Becoming a Makeup Artist - training, schools and breaking into the biz

does going to a beauty school give anyone a leg up? or it is better to just make your own portfolio and apply to counters.?

Captain Obvious here again, but practice, practice, practice. On yourself, friends, hobos...anyone who won't sue you for it.

I want to be a makeup artist is well, that's basicly all I do mess around with makeup

I like being my own guinea pig when i'm starting up new concepts or ideas, but i wish i could take pictures.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get your hands on a good makeup kit? I know plenty of companies sell a version, but it's hard to tell which are reputable.

Aspiring Makeup Artist

hey guys! I'm going to be taking a makeup artist course in the fall (very excited about it!!) Is anyone here a makeup artist that can give me tips and advise me of how easy/hard it is to get a job in this profession?!
thx:D

See my answer to the thread named "Help!" ... asked by an aspiring fashion photographer. It's almost the same ... most makeup artists work freelance which means building your own business and finding new jobs almost everyday.

Here's the link .... http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?p=812115#post812115

Also ... go here to network with working makeup artists ... but a warning ... read the stuff for Newbies first and spend time reading the FAQ's ... most of your basic questions are in there ... tons of important information. These people are very helpfull, but you have to do your homework first ... they don't answer questions that come up all the time ... that's what the FAQ's are for ... and they'll tell you that.

http://p082.ezboard.com/bmakeupandrelatedindustries

And be aware that not many makeup schools teach you anything about how to conduct your business ... how to market yourself and to find jobs. And they don't usually tell you that you mostly work free for the first few years, while you build your portfolio and your reputation. If they do teach that ... then they are exceptional. School only teaches theory and lets you practice a little ... most of what you need to learn will be after you leave school.

thx for the help!!:D
i'll have to check this all out thouroughly when i get home from work!!
The class i'm taking has a marketing one that you can take optionally so i'm thinking i might take that one too now

that board is amazing, probably the most honest board, plus the info is really useful. I need make up help too!

School is fine, but the best thing to have on your resume is experience. Also, do free make up on models (use friends if you must), take GOOD photos. Keep working, stay fresh, don't specialize and have fun!

What way is best?

FrockRadar8 said:
does going to a beauty school give anyone a leg up? or it is better to just make your own portfolio and apply to counters.?

Read up on how the big names made it...guess what? They all started differently. Some are classically trained, some lied to get their first job and just kept working, some grew up doing make up. There is no right way to get into this business (or wrong way, for that matter). It's very cliche', but, "just do it."

i really...really want to do a make up course.....the courses are sooo expensive though :unsure:

Glamourette11 said:
I just came across this thread and thought I may be able to assist with regards to Make-up Artists in Australia. I have been a make-up artist and head tutor of a Sydney school of make-up for 15 years. I have worked in photographic, televison, special effects and film. I began as a 19 yearold on a make-up counter for 2 years. I then became state trainer for a major cosmetic house before studying Diploma level for 3 years. At the end of this 3 years of study and work experience and with a portfolio that has to be kept to the moment and the contact you build through, w/experience, school and particularly photographers you begin the extremely hard path of finding work. Most people I have trained over these 15 years and have made successful careers including myself are people that not only possess the necessary knowledge and skill but professionalism and most importanly fantastic people and communication skills. You need to able to sell yourself because most make-up artists freelance with the exception of permanent T.V station full time and p/t staff. It is advisable to study professionally no matter how creative uou are because each medium requires quite a differant approuch, and one needs to understand the importance of lighting and colour within each medium and what products, application and colour can be used within that medium. It is also important not to restrict yourself to one medium because it is highly unlikely that you will initially work within one single area and it takes one on an average of 5 years to have obtained f/t work within their desired field. Photographic m/up is extremely professional because their is no allowment for flaws, within t.v and film mediums is the eye shadow etc is not 100 percent perfect you may get away with it for the subject is in motion, in photographic it is extremely critical and simply a bad day can find you with a crocked lip line that will put you out of a job. This is why I advise good solid training and work experience, because it is only through seeing your work on film that you can truelly evaluate the standard of your skill. It is a demanding area and one is expected in Australia to complete a full make-up within 15 to 25 minutes and it is also required that the make-up artist in australia also is a hair stylist as of the mid 90's. This means that many hair dressors have trained as make-up artists and competiton is high for jobs. I could go on forever, but if anyone has any questions I can assist with pls let me know. I highly recommend it as a fab career and extremely flexible and has been wonderful for me to fit in now as an older woman around family and children. - Monique :flower:

This is so helpful! I have just completed my training in Canberra to be a make-up artist and Im feeling a little lost at what I do now. Do I keep doing weddings? Or do I approach photographers and ask for work?
Since Im just at the beginning of my career, I just dont know where to start.

