About Starting a Makeup & Cosmetics Company

F

Fashiongirl1

I was looking at some make up companies. I was watching a show and it featured a woman who started her own makeup company. When I came from work today I began to research her and her company. I discovered she was a celeb make up artist. Well, anyway this led me to researching other make up/fragrance companies. I was wondering if it is a requirement for one to be a make up artist to start a successful, make up and fragrance company. Among the lines of Estee Lauder(especially), Covergirl... L'Oreal, Revlon et... No one starts out at the top (obviously) I was just using them as example of very successful companies.

I have been wondering how one could began their own make up/fragrance company without having a clothing line behind it (it seems as many fashion designers branch out into this field after establishing their clothing lines) or being a celeb make up artist.

If I am writing in the wrong thread. I apologize. I just figured this was related to the "make up artist breaking into the biz" thread.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well known, celebrity makeup artists ... who have have established themselves are much, much more likely to succeed at a makeup line than a run of the mill makeup artist ... unless that artist has some revolutionary product. However, developing that new product would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and require major investors.

So ... what most artists do when they sell a line in their own name is purchase them from one of only a couple of companies that sell "no name" products and they will put your name on them. On of the companies is actually called "Your Name" and the other that I know if is Lady Burd. It's all the same makeup. What makes the difference is the marketing ... so if you have a well known name, known in the average household, that is one big step up in the marketing of it. It actually has nothing to do with being a makeup artist ... anyone can do it. It's just that the famous artists already have the name and the buzz and have a chance to succeed by using their name and their celeb contacts.

If you are reasonably successful, you will be bought out by a major corporation, like Estee Lauder (who owns, M.A.C, Bobbi Brown ... yes she sold out too ... Clinique, Aramis, Prescriptives, La Mer, Bumble and Bumle, Origins, Aveda, Donna Karan, Sean Jean, Daisy Fuentes and the list goes on).

Interesting I must say. You know so much about this industry thats great.

Thanks! I mainly know about the people I work with ... models, photographers, makeup/hair artists ... because I am interested in what they do too. So I ask a lot of questions when we have a break in the work.

What about if someone wants to open a retail store like Sephora selling makeup cosmetics and fragrances. Would one need to be a successful makeup artist for that too? If not what type of experience would one need for that. I know there are many retailers who sell other brands whether it be amazon.com, best buy etc... I was just wondering whats the deal with companies like Sephora?

Thanks

It's really all about sales ... it's retail. Not really anything to do with being a makeup artist. That would require business and sales skills. Yeah ... they sometimes like artists to demo the products but it does not require highly skilled artists ... they want highly skilled salespeople, who just happen to be able to apply makeup too.

BetteT. A while back I asked about owning your own make up company, and you told me about going at it.

I have a couple of questions. You said its all the same make up. Do you mean the "no name" companies that you gave me, or do you mean all of the companies as a whole. Estee Lauder, MAC (owned by Estee Lauder), Covergirl, L'oreal and "no name" for example?

When you talk about coming out with a new product, do you mean the types of products that other beauty come out with like wet slicks or something like that? They are always introducing new products. They must have created it some how?

Also, what about Mary Kay? As far as I know she was not a Make-Up Artist and her company is successful? But you did say that its all about the marketing.

All in all, are you saying creating a Cosmetics company isn't expensive. Its creating a new product that is expensive. Am I right? And obviously all of that other good stuff that goes with starting any company in general.

Also what about skincare products like Neutrogena? I am not crazy about starting a co. like this but I was wondering if creating some special type of Make-Up cost hundreds-of thousands of dollars (for all the obvious reasons). Does this same thing apply to a skin care company? As far as ALL of their products are concerned?

Do famous Make-Up Artist go to these same companies to get their products manufactured or get their products. I know they have the name and buzz. I am talking about the make-up products in general. Do they get their products from the "no name"companies as well?

Most importantly are these products from "no name" companies safe

Okay I'm done. Sorry for the questions. I just got confused with some of this stuff.

