:::advertising:::

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by cournalie_clash, Oct 26, 2004.

1. cournalie_clash

cournalie_clash New Member

are you FOR or AGAINST adverts???

adverts...beautiful people...amazing products...keeping society together!?!?

2. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

3. Amélie

Amélie New Member

okay, i'll help you out B...

i've studied advertising in english, it's a little bit horrible when you really think about the values and attitudes advertising endorses...

i'm definatly critical of advertising and think it's a really hard part of society that just has to be accepted...

4. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Advertising breaks the concept of businesses as 'pricetakers' and therefore undermines the entire capitalist system...

5. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

But then even capitalists undermine the entire capitalist system with their 'diluting' of the principals...

I quite like advertising myself - I know how to just say no when push comes to shove. :P

Where's tangerine? :innocent:

6. tangerine

tangerine Soviet Camaro

Did someone say my name? :lol:

I have no formal training or studies in the theory, history or sociopolitical implications of advertising. I am, however, immersed in it many hours a week, from the postproduction perspective.

Personally I find the idea of it pretty revolting, and most of the ads are pretty revolting as well. I don't like the values promoted or the least-common-denominator "language", be it visual or verbal.

Having said that, television advertising in general has the biggest budget per second onscreen of any motion picture medium, and as a result, when a clever idea is put together with top-notch talent and production, the results can be pretty impressive, and even become part of the cultural landscape and collective consciousness, for better or worse.

To answer the original question, being for or against advertising is really being for or against a capitalist society, as they are inseparable. Ideally, we would find a better system than capitalism, but in practice, it seems to be the most successful system, at least from a Darwinian point of view.

So, I accept it as a necessary evil.

Plus, it pays the rent.

:lol:

7. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V

I still don't get it :huh:

Then again, I don't need to get it either :doh: :lol:

8. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

It's true - proof that conservatism isn't working.

9. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

Everyone beat me tot he socio-political punch, so I'll just say I like them. They are a an aid to a visual experience to an otherwise colourless life in the city.
    Not really, but they fill me with joy they do...

10. AlexN

AlexN New Member

To put it really simply, they can be bad, dangerous, and stupid.

11. Sloan

Sloan I love model_mom!

They can be both good and bad. People need to look at ads as a way of conveying information. It is up to the individual as to how they will be influenced by a particular ad.

12. Acid

Acid yes

:rofl: me neither, lets go out partying and leave them to do the thinking :innocent:

13. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

agreed...plus it pays my rent too... :innocent:

14. Aida.Sevan

Aida.Sevan New Member

What do I think of advertising? Well, I think its quite natural that we have advertisements all around us. Long time ago I've read one book where the main point was advertising, and there was a man living in future and not happy about it. The problem was that all the advs were pushing him from all sides because of their huge amount. They were everywhere: in transport, on TV... like people just couldnt live without them...

Well, may be it has a negative side, but thats the only way for companies to sell their products, tointerest people in buying them.
    (I hope that Ive expressed my point of view clearly. :blush: )

15. saad

saad New Member

you cant expect there to be no advertisements in todays capitalist world because theyve become a fundamental part of the whole 'scene'. whether we like it or not, its us, really, whove made them as important as they are.
    (if you want, i could paste the 3 page i wrote on advertisements for my a level economics :P)

but if we start talking about the quality of ad's (esp. how unethical some of the most followed ad's are)...now thats a whole different story :innocent:

16. Aida.Sevan

Aida.Sevan New Member

Would you please do it, cos Im interested! :woot:

17. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

You two are awesome... :lol: B) It's just a fact of life.

18. Kimkhuu

Kimkhuu New Member

Well advertising is marketing and marketing is money..... ...and everybody wants money.

I don't get how you can be AGAINST advertising, I mean, if you're not happy with the way the society works, just IGNORE all those ads, nobody's gonna shoot you if you don't care about them. If someone's easy influencable, then too bad... ...that's the power of advertising... ...what do you want...

Good or bad, it's part of our society.

19. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

Did anyone see that futurama where advertising was beamed directly into our dreams?

20. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

I get you B)