What happened to men's biannual magazines?

DanielWP

Reaction score
Looking through my men’s biannual magazine collection the other day, I realised that since 2010-2012 there was not really an edition that I really liked.
They are boring. Even the acclaimed photographers and stylists works are run-of-the-mill. I miss real creativity from them.
Arena Homme is nothing it was under Jo-Ann Furniss.
Another Man is coming up with covers for teens (they buy it though, if that’s the point..).
Vogue Hommes Paris is just not the same sine the death of Francesco Cominelli.
Hercules Universal is going towards London with it’s styling lately..
Fantastic Man has no new ideas for a while, they are just doing the same all over again.
etc…

I really miss masculinity from these magazines also.

What do you guys think?
Who is really the target group of these magazines?
Maybe it’s just me who can’t keep up with trends anymore?

I really miss masculinity from these magazines also.

What do you guys think?
Who is really the target group of these magazines?
Maybe it’s just me who can’t keep up with trends anymore?

This! I miss the days when Noah Mills, Garrett Neff, Andres ++ were on the covers and they were all exuding attitude, seduction, fashion, and energy all at the same time. The covers and stories were sexy yet the fashion and the concept was amazing still.

But now, we have models in oversized garment, multi layers, shot in weird and odd angles (either solo or in groups)... all looking as if they don't want to be there or as if they want to get the shoot over and done with because they're so sleepy. The imagery is flat. I've seen better energy. Gone are the crisp and eye-catching shots.

The target group? Honestly, I think they're targeting the female teen. Imagine Cameron Dallas scoring a Vogue Hommes feature for doing what? Social Media?

These men's magazines seriously NEED to step it up.

It's really not you-- it's them.

Once, in the late-90s all the way to the late-2000s, I would actually be excited to pick up my biannual issues of Homme Plus, Vogue Homme, Another Man, VMan etc, not just for the fashion presentations, but also for the graphic design, storytelling, art direction of the season.

So much attitude, mood, sex appeal and worldbuilding then. Fashion was just a component to the whole.

Nowadays... I can get the same visuals from IG. Those heading these publications must be going through some midlife-crisis cos they're so desperate to be down with the kids rather than inspire the kids.

And yes, I agree with MON: The teen girls must be the ones that are the easiest to part with their coins since the majority of coverstars are aimed at them. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookbabe001
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->