All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships

I moved down to Florida with my boyfriend (he's in grad school), so I'm needing to give my current resume an over-haul...

I'm so confused as to what the format should be. Is there a strict format these days? What's the best route to go on this? I'm so confused!

With format, I would just use whatever the options are in Microsoft Word or whatever software you have. Those usually work fine. I also have one on monster.com, and I know you can print one from the site if you have one.

I agree with not lying. Background checks will show the truth, and most companies do them.

The main things to put on your cv are
Contact details (name, address, telephne number)
Personal profile (a paragraph about yourself for example if you are friendly, punctual, and things relating to the job you are after like creativity, computer skills)
Eductation and Training (qualifications, and any courses you have been on for anything, nomatter how small)
Work Experience (All jobs you have done including volunteer work, with dates and description of job. Try to mention things you have done which would be useful in the job you are applying for)
Hobbies and Interests (Be as creative as possible and don't just go for the usual answers)
Lastly references, normally your previous two employers. If you haven't worked before, then school teachers or even friends of the family who know you well and possibly have their own business or are well respected in the community.

Font should be something plain and readable. Don't use more than one font either. It's best if it's all in black too. Also, someone mentioned using off-white paper which is a good idea.

One page is generally seen as too little and more than two is more like an essay, so try and stick to two pages.

I hope that helps.

truebluejen said:
One page is generally seen as too little and more than two is more like an essay, so try and stick to two pages.

I think the length is very subjective depending on the country you're in, and the field you're applying for. Because in the US, they're supposed to be only one page. I look at a lot of resumes and we really look down on people as being inexperienced when they have 2+ page resumes.

okay...i have to do a resume for another class this semester and business cards and portfolio, etc....

mundodabolsa said:
Because in the US, they're supposed to be only one page.

Actually... I've been doing my research lately... and from what I've gathered, that "1 page only" rule doesn't apply anymore...

Erin said:
Actually... I've been doing my research lately... and from what I've gathered, that "1 page only" rule doesn't apply anymore...

That's very true, but there are some people who still feel very strongly about it.

I know maybe one person who's been doing what I do for any length of time who has a 1 page resume.

What I do to accommodate both the "I'll only read one page" people, and the people who have to see all the detail before they'll believe you've done anything, is put everything I think is truly important on the first page. Contact info, objective, soft and hard skills, etc. Experience starts on page 2. I'm not going to tell you exactly how long mine is :ninja:

If someone's a recent grad, that's where one page is really appropriate--IMO.

What you really don't want is your resume screened by some junior clerk who doesn't know jack about what you do. If that happens, you're likely SOL as they may reject your resume for a variety of random reasons ... :innocent: Like you wouldn't want to use British spelling, or a less common spelling of a word ...

^ Resumes can be tricky. :rolleyes:

I'm also curious about something else... cover letters... should you only attach one when requested?

^ You should always do a cover letter if you can. It would probably also be a good idea to have a separate version of your resume that includes a generic cover letter for when you can only upload a single document.

I have a few comments...

Lying... I agree with everybody else: do not do it. Somebody that I interviewed told us a few fibs about her past experince. Basically, she listed the software we use in the "computer skills" bit; then, when it came to do the job, she cheekily demmanded that I train her... she was out in two weeks.

Length. I couldn't comment on this. If you join a recruitment agency, they always shorten it to just one page and modify A LOT of the content. I am always grateful when a candidate brings in their own copy because I can see everything they have done. Personall, I like long CV's.

Lack of experience. This is a tricky one. I have just recruited somebody with no experience for my team. In fact, many of the aplicantes had little to no experience, whichI thought sucked at first. Anyhow, main reason for recruiting her is I liked her personality. So don't give up, somebody may see the potential in you a give you the chance you deserve!!

Also...
- Please do not list your retail jobs. If you do, just mention the last one and combine all the skills you gained all into one. Honestly, retail jobs will not impress anybody. Neither will customer services, for that matter. Sorry if it sounds rude but unless the interviewer asks you, please, under no ciscumstances, mention how important you felt when you balanced the till or how calm you remained when a customer was abusive. No-one cares!
- Do not make yourself sound like you're trying hard to impress. Be yourself and adopt the posture of the person that's interviewing you.
- When they ask you if you have questions, ASK THEM. If you don't, you'll make yourself sound uninterested. Standard quesions ("will i be trained", "why did the previous person leave") are OK. Please leave smart-*** questions for another time (they make the interviewer feel unconfortable and hate you with a passion!!).

