All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

apple124

Reaction score
Sales associates in boutiques tend to receive 20-30% on clothing, but do they receive discounts on designer handbags also? What about sales associates in places like neimans and saks - do they receive any discount on handbags such as prada, chanel, lv, etc even if they don't work in the handbag department?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that SAs at Gucci gets 50% off handbag and I think it was either 30 or 40% off the other brands that are under the Gucci Group.

I heard somewhere that Coach SAs get 40% off.

And don't know about Neimans and Saks, though I was always curious

my barneys s.a. told me she gets 30% on designer handbags...
maybe i should quit my job and work as an s.a. :P

no kidding, being a good s.a. you can make commissions in the 6-digits per year.

one harvard business school case studies (about incentivizing your employees) talks about a nordstrom shoe saleman who made $400,000 in one year just in commission.

I've wondered that, too! On a slightly different note, are there requirements for being an SA in the handbag department at Saks or Neiman's or something? Such as certain college degrees or certification in anything? I wonder if all SAs in those stores get discounts in all departments...

I read an article on this last week. 40% seems to be the average discount, form what I gathered...

Edna said:
I've wondered that, too! On a slightly different note, are there requirements for being an SA in the handbag department at Saks or Neiman's or something? Such as certain college degrees or certification in anything? I wonder if all SAs in those stores get discounts in all departments...

There are no specific requirements (no degree) they can give those jobs to pretty much anybody. Ive been trying to get in at gucci, but our boutique is not big, so there's rarely an open position. Ive heard their employees get 40% discount, but if its 50, thats even more reason for me to work there. :shock: And I put in an app at Sak, they called someone for a position in Dior as I was sitting there. I bet that was one happy woman!!--I wished it was me.

You don't need a degree of any sort to be a SA, but a lot of times they want previous examples of success/experience in retail, especially if it's a competitive (i.e. high-commission) retail sales job.

A lot of it depends on the price-point of the store. I've worked at a few non-designer retail stores and it depends on the company.

Banana Republic: no commission but you get a discount card that gives you 50% off 6 items a month (3 tops, 3 bottoms), 1 pair of shoes, and 3 accessories. Every month. Plus you can buy 5 items at gap or oldnavy for 30% off each month (but why????). Plus for each "roll-out" of new merchandise you get 60% off 3 items from a list. Plus everything else on sale or in addition is 30% off

Abercrombie: I know I know :eyeroll: . 50% off 2 selected tops and one bottom each season plus 30% off everything else not including sale. (Holister is the same except it's 40% and 20% b/c the clothes are so damn cheap).

Now I work at BCBG and we get 75% off 8 items to kickstart our wardrobe when you are first hired. After that you get 50% off everything in the store but no discount on collection. Or sale items.

I have applied to Nieman Marcus and Nordstrom and inquired but I've never worked there. I'm pretty sure you get at least some sort of discount on everything in the store though. I know for sure this is the case at Nordstrom. I think it's like 30%.

ETA: I don't know about other cities, but in Honolulu, you pretty much can't get a a job at any of the boutiques like Chanel or Hermes, or Gucci, etc, unless you speak Japanese. I haven't inquired but everyone I know who works in one of those kind of stores speaks at least some Japanese. You have to to meet the needs of your clients. I'll admit I wish I knew some. It makes a no brainer job like abercrombie difficult when there is a language barrier, let alone a more clientelle-oriented job like BCBG.

Nordstrom's and Macy*s SAs get 20% off.

I know for macy*s, your discount can be used in conjunction with any other sales or promotions going on so it adds up sometimes.

I get two free pairs of shoes per season, then 5 or so pairs at 50 % off then unlimeted discounts for myself, friends and fammily at 20% discount :D
I work for dune .. a shoe shop in the uk

I was a manager at Nordstrom for a few years. Managers get 33% off and on special employee days they get 40%. SA's get 20% and on special days they get 30%. And 3 weeks a year they have a 40% off discount for all Nordstrom products.

