Allure February 2020 : Billy Porter by Ben Hassett

Is this Peter Philip's first allure cover?!? Nicola Formichetti :innocent:

I partly get where you’re coming from but I don’t think labeling magazines as women’s or men’s is needed anymore nor is it healthy.

I agree with most of what you're saying Slayage and this may sound like splitting hairs, but just to clarify, Allure is actually a women's magazine. The fact that Billy happens to be the first man (to my knowledge) to ever cover the magazine in its 29-year history should clear up any doubts.
Of course anyone can read or buy it, but Allure is a service magazine aimed exclusively at female skin. It is not a visual-driven magazine like VI. So unless they change course and start showing product/content tailored to male skin, meaning products that are actually formulated specifically to deal with the testosterone, thicker skin, higher collagen content, hair follicles etc of men, the magazine will remain binary.

I've not seen this issue yet, but it seems to me as though it's just another case where the magazine pays tribute to whatever beauty ideals Billy represents while highlighting what their (mostly) female audience can take from that. Just like GQ does with their Woman of the Year which may showcase women, but the target demographic is still men. Have no problem whatsoever with him getting the cover because as many pointed out it happens fairly often elsewhere.

I agree with most of what you're saying Slayage and this may sound like splitting hairs, but just to clarify, Allure is actually a women's magazine. The fact that Billy happens to be the first man (to my knowledge) to ever cover the magazine in its 29-year history should clear up any doubts.
Of course anyone can read or buy it, but Allure is a service magazine aimed exclusively at female skin. It is not a visual-driven magazine like VI. So unless they change course and start showing product/content tailored to male skin, meaning products that are actually formulated specifically to deal with the testosterone, thicker skin, higher collagen content, hair follicles etc of men, the magazine will remain binary.

I've not seen this issue yet, but it seems to me as though it's just another case where the magazine pays tribute to whatever beauty ideals Billy represents while highlighting what their (mostly) female audience can take from that. Just like GQ does with their Woman of the Year which may showcase women, but the target demographic is still men. Have no problem whatsoever with him getting the cover because as many pointed out it happens fairly often elsewhere.
you not see allure korea edition yet ... There always feature man one their cover ... lolupload_2020-1-10_21-4-55.png

I don't think I ever straightforwardly denied it being a women's magazine. What I meant was that there's no need for that kind of labeling in this diverse world we are living in.
However, now that you brought the scientific point of view of the issue to my attention and the fact that the beauty products shown are mainly aimed at women, I get that in certain situations that kind of labeling might be needed after all. :flower:

BECOMING BILLY
Photographer:
Ben Hassett
Stylist: Nicola Formichetti
Grooming: Melissa DeZarate
Make-Up: Peter Philips
Model/Celebrity: Billy Porter

Allure Digital Edition

BLUE CRUSH
Photographer:
Hannah Khymych
Stylist: Vanessa Chow
Hair: Braydon Nelson
Make-Up: Erin Parsons
Models: Marisha Urushadze & Aiden Curtiss

US Elle Digital Edition

This issue is around 98 pgs, and the theme of "art" is interpreted in different ways, from nail art to the link between mental health and creativity, the sculpting of the face with fillers, a look at Korea's largest tattoo studio, the life story of Audrey Munson (an American artistic muse in the early 1900's), and the design behind perfume bottles.

There's also a short interview with Tiffany Haddish.

This is a great theme but a rather underwhelming delivery by Allure. There are moments in the issue that are absolutely fascinating and make you realise just how wonderful a well thought-out issue devoted to art and beauty would be.

But overall, there's no depth. Or perhaps it's more a case of the pacing of the pages throughout the issue.

I read it online, which is a very artificial way of going through the pages in the first place, but I found myself becoming annoyed by the way I would become absorbed by one of the longer pieces, but then be thrown out of that thoughtful mode straight into looking at something flat and vapid again.

I don't know whether that's a fair reaction, or just a reminder of something that we often overlook - that rhythm matters in a magazine.

And to believe they gave the first 'man-cover' to him and not someone like RuPaul or less famous, but more fashion-forward e.g. Violet Chachki.

Love Billy, love inclusivity, love beauty magazines.

This to me, it just ain't it. It's not 'beauty' it's more... arts & crafts. Definitely doesn't make me wanna run to the store to pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->