Thanks a Bunch

You said its all the same make up. Do you mean the "no name" companies that you gave me, or do you mean all of the companies as a whole. Estee Lauder, MAC (owned by Estee Lauder), Covergirl, L'oreal and "no name" for example?

It's not all the same ... but the small brands are pretty much made by a very few factories ... they don't make their own ... they just buy it and label it as their own. I was basically talking about those ... that is how most makeup artists start when they start their own line. Companies like Estee Lauder which owns half the world of cosmetics probably has it's own labs and research teams.

When you talk about coming out with a new product, do you mean the types of products that other beauty come out with like wet slicks or something like that? They are always introducing new products. They must have created it some how?

There are a few ways of coming out with a "new" product ... the first, easiset and most cost effective is your source creates something new and you buy it, and start marketing it for the first time ... or you just start to carry something that you never carried before ...so it's "new" to your line. Or the real ways ... the expensive way ... you hire a lab to create a special product for you with the ingredients you specify. And the most costly way ... reasearch .... and develping new ingredients altogether. That requires a lab and scientists ... probably your own.

Also, what about Mary Kay? As far as I know she was not a Make-Up Artist and her company is successful? But you did say that its all about the marketing.
Exactly ... you don't have to be a makeup artist to have a line and be successful .... but if you are already a successful and famous MU artist ... you can use your name to create a buzz about your line. That is one way to market your products. Or you can be a celebrity and use your name for a line .... you don't need to have any expertise ... you hire the people. Or they hire you, just for your name, but you don't run or own the company.

All in all, are you saying creating a Cosmetics company isn't expensive. Its creating a new product that is expensive. Am I right?

Yes ... it's relative inexpensive to buy from a "no name" producer , put your own name/brand on it and resell the product.

I don't know anything about skincare products ... that's related, but it's not makeup. But I suspect it's similar.

Do famous Make-Up Artist go to these same companies to get their products manufactured or get their products. I know they have the name and buzz. I am talking about the make-up products in general. Do they get their products from the "no name"companies as well?

I don't know but it's possible. More likely they hire a lab to produce something to their specifications.

Most importantly are these products from "no name" companies safe
AS far as I know they are or they would not still be in business.

Great thread!
I always thought about starting something in beauty (probably relating to nail products). Great info!

WOW. Thanks so much for the answers. This is really informative. I know that the celebs just slap their names on products and get royalties plus I think they aren't even putting up their own money for this. I guess this because... They aren't the ones running/owning the company. That part I did not know lol.

I guess "no name" products is pretty popular for those who want to get into the make up business. Its obvious that if you don't market it correctly you will more than likely be unsuccessful. You are so right. Also, I realized that many celebs, but not all celebs can pull that "clothing line" "beauty" put my name on this stuff lol. There are several artist who tried to do this "with clothing" and it did not work as far as I know, but this isn't about clothing its about beauty. And its about being a good business person and knowing how to market your product.

How do those companies go by approaching celebs to use their names? I mean if you look at it. If you come out with a product that has no name, many people would be like... what is it about your make up that is any different from anyone else’s lol? I guess that is where the marketing strategies come in.

On the flip side folks may just think… what makes your product different from any other major brand out there??

I take it that buying inventory for having your own makeup business is not very expensive. Its the marketing that is expensive. You mentioned that is how most makeup artist also start by doing the “no name” companies. You also said that more likely they will hire a lab produce what they wants this how the popular ones start their companies or is can new folk makeup artist or not start their company? So basically some makeup artist will put their name on no name products to get started, and some will hire labs. Its based on preference. That is what I am getting from this. But can new people to the business hire labs too as the known ones? I guess the well known ones have the major investors to back them up if they don’t have the funding, because of their name.

