Becoming a Makeup Artist - training, schools and breaking into the biz

if you live in Toronto, just go to the local department stores & ask one of the make-up artists there..while some of them may NOT have taken an actual course on make-up (some of the ones I know got their jobs just by knowing the right person), im sure they can point you in the right direction..

hope this helps..best of luck...:flower:

Thanks a lot...I've been searching a lot on the internet and found some schools but I just dont know which one is the best choice to go to. I also want to know about the graduate employment rate as well

what about in Sydney??? i'm trying to find a make-up course which will get me qualified as a professional make-up artist????

Anyone here is studying to be an Aesthetician?

Or knows anyone who is one? Im curious about this career and is very interested in it. I know that aesthiticians care for the skin especially facial skin. I was wondering if any of you know more about being an aesthetician and what kinds of things you do in aesthetician school? What I need to take and what I should expect to do. Right now I go to a regular college trying to get a bachelors degree and after that maybe go to an aesthetician school. I would like to work in the beauty industry. I just want to know anyone who has experienced in this field and tell what its like? just so I can get a better idea you know :D

My best friend is just finishing up at Katherine Hinds....
he loved it (He was the only boy!)
He learned ALOT! He can do lots of different kinds of facials, waxing, etc.
It's a good career for someone who really likes people...
since you are doting on them all day and pampering them.
It's alot more scientific than you might think...

Good Luck!!

My sister is finishing her studies as an aesthetician,she wants to continue her studies in a very famous school for professional makeup ,as she wants to work in cinema and showbiz, which is "Ecole Fleurimon in Paris" http://www.fleurimon.com/

i have just decided to be a make-up artist but i want to get in to the fx for movies and things like that anyone know where i would go to to start that?

Yes, get a course :wink:
I don´t see anyone hiring a fx makeup artist without a course. You have to know a lot of technique!

I have to say, i simply agree that you have to have a course in any makeup area.
Before i did mine, i had no pretensions in what i knew, but years of reading and practice, wouldn´t have put me where i am now if i didn´t do the course, and i just say this because i haven´t read anywhere the techniques i learned during the course.
And reading isn´t exactly the same as having someone near you pointing out the flaws and getting you to do things just right!

Of course like others mentioned, there is no formula, but that´s a bit like saying that you don´t have to study to be an actor. Yes, you may not need as many lessons, but good actors weren´t just born with that.

In makeup yes, you can practice, but lessons, a diploma and some good school pics for a first portfolio, will put you ahead of those who are still aspiring.
I really do think it´s hard to know the right ways to do things such as applying eyeshadow, when you are just practicing without knowing the basics.

...and yet, there are so many things to learn and so much practice to do. :wink:

Well first u have to have ur high school Then u find a good college wear they offer a course on esthetics, Go to a college that u like nad that will be right for you but also not a place to party u have a lot of work to get done if u really want this and u dont want to blow alot of money for nuttin even if its your parents paying then u will be an assistant in a company or u can make ur own bussiness out of it your choice but one step at a time and make sure to plan ur goals along the way!:D Try this site where they offer esthetics You might find somethig useful and research to find a school u like!

http://gta-online.com/avola-college/esthetics.html

Knowing skincare and esthetics is useful information to know. But if you're looking to do makeup for film,t.v. or fashion shows it's all about who you know and your portfolio. Whether it's beauty or FX you have a few choices go to school that specializes in makeup or assist an established makeup artist. You can teach your self but you'll miss out on learning alot of tricks and probably make alot of mistakes. Assisting is great way to get around the high school costs. Search for established artists in your area. Offer to assist them for little or no pay in return for training. Visit www.makeupmentors.com. Once you start working on your portfolio make friends with photographers. Volunteer your services for events and any special occasions. Practice as much as you can. That way when a big job comes your way you'll be ready.

I'm a student studying Makeup Artistry. I go to my local college to study for a one year diploma. After that I plan on studying for 3 more years and gain a degree in Makeup Artistry. After then, to the top I go (after about another 6 years of doing work for nothing and building up a portfolio).

My course costs around £1700 for the year. It'll cost me around £10k in total after the degree.

Why go six years without being paid? I know people who worked hard and within a year started receiving paying gigs

I started off by going throug a course, I worked in salons as a hairstylist and makeup artist.

I lended my services to local fashion shows and photographers in turn for pics to build my portfolio.

I also did some counter work for various lines in department stores.

I've decided to take an esthetician course. I was wondering if anyone here knows about the businees. How do you get a job after? Do you rent booths? Do you have to keep your nails really short? :smile: Anything that anyone knows would help so much. I'm really excited about it!!

I would LOVE to be makeup artist. I am a 17 yr old boy and know WAAAAY more about it than my 44 yr old mom does, lol! It would be so fun to make people beautiful for my job :smile:

After fussing with fashion, I find myself more suitable for makeup. I feel more passion for makeup than fashion. I am planning to learn theatrical makeup after damn high school. I am considering my career in makeup, as a starving makeup artist.

chicsassy7 said:
I've decided to take an esthetician course. I was wondering if anyone here knows about the businees. How do you get a job after? Do you rent booths? Do you have to keep your nails really short? :smile: Anything that anyone knows would help so much. I'm really excited about it!!

I don't know about the other questions but as a beauty student it is necessary to keep your nails short (not past the tip of your finger) and unpolished- that's one thing I hate the most.

Thanks so much for the reply I tried to give you karma but it said I couldn't :(

I'm so excited I'm starting the course on Tuesday. I'll come back and let you all know what it's like for those of you that are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->