All About Showrooms and Sales Reps

If I want to get chloe supplies for my website, I can just contact the person who's in charge of chloe showroom? Is that right?

Owning/Working In A Showroom

I did a search of this forum and I was kinda surprised that I didn't find very much information about showrooms, so I figured I'd ask. ^_^ I met a girl the other day who's pretty young, maybe a few years older than me, and she owns a showroom in downtown LA and has had quite a bit of success with a new line called Plastic Island (didnt get a chance to ask her any questions though). Basically, I'm wondering...

-Has anyone here worked in a showroom, and what was it like?

-If you want to start your own, or just become a sales rep, how do you go about finding a line?

-How much does it generally cost if you want to open your own showroom?

Any other input is appreciated!

no problem
i just merged all showroom related threads in one

to reply your question, it's much better if you started by working with an established showroom before setting up your own showroom company.
showrooms may not need a huge amount of money to start up but since it's a 'connections' orientated business you need an experienced manager and serious networking in the retail environment

Showrooms! We had some fun with them in our 3 years. In the UK there are alot of sales agents who talk the talk but don't deliver then can't be bothered.

Question for any designers out there, do your showrooms/sales agents actively seek out new (suitable)clients for you or do they stick to their roster of shops and hope that one of the labels they rep attracts in new business??

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wanted to work in a diffusion type of showroom what type of education would be best suited?

I forgot about this thread....

Just to add more what I have learned about showrooms. Most showrooms these days are bi-coastal, they keep a showroom in LA and NY. A lot of them will require you to use their PR services as part of the deal. The larger showrooms want about 1000 dollars a month fee.

I feel at this point its such a catch 22 because the showrooms want you to have huge sales before they take you, but you can't get huge sales without a showroom.

some very good information in this thread.
thanks to everyone who shared.
:flower:

For anyone who has worked in a showroom as a sales rep, what is a decent order for a store to place? I am opening a small boutique featuring indie designers and for my debut I am ordering an average of 4 styles per designer in 4 sizes each. I plan on ordering more in future seasons, but I don't want to become an unimportant client by ordering too little for my first season. Would you ever think a buyer was wasting your time with certain orders?

@kimberwyn
yes i worked in showrooms several times (as model)..the atmosphere always depends on the people who work there...i had great showrooms where i enjoyed my time a lot but I also had ones where I didn't enjoy my time at all...as model there might be other kind of jobs which are more desired i guess...

For anyone who has worked in a showroom as a sales rep, what is a decent order for a store to place? I am opening a small boutique featuring indie designers and for my debut I am ordering an average of 4 styles per designer in 4 sizes each. I plan on ordering more in future seasons, but I don't want to become an unimportant client by ordering too little for my first season. Would you ever think a buyer was wasting your time with certain orders?
this varies wildly from brand to brand...
some of the hotter labels would def think you are wasting their time with a small order...or wouldn't even accept the order...

but lots of smaller labels would be thrilled...

wildeyedundine I'm doing the same as you are except with an online store. Some designers have minimums. I just looked at the line sheet for Sweetface clothing, and they had a $1500 minimum per delivery. But I really dont care how the ones who dont have minimums feel, lol, they should understand that some people are just starting out. But that's just my opinion.

^^^To clarify, I definitely am ordering the minimum in each designer (it has usually been 4 pieces per style in the designers I have purchased from, with the largest I have seen being a 35 piece minimum). However, I was wondering what was considered a decent order above the minimum. For example, if the minimum is one style and four pieces per style, is my order still considered small and relatively unimportant if I order four styles with four pieces per style? I have already placed quite a few orders, I just want to know how I am being perceived as a buyer. I appreciate the feedback, softgrey and kimberwyn!

yes- i would still say it's pretty small...

a good order is usually from a dept store or someone with multiple stores who can ignore minimums completely and buys almost the entire line in several size runs...
obviously...

but what are we talking about here...
lanvin dresses that cost $1000 or t-shirts that cost $25...?

it makes a really big difference...
and then denim is also different...
and contemporary...

etc...

in any case...
i think you would have to double or triple what you are currently ordering to get anyone's attention ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->