Becoming a Makeup Artist - training, schools and breaking into the biz

But I don't understand why you think that learning makeup will assist you in becoming an art director ... the aesthetic skill you will need is similar (having a good, artistic eye,. which people either have or they don't, it can't be taught) but that is about it. You would never tell a makeup artist how to do their job ... just tell them what the concept is and if you have something specific in mind, show them a picture. Then you would colaborate with the artist, let them do their thing and then, if it's not what you want, ask for adjustments. None of that would require any makeup skill at all.

Of course, any knowledge is good and can be used to your advantage. So if it's something you want to do, it will certainly round you out some .... but no one will care if you can do makeup or not. Just so you know ... and can decide on the best use of your time.

How about assisting a freelance makeup artist? You do most of the grunt work for them ... cleaning brushes, keeping them organized, etc. but you'd be able to see how things work on set ... which is what you need to know to be an art director. And you would learn about makeup without having to be super competent in it. Some artists want assistants that can do a whole face on their own, but many just want someone to help them so they can do the makeup .... so if you have basic skills and can demonstrate that you will work really hard for them ... they might want to hire you for some gigs.

oh, ok, thank you for that part.:unsure: Hmmm, well I understand that an art director wouldn't need physical application-of-makeup skills but also, I am not expecting to start off in that role right after graduation. I don't know exactly what the path is, but I'd like to be able to do whatever comes up to make money while I'm trying to get to that goal and thought "maybe if I have chances to do shoots but can't get a makeup artist, we'll still be okay If I can do it..." but then, I guess if I know several makeup artist friends at home, when I move to the city I'll probably quickly know several makeup art friends there too who'd need pics for their folio and help me or whatever. Actually, come to think of it, I think I already know at least one acquaintance in the city who is a MA. Considering what you've said, I don't think just working at a counter would be the best use of my time, and depending on the brand, it may not teach you as much, and yes I have retail experience, but my genuine interest would be more in learning/refining skills and knowledge of makeup than selling, though I can sell. I just thought being more well-rounded would help but it seems like it might be wasted energy now. And I can still practice on myself and ask those friends to show me things.

p.s. if you think this is better in the Art Director thread feel free to change it. Thanks for your thoughts and info.:flower:

I think this discussion is fine here since you asked how to learn to do makeup and about working a retail makeup job.

But you might want to read the AD thread, then ask about some of the various career paths you might take to become one, in that thread.

hello, first time here... I am a Year 2 university students right now, but i have decided to follow my passion to be a make up artist and a image stylist/consultant (>.<). Since I am going back to HOng Kong after finishing this semester (which ends at April), i would just like to ask which courses would be good for me while what type of pre-requisite should i have?!

This thread is for makeup artists ... are you interested in makeup ... or fashion styling? If fashion styling is what you are interested in there's a huge thread about how to do that ... lots and lots of infomation about how to get started and how to build a business. Not so much on personal styling (styling the public, not models or celebs)... mostly freelancing in the fashion industry, but there is a bit of personal consultation info in there too. Here's the thread. All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

As far as makeup goes ... I have no idea how it is in HK, but in the US, you must go to an accredited cosmetology school and then must pass a practical application and written test (each state has a different test) to get your license to do makeup or hair in a salon. However. ... in some states, like California, you do not need a license if you are working in the fashion or entertainment industry on actors or models, but still must have one if you are cutting or coloring hair or doing anything with the public, like brides, etc. A weird law ... probably because so many people here work in the movie industry. If you are interested in working with models, actors, singers, etc ... then read this thread.

If you are planning to work with the public or in a salon, I strongly suggest that you contact the HK goverment to see if licensing is required and check out schools that can get you ready for the test.

And wardobe styling and/or consulting ... in the US does not require any formal training nor any licenses. You just need to be good at it and know how to build your business. Check out the Fashion Stylist thread for all the various things you need to be able to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to break into the make-up artistry industry.
Does anyone know of any good course in Melbourne, Australia??

^There are several well known schools in London - they are usually listed in the back of Vogue and Harpers Bazaar.

Try these: Gluaca Rossi
Greasepaint
Brushstroke
Christine Blundell Make Up Academy
Delamar Academy

Those are some out of the ones listed in Vogue and i've seen them mentioned in magazines. I would imagine they all have websites.

^There are several well known schools in London - they are usually listed in the back of Vogue and Harpers Bazaar.

Try these: Gluaca Rossi
Greasepaint
Brushstroke
Christine Blundell Make Up Academy
Delamar Academy

Those are some out of the ones listed in Vogue and i've seen them mentioned in magazines. I would imagine they all have websites.

Thankyou very much! :flower:

how much experience would you need to have to work for a counter in a department store, such as benefit? like what sort of qualifications?