Thank you so much for the info. I am also doing my own research. I appreciate it though. I tried to find out about this a while back, but I couldn't really get anywhere.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! lol

Hi again, after deciding that fashion is not for me I guess I would be more interested in make up but on the business side. My question is geared towards the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing Major at FIT. Does anyone know if its real helpful? Does anyone

Is it necessary to go back and get another Bachelor's Degree in Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing in order to pursue a career in this, or should I just go for a couple of courses specifcally in Marketing. I would like to know specifcally what I can apply to this specific career in the business side of the cosmetics industry. I do not mind doing that either because its all about the marketing of products. Their Cosmetics program at FIT I believe is only a day time program and I really cannot afford to go to school in the day time because I need a day time full time job for now. I do not think they have an evening program for this.

My other question is does anyone know of any books to learn more about this type of business as a teach it at FIT? I wanted to know what books do they assign their students? I can't do the Graduate Program. They need experience people in their Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing and Management industry already to get into their Graduate Program.

I can't afford to work as a starving poor make up artist for the next two years.

Thanks

I wanted to add is it possible for someone to do make up artist work on a Part-Time Basis? Just to get your name out there?

Thanks

This thread is about starting a cosmetics line ... not actual makeup artistry or working as an artist. There is a thread where you may ask this last question.
Becoming a Makeup Artist - training, schools and breaking into the biz

Or are you just saying that you want to work at this part time in order to to sell your own line? If that's the case, I would say no .... you really need to become famous to "get your name out there" enough to make any diffenence. And that requires full time dedication to working as an artist and building a "celebrity" clientelle ... not just being an artist who does weddings or photoshoots on everyday models for ads and catalogs, etc. A regular every day artist, won't have enough name clout to promote his/her line of products. That will still require professional marketing and advertising ... plus major financial backers. Most MUA's that I know with lines don't really make much money from it ... they can't even sell to clients, unless they are non pros like brides and grads.

Hi BetteT Sorry about that. What about my last question before that one based on the Marketing? Do you know if you could help me a little bit with that?

Thanks for answering this question for me. I guess that is going to take quite a bit without me working as a MUA.

Thanks

It would take quite a bit just working as a MUA too ... most (something like 95%) fail at making enough money to support themselves ... much less getting famous.

I can't answer your question about marketing classes at FIT because I never went there.

If you want to start a retail and/or manufacturing business, I would suggest earning a full business degree at a University ... with a specialy in entreprenurial studies which can teach you all about starting up, running and creating a profitable business. Starting up a business selling cosmetics is no different than starting any new business ... the basics are all the same. I don't think that marketing classes at a fashion school will give you more than just an idea of how much more you will need to learn and what put into practice to actually succeed.

Hi there I guess you are right. I did finish college in Business Management already I guess my next step would be to actually get a job working for a a beauty company and taking some courses specifcally in Entrepreneurship.
The MUA thing won't do.

Thanks BetteT

If you want to work in the cosmetics industry, studying the science side of things wouldn't go amiss. If you became aquainted with ingredients, manufacture, research techniques etc, it would add another string to your bow (and you would sound impressive when talking about your products).

tigerrouge, I was thinking about learning to do all of that stuff, plus working for a Cosmetics Company but on the business side since I have a business degree already. I have no idea on how to actually get into these cosmetics companies and start building a career there. I really would like to get into one of these companies though.

There is so much to learn about the cosmetics industry, I don't know where to start. I don't know where to turn to learn about any of this stuff. I would love to learn about the entire business of cosmetics but I can't go to class for it because I am not about to get another degree, I can't afford it either nor do I have the time. I don't mind getting a MBA in this field either if I can get my foot in the door because they are looking for professionals in the industry already so I wouldn't even qualify.

Does anyone know where to start learning about this industry? Can anyone point me to any inexpensive books, any websites... anything?

Does anyone know how any of the major players in the industry got started? I don't mean how Estee Lauder got started I mean people that hold top positions in these companies.

One more question that has been bugging me for a while now. How does someone get a job/career in a fashion company but on the beauty side. For example Victoria Secret's Beauty division? This has been bugging the crap out of me for a minute now lol.Can someone pleas help me?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->