Reaction score
I didn't see a thread specifically about the types of "dress codes"

We seem them everywhere...

business casual
business formal
semi formal
black tie
casual friday :P

...but how do you know what they mean. certainly not everyone uses these terms by one standard definition for all. what contexts do you read into to know what clothes to put on?

or better even... do you even pay attention (you style rebels, you!)??

I think these terms are funny, especially amongst a young crowd. I am a student rep at a dinner tomorrow night and it's interesting to hear the range of clothes being worn.. from dresses (and that some people consider ANY dress to be "formal"...) to men without jackets and those with.

what advice can we give each other about dressing politely.

I know despite some of the dress codes you mentioned, sometimes they have to be even more defined (ie, no jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, etc).

I tend to google terms I don’t understand, or ask here. If I'm still unsure, Ill ask the host/other guests/HR/co-workers, etc.

Tonight I'm going to a holiday party for work and the dress code is "business or dressier" and "dressy" for the children. Most of the people will be wearing suits and cocktail dresses probably, but the description left it open to interpretation and can imagine some individuals showing up in kakis and non-dressy shirts. I will be wearing a vintage cocktail dress and my SO will probably be in his usual all-black Armani getup: probably slacks, shirt, sweater, cashmere jacket. To him that’s pretty dressed up given he wears nothing but REI clothes any other times. :lol

Sometimes there is a black tie event here; but the term “black tie” is not so vague. It is what it is and it supposed to mean tux and formal gown.

I understand business casual as polos and dockers.
Business formal would be a suit with tie.
Semi formal would be dress shirt and pants, no tie.
Black tie is tuxedo.
Casual friday is tee, jeans and sneakers.

If I'm not too sure what to wear I would just call the host.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->