Any questions, please ask :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ WOW. Lots of info, MissP. Thanks for sharing.

I did, however, leave some retail experience on my resume... I worked for the same company for 3.5 years, and thought it'd be nice to have a longer job on there... also, it spanned into college, so it's fairly recent. Not sure if I should still leave it... will have to juggle with that one. :wink:

Erin said:
^ WOW. Lots of info, MissP. Thanks for sharing.

I did, however, leave some retail experience on my resume... I worked for the same company for 3.5 years, and thought it'd be nice to have a longer job on there... also, it spanned into college, so it's fairly recent. Not sure if I should still leave it... will have to juggle with that one. :wink:

Yah, my tips were way too general... when you have interviewed 5 girls, who all happen to have been "supervisors" at the shop, it does rub in a little.

Personally, I'd use the length on your favour. 3.5 years IS a long time and it shows you are a stable person. You're also loyal to your employer and of course, a good worker (or else they would've fired you!!). I take it you're young, so, you can also mention it's helped you mature, learn how to deal with routine and responsibilities (e.g. I am sure you've had to do overtime more than once and be flexible about your rotas). Hope that helped!

Maybe some of us could post our existing resumes in this thread? Blanking out all of the Specific personal information and company names... just to give people an idea...

But the only thing about that is people might copy it? I dunno I think my resume is pretty good.

I had a lit class where we talked about resumes and cover letters and stuff.

I guess nowadays the whole one page thing isn't very strict? But I've been told that people will throw away a resume that is two pages where the person's experience doesn't WARRANT two pages full of information... Like if you've been in the business for 20-30 years.. then yea, maybe you need a two page resume.. but if you're starting out, just graudated... new to the world... a 2 page resume from a novice will be laughed at

Last edited by a moderator:
^ That's how I view it, Luna.

I like your suggestion... but I know I'd be leary of people copying my resume/details/format if I posted it...

Im applying for a sales assistant job; on the form it has the headings why do you think you will enjoy working here, what can you contribute ect. what do you guys think i should put here? im really stuck, any help would be much appreciated! (the jobs at monsoon/accessorize)

Luna said:
I had a lit class where we talked about resumes and cover letters and stuff.

I guess nowadays the whole one page thing isn't very strict? But I've been told that people will throw away a resume that is two pages where the person's experience doesn't WARRANT two pages full of information... Like if you've been in the business for 20-30 years.. then yea, maybe you need a two page resume.. but if you're starting out, just graudated... new to the world... a 2 page resume from a novice will be laughed at

Luna, as I said I cannot comment on this. I really don't want to misguide anybody. Agencies have sent me lots of CVs of 1 page so I guess that's the standard. Honestly, I would have two CV's: the short one for applications and the longer one for the interviews. The application is normally received by the HR team who filters CVs but the interview is usually held by the person you'd be reporting to... I think making an effort for that person is very helpful :flower:

anastars said:
Im applying for a sales assistant job; on the form it has the headings why do you think you will enjoy working here, what can you contribute ect. what do you guys think i should put here? im really stuck, any help would be much appreciated! (the jobs at monsoon/accessorize)

I wish I could help you more with this...

A few things that always sound good: you enjoy team work, you appreciate the nature of the business and are willing to be flexible with the hours you work, you are a regular customer of the brand and know the product and its customers well.

Also, I think they will ask you the following in your interview:
1- have you ever worked with targets or goals / what was the daily target.
2- what would you do if an item didn't sell as well as we initially thought?
3- what would you do if you had a problem with a work mate?

Those three are extremelly tricky and can make the difference between getting the job or not. Unfortunately there is no right answer for them because each shop works in a different manner according to the manager. If you know somebody that has worked / works in Monsoon by all means go talk to them and try get them to answer those three questions and tell you a bit about the manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->