Alexander McQueen F/W 2018.19 by Jamie Hawkesworth

Vittoria's shots give off strong Helmut Newton vibe which I crave:heart:

As fantastic and visually-appealing as both Rianne and Vittoria's shots are, Shanelle's is clearly the standout here - and they shouldn't of bothered with Rianne or Vittoria this season. I am in sheer awe of that shot of Shanelle, everything from head-to-toe works for me (including the San Francisco backdrop). :heart:
I agree! That first shot is perfection. If only Jamie could’ve done something like this for his first Vogue cover.

What has Sarah Burton ever done that has anything to do with McQueen?

It's a question I've asked since I saw her first collection for the brand. In fact, it somewhat bothers me that it's not being asked enough on here and elsewhere, especially with McQueen's spirit still so alive. There's not a year that passes without a new coffee table book release, and I think there's even a feature film out soon (?). So it's baffling how Burton is somewhat normalised when we all know her direction is so far removed from McQueen. The man stood for so, so much. Light and dark, textures, contrast, craftmanship, fantasy....I can go on and on. Yet consumers are seemingly satisfied with her taking a Ghost dress or mumsy crochet, and adding a medieval leather belt or bustier, putting it all into some sort of chaff grinder to make it so generically 'dark and twisted.'
I avoid her collection threads on here because reading enabling comments like 'oh but she's actually a good menswear designer' turns my stomach. Of course she is, but my God, for McQueen???? At best her creative vocabulary is on par with that of Roksanda or L'Wren's, which is fine too.

Don't really mind the cast to be honest. All the girls have previous campaigns for the brand, and I actually thought this was Jamie's best campaign so far because it's less about him and more about storytelling to sell these clothes. That was, until someone said it looks like Camilla Akrans x Vogue Germany. And now I can't unsee the similarities......

The de Chirico looking images are definitely the strongest, the side-walk shots detract from the magic of the rest and with the exception of that shot of Vittoria in the butterfly dress they're all off. Shanelle should have been given more shots since her dark skin constrasts perfectly with the white backdrop and she really sells the clothes.

This campaign is so gorgeous. 10 out of 10. I will frame the first picture with Shanelle, that's pure art. The dress, the pose, the location, and the composition are so perfect. They nailed it.

I'm with you! The shot of Shanelle beside Golden Gate Bridge is quite clearly the standout, and even more so when alongside the rest of the campaign images in #24! The remaining images just doesn't do it as much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->