's all about the way you wear it. :smile:

Okay well I must admit to having a few pieces of abercrombie myself but I DO like the fitted henleys they carry. They look quite nice and are afordable but not cheap. It doesn't even have a visable moose!!

Aside from a few non-descriptive shirts from Abercrombie I really don't like the whole catalog style they have going on. I don't even feel like it does "prep-style" justice.

yourbestfriend said:
abercrombie again, I really dont like them, its pretty obvious why some of their stores are so dark inside :innocent:

LMAO The last time my friends dragged me into hollister (not on my own free will) I could barely see a thing. The music is so loud in Abercrombie, it makes my head hurt

What do you think about their clothes? The way the A&F life style is represented? Working there has certainly given me a new perception of A&F, but what about you? :D :D :D

:mohawk: :clap:

their clothes are really good in quality, y'know

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gosh, in High School everything was Abercrombie...I know in Asian countries people pay out the mouth for Abercrombie, I know my friend's cousin wanted her to bring a bunch of stuff over there when she went to visit because they can only get it on eBay or something and it was outrageously expensive.

I still like Abercrombie, I wear the logo stuff to the gym. I have to say I'm not blonde, not from Jersey and I do NOT have fake nails. LOL!

^Do you think A&F is more popular now or more popular when you were in HS? :wink:

Abercrombie & Fitch is extremely popular in my school, along with Hollister. I don't have a problem with the brand - the pieces are well produced and long lasting - but I personally do not wear any of the pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->