I have heard that Sak's offers new hires 60% off to kick start their wardrobe as well...but I dont know what it is once they get settled in. I will ask my friend that works there.

At Vuitton I was told they get 50 and it applies too all of LVMH, including Dior and the such. I would work for Vuitton if I actually respected them as a brand.

I cannot say what my discount is, but it's extremely generous. What the hell. I get 50% off all merchandise, and 65% off all out-of-season items. So on the 26th all the old fall stuff will be 65% off, yay. On shoes, sunglasses and watches we get 40% off, cause they're licensed out.

Bloomingdales is 20% and for Finlay (who license the fine jewelry in Bloomies) its 50% all fine jewlery, incredible.

I wonder what the discount at Chanel is.

ilovepositano said:
my barneys s.a. told me she gets 30% on designer handbags...
maybe i should quit my job and work as an s.a. :P

no kidding, being a good s.a. you can make commissions in the 6-digits per year.

one harvard business school case studies (about incentivizing your employees) talks about a nordstrom shoe saleman who made $400,000 in one year just in commission.

I remember reading about that in an LA Times article about Nordstrom and their customer service, but they didn't say anything about discounts.

Louis Vuitton Sales Clerk

I want to work at a Louis Vuitton or Gucci boutique as a regular ol' sales clerk. Do I need experience in the field of sales/design or is it like working at a regular department store? I looked it up on their site but they just said to send your 'application' to NYC.

Any info is appreciated :flower:

(If this has already been posted, my apologies :blush: )

I had a friend who worked at Marc by Marc and he had no previous experience...

I think that if they have a lot of people wanting the same job, it helps if you have previous experience. but if you seem convincing enough, they might not care that you are not that experienced.

you don't have anything to loose if you try, that's for sure

At the LV around my ways (which is around your way it seems) the youngest is 20. I think LV is more of a career rather than a job, that's why you see older SA's normally. Did you want to apply at the LV or Gucci in Tysons? That Gucci is known for thier spectacular service, I mean, they have hand delivered things to my sister, which is incredible. That LV are the rudest people ever. Apply at a Coach!

Go ahead. Remember you're a creative teamplayer who is all about service. Also you should send your interviewer(s) a thank you note, just a little note, to show how you go above and beyond service wise.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone! :D My lack of experience is a real set-back, but like you all said, it doesn't hurt to apply! :heart:

Diorling-- You're right, I was thinking about applying to one of those stores in Tyson's at the end of my semester. It's about an hour away but I'd much prefer working at a store like Gucci or LV than at a J.C. Penny's :lol:

I haven't visited the Gucci there yet but when I went to LV the sales girl who helped me was surprisingly nice (I was actually expecting them to be rude :shock: ).

Remember you're a creative teamplayer who is all about service. Also you should send your interviewer(s) a thank you note, just a little note, to show how you go above and beyond service wise.

Great idea! I'll def. do that, thanks! :flower:

I shop at LV quite a bit and from what I've seen, there are a lot of super young girls in there and their customer service isn't the greatest in my opinion. They seem like amateurs or like they just don't care. Half of them don't even know the product they sell as well as I do. With that in mind I'm assuming they didn't have a lot of previous experience.

VainJane said:
Awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone! :D My lack of experience is a real set-back, but like you all said, it doesn't hurt to apply! :heart:

Diorling-- You're right, I was thinking about applying to one of those stores in Tyson's at the end of my semester. It's about an hour away but I'd much prefer working at a store like Gucci or LV than at a J.C. Penny's :lol:

I haven't visited the Gucci there yet but when I went to LV the sales girl who helped me was surprisingly nice (I was actually expecting them to be rude :shock: ).

Great idea! I'll def. do that, thanks! :flower:
You can do it honey! Confidence is what makes a difference. If you do get a job at LV I will of course want a discount....:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreagmanili
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->