All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

I think that if you're applying to a high end boutique it helps if you're either,

A - Older (35+ years old), that way you look "wisdomatic".
B- Sophisticated.

Don't wear a shirt that says "H O L L I S T E R" on it with a pushup bra to the interviewers.

The stores like to create this kind of quite, serene ambience. The music, the people, they all have to fit that ambience.

Out of personal curiousity, how much does the pay vary from a boutique in comparison to oh say, JC Penny? And, is there an employee-discount?

marsmars said:
I think that if you're applying to a high end boutique it helps if you're either,

A - Older (35+ years old), that way you look "wisdomatic".
B- Sophisticated.

Don't wear a shirt that says "H O L L I S T E R" on it with a pushup bra to the interviewers.

The stores like to create this kind of quite, serene ambience. The music, the people, they all have to fit that ambience.

Out of personal curiousity, how much does the pay vary from a boutique in comparison to oh say, JC Penny? And, is there an employee-discount?
JC Penney is probably minimum wage or just above, whilst LV is like 13 +.

Oh yes, seem very chic, if you don't have an amazing bag, don't take one, it's shallow but Im serious, they take everything into account. Also imitate the store's dress code (which is normally a black suit with black and more black, so they think "she'll fit in perfectly"

pixiewytch said:
I shop at LV quite a bit and from what I've seen, there are a lot of super young girls in there and their customer service isn't the greatest in my opinion. They seem like amateurs or like they just don't care. Half of them don't even know the product they sell as well as I do. With that in mind I'm assuming they didn't have a lot of previous experience.

I never looked at it like this pixie...but it's true. You do want to go to a SA who is more knowledgeable and experienced....and I hate to say that being young in many fields is equated with inexperience. And believe me, I hate that!

*Happiness* said:
I never looked at it like this pixie...but it's true. You do want to go to a SA who is more knowledgeable and experienced....and I hate to say that being young in many fields is equated with inexperience. And believe me, I hate that!

Yeah me too, I'm fifteen years old and whenever I go anywhere my usefulness is equated with that of a bean bag. :innocent:

Neiman Marcus employee discount

Do you really need at least 1 year of experience in sales?
How much discount do they get in the store? 20-30%??
I'm thinking about applying there for a part-time job

I friend of my mothers is a bartender in Neiman Marcus and she gets 30% off everything (even sale items)

for louis vuitton.. u can only purchase 3-5 items a year for 30% off.. i think they have a few unannouced 50% off days too.

i work at express (which is a pretty average retail store) and i got 30% off. the managers get 40% and then at certain times we can get an extra 15% or like $20 or so off certain items like denim.

i know adrian vettadini (sp?) can get up to like 50% off but i guess it all depends on the price range of the stores.

i've worked so many places. Aldo, 50% off for 4 pairs a month. Le Chateau (crappier than F21, 50% off, 30% off sale items) Nordstrom 20% plus free makeup when you work as a makeup artist; i've worked at snowboard shops where we get everything at cost.

all limited brand companies (express, the limited, bath and body works, victorias secret, henri bendel) give 30% to part time employees and 40% to full time ones.

At Club Monaco they gave 30% off everything including sale items to temporary staff without limits and I think more if you're permanent.

I remember I knew more than this SA working at LV than she did for the company ahhaha! and i was only 16 :D .....im 17 now OMG im getting old AAAAAAH!

Haha...in the UK, all you have to do is join a lux retail agency and they send you to LV, Gucci, Prada etc......no experience needed.

Usually they want someone who gots more experiences, especially LV. I check it today for there will be a new LV store opened in Taiwan, and when I call, they said they need someone who had experience on selling boutigues experience, so i think they are quite serious about hier people.

I get 50% off working at Polo Ralph Lauren but only on $1200 worth of stock (that is, $1200 of stock at full retail price in Australian dollars as I live in Aust), and 30% off Black Label, Collection, Purple Label and accessories.

I spoke to the Prada SA and she said she gets 30% but all her purchases have to be approved by her manager and she can't by products which sell well or if they're on sale (even at the sale price). Oh and she has to wait something like 3 months before purchasing a brand new product.

pinksatin said:
ETA: I don't know about other cities, but in Honolulu, you pretty much can't get a a job at any of the boutiques like Chanel or Hermes, or Gucci, etc, unless you speak Japanese. I haven't inquired but everyone I know who works in one of those kind of stores speaks at least some Japanese. You have to to meet the needs of your clients. I'll admit I wish I knew some. It makes a no brainer job like abercrombie difficult when there is a language barrier, let alone a more clientelle-oriented job like BCBG.

I can see why. When I went there this summer it was like being in Japan. ^_^

Hermes is 30% which isn't bad, since they never have any sort of discount at all. Lets see off of a 6k Birkin, that'd be 4200...Meh, only 1800 off. If I worked at Hermes Id never ever have any money, Id be spending it all.

susie_bubble said:
Haha...in the UK, all you have to do is join a lux retail agency and they send you to LV, Gucci, Prada etc......no experience needed.

Hello, could you tell me the name of the lux retail agency? iam interested in working as a SA for the brands you mentioned. Thanks.

Jobs/working at high end stores

I dont know if there is already a thread on this...

but I wanted to apply for a job this summer at possibly alexander mcqueen or cdg in nyc, as a salesman, but im not quite sure what they are looking for, or how to go upon doing it. can I just go in the store and ask for an application? or at what age do you think they are looking to hire?

Thanks for your help

Rampage get's 25% of the first week to the first month. After that you get 40% off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->