Working behind a counter is mainly sales, so loving sales and having some experience in commissioned sales is important. If you don't meet the minimum, you won't keep the job.

Aside from that, you just need to be reasonably competent and know how to use basic consumer products. If you have knowledge and expertise using thier line, in particular, that will help. They don't care much about what a real makeup artist can do ... or even about sanitation (which is really scary to me). What they do care about is that you can duplicate the looks for thier company ... each has their own way of doing makeup. That you have the "look" that they want for their salespeople. And that you can sell!!

so if i were to inquire about a job would you recomend maybe going to the counters and see how the girls are doing their makeup and how they do it on other people, maybe practice these? i use several benefit everyday and know alot about pretty much every product. Also you say an experience in commissioned sales, would this have to be in beauty or otherwise?

Not a bad idea to see what they are doing at the counter ... do some homework. Also take a look at what they wear ... I know the MAC has a uniform, sort of ... they must wear black. And maybe ask the sales people what they had to do to get the job (maybe they had to demonstrate thier makeup skills ... or had so show knowledge of the products). See if you can talk to them them during a quiet time. I think that sales is sales ... and all you have to do is to get an interview and then convince the interviewer that you are motivated, will represent the company well and can sell the product.

all the counters iv been to the girls wear black trousers and a black tshirt with benefit written on it. another thing is my college does alot of vocational courses as well as the average subjects and offer a chance to do one of the vocational things as an extra curricular thing, they do a makeup one, so im thinking of doing that as itll be probably one of the only free chances to do a course like that.

although some of the girls ive talked to when buying products are just completely clueless about the products, makes me madd because i want that job so much!

I start my make-up classes mid september, 6 weeks long and your tuition also pays for a big fully stocked mac case. At the end I'll be "certified" I'm not really sure how important that is.....it's the only thing of it's kind in the whole city so I don't have a lot of options,but I'm excited!!!!!

"Certified" means nothing to a commercial client if you are looking to work in fashion ... photo shoots, fashion shows, etc. Your portfolio, your resume and references mean the most. What almost all makeup artist schools don't tell you is that the school is barely the beginning of your learning and will not prepare you to walk in and score gigs. It's way more complex and difficult than that ... and most never make it in the industry.

If you want to do bridal work ... a "certification" might impress a more naive bride ... but you will still have to produce a body of work and be able to provide references.

Counter work at a dept. store is most likely the only gigs you might be able to get right out of school ... and that is mostly selling and no creativity at all. In fact, you don't even need to have had school to get a job behing a counter, as long as you can demosntrate that you can apply makeup well and can sell their products. I't's a sales job first ... not a job for a real talented makeup artist. But, if you can sell, it's a way to pay the bills. You can always test and build your portfolio on your days off.

Do be aware that you will probably take several years to build enough clientelle to support yourself as a freelance artist in the fashion industry. You will need to work for free and assist for free or for minimal pay in the first year or two and you will slowly build your contacts and build your kit (MAC alone won't cut it ... pros use a myriad of products from about 10 or more different lines ... what works best for them and their individual situations). Just like most things in fashion ... it's about who you know and, of course, how good a job you can do once they refer you. One misstep and you don't get called back for a second chance.

But if you are willing to work really hard, are very agressive about getting yourself out there to network and do consistent marketing and follow up calls, have the money to sink into it for the first year or two, and can support yourself some other way while you do this and still are able to take gigs on a day or two notice ... then you might have a chance. It's a very tough gig at a very tough time. Most of my experienced makeup artist colleagues are working at real jobs now at least part time ... because they can no longer support themselves on makeup gigs alone.

I don't want to be negative ... because a few people in the right circumstances will make it. It is just that you need to understand how it really works, before you make that major commitment. Otherwise, the money and time spent in school will be wasted. Food for thought .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Cameron Jane Makeup School (Sydney, Australia)

Hey guys, I am nearly finished with my Certificate II course at tafe and thinking about my plans for next year.. I'm very interested in the Cameron Jane course (Cert IV)... Mainly my goal is doing fashion related work after I get enough experience, (eg. runway, editorial etc.)

It would be great if some ex-students or anyone that knows about this school told me a little about their experience :smile: (recommendations for other good schools in Sydney are welcome)

I'm still aspiring even after being in the industry for 3 yrs.
Fashion weeks really dont pay u well but u can test how powerful you are as a makeup artist there...
Bridals are good but india too has a lot of competition these days where brides is every makeup artist's bread and butter...

I was thinking about becoming a makeup artist, but from what I've seen, there is way more job for estheticians who do makeup than for makeup artists, who create original look, paint on the face....:(
It's an irrealistic dream. I feel lost...

I finally decided that I CAN be a make-up artist. I know that I'll have to work hard and to work at fashion industry you need to know people etc, but I don't see myself doing anything but this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->