All of this information has helped alot though! Especially the Australian veiws.

Make Up and Beauty careers

This one is for the makeup artists and for anyone else who may be of knowledge. Enlighten us...

After successfully completely a great makeup school, mastering the education of several aspects of makeup, and receiving certification - Where does one go next.

( lets gear this question towards a newly certified makeup artist in new york city )

How does one enter a field of fashion related makeup and enter the world of backstage beauty at a fashion show?

How does one follow in the footsteps of those like Pat McGrath and Charlie Green?

Is it advisable to also get a M.A.C Certification?

This question is geared toward those who breathe makeup and specifically want a lucrative career in high fashion make up. Anyone with insight would be loved x2, for their knowledge and suggestions.

I'm not a makeup artist ... but I always work with them, so I'll share what I've learned from them:

"Certification" means nothing ... absolutely nothing. Do not use that word in front of anyone who is knowledgeable in this biz unless you want them to see you as a newbie with no professional experience. I'm not saying not to go to a good makeup school, but that is not essential .... just like the thread about getting into fashion photography ... there's other ways to learn, too. You can pay a great artist their day rate for a few days and learn as much as you'd pick up at a school ... but have individual attention.

What matters is your portfolio and who you know. Your work will stand for itself ... so that is what you must focus on after learning how to do makeup. You will not be able to take your beginning portfolio from school and get the high end jobs. You will need to test and test and test again, untill your stuff looks like Pat McGrath's. In fact, you will test for the rest of your career ... because trends and techniques change. Seek out better and better photographers to test with .... ones who work with top knotch agency models ... because no matter how good your work is, if it isn't displayed in really great images with really great models, it will be perceived as less than good enough.

It's also all about who you know ... so assisting some good working artists will be a great way to start ... and learn more techniques and products, along the way. It's also a way to eventually have them throw you some bones ... if they like you ... which might include assisting them at fashion shows and magazine editorial shoots.

BTW ... being a MU artist backstage at most fashion shows won't pay a penny ... people just do it for the experience. And the same goes for most magazine editorials ... either no/lo pay or a small kit fee. Of course, when you become famous, then you get paid for keying things like this.

In the meantime, you need to make a living ... so most makeup artists do less glamourous things, like work retail for MAC or Laura Mercier, where they expect you to actually sell the product, do weddings and proms, and lots of other little gigs like headshots and work for local retailers.

Continue to network with the right people. Work/test with great photographers, since they do a lot of the hiring of MU artists and make connections with good working artists ... sometimes they need someone else to refer business to, when they are booked. Be very carefull when assisting other artists ... there's a code of ethics that says you can't take their clients ... so never approach them for work, give them your card or get too cozy with the client ... or you'll never assist another working artist again. Your job as an assistant is to make the key artist look good and then they will even refer you to other artists and it can grow from there.

Go to this forum ... and before posting any questions, make sure you have read through the many, many pages of FAQ's first. The professional artists here are very generous with their time and advice but don't like to answer the same old questions again and again. Approach them the right way and they'll be a great source of information and support.
http://p082.ezboard.com/bmakeupandrelatedindustries

Make-up School

Anyone here knows a good Make-up school in Toronto ??? I'm looking for a good school to go to this summer or spring... I'm intend to be a makeup artist but finding the right school is so hard ... anyone pls help me with that ?

this may or may not be of help, but hopefully it'll point you in the right direction..

i went to school for esthetics (skincare, bodywaxing, spa treatments) and make-up was part of the curriculum.. but i dont know if ALL esthetic courses include make-up application..

but im sure you can find a school in your area if you do a google-search..try "cosmetology courses" or something along those lines..and if you do find one, be sure to ask the local make-up artists which one is best..anybody that does make-up at in the department stores should help..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->