Addicted to buying fashion magazines, who has the same problem??

Boy, are you all going to be jealous...I went to work and one of the girls brought in tons of Vanity Fair and Vogues that her neighbor threw out- for me!! :woot: I don't think I have any of them, either...What a windfall!! :woot: B)

I think I'm moving into the next phase..:huh: Starting to buy Press Kits and sales material that Chanel sends to their rich customers...And gathering show and interview videos off of YouTube, that will be put on DVDs at some point, I am sure, and then I can play them on a loop on the TV...while I read fashion magazines, of course...:unsure:

i seriously need to cut back on buying magazines. it's getting to a point where i cannot keep track of which editorials/magazines i already own. :doh:

This thread is hiliarious, and it hits too close to home for me! I started buying fashion magazines off the newstand when I was like 15, and then ever since, have subscribed to about 8/month (i am 24). I initially saved all of them until my mom made me toss them away for space constraint reasons- so what I did was clip all the favorites photos and arrange them in a binder with plastic sleeves- and I organized them by model, or photographer, etc. It was a good idea because I could never have saved them all!!
But I can relate with all of you guys, who said you buy magazines over lunches, buy newstand issues before your subscriber issue arrives (I had to seriously limit my doing that- I was wasting so much money; eventually one of my friends accompanied me to the bookstore and wouldn't let me do it!) but i also admit to taking some from doctor's offices :ninja:

It is so bad because I am in grad school'; my income is loan-based and yet I still devote the majority of my finances to them. and there is no end in sight! during exams time it is very difficult to not be distracted by new magazines, I often will put off studying for hours to flip through a new one. not good.

Do we have the same mother? :huh: :lol:

Do what I do and buy it when she's not around and then don't leave them lying around. My mother doesn't mind the money so much as why I need so many.

I am also addicted; I have a set eight that I need every month: French Vogue, US Vogue, US HB, US InStyle, TeenVogue, UK Vogue, UK HB, UK InStyle this totals me at about $20 (because I have four on subscription) but then there's all the amazing covers just sitting there begging you to buy them with the infuriatingly beautiful images and the supple glossy pages that it's impossible to resist. Last month I bought (in addition to the P8) US Elle, Czech HB, Vogue Italia, L'Officiel, Allure, W and one I have never bought before called Love, it's really pretty.

I should probably stop but I can't. At least they won't kill me.

AbbeyRoad, you have to tell your best spots to score fashion mags in Philly (I'm not far away...) Since the Tower Records closed on South St I'm lost...:( Maybe we should compile a list of the best fashion magazine spots we know in each city- I have a secret one in NY...:unsure::brows:

^ Care to share? I'll be visiting NY next week :flower:

I have a crazy addiction to buying mags! My parents always comment on the growing piles of mags in my room and my friends always have to drag me away from newsstands! But my friends have been surprisingly understanding of my obsession :D.

I buy anywhere from 5-15 mags a month, I really think my collection will be a hindrance if I ever want to move!

Boomer I wish I knew of a shop that sold magazines old and new...but I just usually go to the Barnes & Noble on 34th and Walnut (Penn's) as well as Drexel's bookstore (33rd and Market). I like to go to the Gateway Newstand on 16th and Market occasionally, too. They usually have all the new issues. I am sorry to hear about the closing of the bookstore on South Street. I wish I had more time to explore the bookshops/newsstands!

^ Care to share? I'll be visiting NY next week :flower:

Varick Street in Manhattan- about one block North of Spring Street; the new Trump SoHo is on the corner of Spring, Starbucks is opposite and Chanel is two blocks East...So basically, everything you need right there!! The store is a little hole in the wall actually on Varick- with Walls of magazines- most of which I've never even seen!! Just bring money...lots... :unsure: :lol:

Varick Street in Manhattan- about one block North of Spring Street; the new Trump SoHo is on the corner of Spring, Starbucks is opposite and Chanel is two blocks East...So basically, everything you need right there!! The store is a little hole in the wall actually on Varick- with Walls of magazines- most of which I've never even seen!! Just bring money...lots... :unsure: :lol:
Thank you Boomer!!! :flower::flower:
I will make a visit and let you know how broke I am after.

Whenever i hang out in france (which for obvious reasons has the best magazine stores in the whole wide and vast world), I always spend a fortune on fashion magazine, the last time i've been there, i think i spent $300 in 7 days ;P

But i'd not say i'm seriously addicted, i rather find it thrilling and exciting to see what an
established magazine can come up with, if it's for new and creative or rather boring and trite features.

These days I just go to a very good equipped and large train station near by to fetch one or two delights ;P

As I'm just reading on on this thread, the penultimate of your comments (AbbeyRoad) made me just laugh really really hard, I don't believe it that you steal fashion magazines from your doctors office! ;> HEH!

Perhaps get rid of all the inferior and commonly poor magazines you've been dealing with, such as instyle (which i do not even remotely consider to be a fashion magazine) and all
that other "usa typical stardom mind numbing gossip etc" kinds of magazines. And buy the real magazines, the ones not many do know, that focus almost entirely on fashion per se.

Then your choices might wither away if you seriously consider to only buy fashion only magazines.

But that's just me trying to be wise, subjective, persuasive and insightful. ;<

But i think you get the point ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
To feed my magazine addiction I have started buying weekly magazines :ninja:

After all my years of paying full price and import price for foreign magazines, I bought this on eBay:
numro80aq8.jpg

For £1!

Yes! With a little postage charge on top. I couldn't believe my luck - such a great issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellison1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->