Alexander Wang Resort 2012

AgrenateD

Reaction score
from style.com
NEW YORK, June 15, 2011
By Nicole Phelps

Alexander Wang had big news at his Resort presentation this morning: He's set to open his second flagship store next year, this one in Beijing. We've seen other luxury brands dilute their message in order to best serve the global marketplace this season, but that isn't Wang's approach. On the contrary, the urban, utility-chic vision he showed off on his Fall runway remains laser-focused for Resort, only this time there are more sports elements.

Fresh off his Accessories Designer of the Year win at last week's CFDA Fashion Awards, Wang is introducing his first-ever sneaker, the better to complement a collection informed by pictures of seventies-era marathoners. His starting point came across both literally (the color-blocked, contrast-trim running shorts come to mind) and more figuratively. Zip-front jackets were as slick as glass, pants had a tracksuit slouch, and a sexy L.B.D. was streamlined like a wetsuit.

Yes, scuba references surfaced here, as they have at other labels this month. In fact, Wang did some of the most covetable swimsuits we've seen anywhere, in bold solids with racy cutouts that were echoed in his dresses. The bikini as layering piece is a look we've been seeing New York City girls sporting this summer, and Wang had his own take: showing a two-piece as underpinnings for a fab patchwork windbreaker vest and black trousers. His label is booming, but he's clearly paying attention to his ground zero, the street.

HQs - Part 1

style.com

Wow. I like this. Very cool and casual. Not too formal like a lot of the other resort collections.

his collections are soooooo literal mid 80s its not even funny . His clothes look like an Alphaville video on repeat.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Me being born in '79 and LIVING the 80s didnt see that much black on the streets.

It wud be worn is small amounts unless you were one of the goths and Wang's style isnt like that at all.

Now yes, the silhouettes, and there are some references on the pockets and proportions and it seems more evident on the brighter pieces, but who else does it now?

I like it.

I don't mind it. It's why everybody loves Alexander.
That athletic street style aesthetic he works, works.

fei fei's super cool in Alexander Wang

Last edited by a moderator:
I wholeheartedly disagree. Me being born in '79 and LIVING the 80s didnt see that much black on the streets.

It wud be worn is small amounts unless you were one of the goths and Wang's style isnt like that at all.

Now yes, the silhouettes, and there are some references on the pockets and proportions and it seems more evident on the brighter pieces, but who else does it now?

I like it.
Well I was working in the fashion industry at that time when your in kindergarten , so I would know what was going on , its very literal mid 80s fashion, the dark clubby kind , I know I lived the horror of it. I don't know what streets you were checking out as 5 or 6 year old but , there were plenty of people dressing like this in night clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, coolness!

Do I guess apart from the age difference, there is the country difference. (not the same stuff)

Still .. NYC in the 80s is what all my childhood dreams were made of :P

Ahem. Ok .. enough of that, lets keep on topic!

kinda like it, but i'm not really in love... I think the color palette is great, it reminds me the 80s too. :smile:

Well I was working in the fashion industry at that time when your in kindergarten , so I would know what was going on , its very literal mid 80s fashion, the dark clubby kind , I know I lived the horror of it. I don't know what streets you were checking out as 5 or 6 year old but , there were plenty of people dressing like this in night clubs.

while this collection definitely derives its verve from the eighties, there's something just a bit more refined about this collection that the excess we witnessed in the eighties. there's nothing experimental about this look. there's nothing counter-cultural about this look. this look -- this designer, this house -- remains fully aware of the archtypes from which it pulls these looks.

it's taking the best of that eighties' excess and filtering it through the sporty moment we're having right now to synthesize something entirely modern. far from being literal, i find this collection, quite honestly, safe.

I quite like it...scratch that, I LOVE IT! It's so edgy yet so sophisticated! I know people use the "edgy but sophisticated" phrase on many collections, but this time I really mean it!
Brava Mr. Wang! You make me, and asian teenager wanting to become a global fashion designer, very VERY proud!!

while this collection definitely derives its verve from the eighties, there's something just a bit more refined about this collection that the excess we witnessed in the eighties. there's nothing experimental about this look. there's nothing counter-cultural about this look. this look -- this designer, this house -- remains fully aware of the archtypes from which it pulls these looks.

it's taking the best of that eighties' excess and filtering it through the sporty moment we're having right now to synthesize something entirely modern. far from being literal, i find this collection, quite honestly, safe.

There is nothing modern about it lol , except improved fabrics maybe, it is literal , you can use all these colorful words but bottom line I have seen very similar looks when I would go to Danceteria and other night clubs especially around 84-85 , and the fashion then had a very strong sporty element.
Wang is not a designer just a very good stylist.

Wang is so overrated. At first I thought it was Balenciaga. It really looks alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->