Are there any good fashion shows on tv nowadays?

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
Since the departure of Tim Blanks from Fashion File(CBC). And the rise of Red Carpet season and events and Celebrity Culture (not forgetting all the "make over shows") ... is there any shows you actually see and agree with what you see?

I mean, Ill admit it .. I love how Fashion Police with Joan Rivers is back on E! but its most about laughing it off than paying attention to what she sells on QVC (I love you, Joan, but you SO miss the point on may of your reviews). :ninja:

Fashion File was THE definite TV show for me .. and since Tim went to Vogue and they got whats hi face, they completely re-did it. And I dont like. (Too young).

As far a make over shows ... I do agree with most of the stuff Trinny and Susannah from BBC's "What not to wear" say but they seem a bit repetitive .. and in this side of the pond Tim Gunn is the only one who seems to have the voice of reason.

Oh, wont comment on Project Runway .. even though the first seasons were interesting.! :P

For my money, Jeanne Beker's FashionTelevision (ie FTv) was always the ticket. I liked her better than "Style With Elsa Klench" or "House of Style" back in the day. It doesn't come on in my area anymore, but you can get it online. She's been around forever (like 25 years), so be sure to check the FTv archives too.

http://www.fashiontelevision.com/

Doesn't Alexa Chung have a new tv show coming out soon? It's about vintage shopping or something? Maybe this show will help to fit a hole in the category.

Doesn't Alexa Chung have a new tv show coming out soon? It's about vintage shopping or something? Maybe this show will help to fit a hole in the category.

I know the girl wears nice clothes but every show she's been on has been cancelled.

I used to like The Clothes Show on a UK TV network, but I've never seen one that isn't about make-overs or celebrity fashion.

If anybody in the States had Dish HD a while back, they quite possibly remember the channel Ultra HD. It was all about fashion, luxury, travel, and overall style. There were shows like Full Frontal Fashion, Ultra Eye, Fashion Avenue with Jodie Kidd, etc. They were all great, and I miss that channel so much! :heart: However, It didn't bode so well with the main-stream audience, so Voom HD, the suite of channels including Ultra HD, was cancelled, and eventually shut down. Which means if I need to get my fashion fix on television I am stuck with Fashion TV. -_-

in France, we used to have Paris Mode, hosted by M.C. Marek on Paris Première - it was THE Fashion tvshow back in the days. Never missed it ... How, i miss MCM's "à la semaine prochaiiiine ..."
There used to be, too, tvshows on M6 and TF1 (public channels). But it was kind of boring. M6 fashion tvshows were nice, though ... but it doesn't last long, actually and was broadcast very late @ night

Now, we have Habillées pour hosted on Canal + by Mlle Agnès (the best), and La Mode, La Mode, La Mode (produced by Mlle Agnès) and hosted by Alexandra-never-remember-her-last-name on Paris Première.
There's something else on Téva and/or Stylia, I think. But most french fashion doc' and tvshows are anyway produced by LaLaLa (ie Mlle Agnès and Cie).

oh wanted to add that : i don't know what's going on @ Paris Première, but it is always VERY complicated to follow their schedule. U never know when it is a re-broadcast or an exclusive one ... it is terribly annoying !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the girl wears nice clothes but every show she's been on has been cancelled.
The show will be aired on PBS though (public television).. that channel's focused on being educational, definitely not about ratings or dropping series because of poor reception.. I still mourn the year (2009) when TV went digital and I had to hire a satellite system, I haven't seen that channel in a long time so things might've changed but it was one of my favorites.. I'm thrilled it's now creating a show focused on clothing and hold-in-the-wall vintage stores.. this is a channel that keeps running 1993 episodes of Antiques Road Show and Rick Steve's Europe :lol:, so choosing Gwyneth for a roadtrip on Spain or Alexa for a roadtrip in the US definitely spices things up, especially as their modern series only have a handful of episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Fashion TV disappeared from UK Sky and World Fashion Channel seems to have gone MIA I never watch any TV shows...apart from guilty pleasures like 'Fashion Police' on E!.

I thought that the designer retrospectives on WFC used to be really interesting...shame.

In the UK, channel 4 is airing a program called The Fashion Agency. It is a fly on the wall documentary of the London Offices of Premier.

If anyone is interested in the actual workings of a London model agency it is a fascinating watch.

Oh, God! Just what I suspected .. there are no good tv shows left on tv

:shock:

Except for Jeanne Beker's of course

Wasn't MTV going to bring back House of Style last year or something? What ever happened with that? I remember hearing about it.

If anybody in the States had Dish HD a while back, they quite possibly remember the channel Ultra HD. It was all about fashion, luxury, travel, and overall style. There were shows like Full Frontal Fashion, Ultra Eye, Fashion Avenue with Jodie Kidd, etc. They were all great, and I miss that channel so much! :heart: However, It didn't bode so well with the main-stream audience, so Voom HD, the suite of channels including Ultra HD, was cancelled, and eventually shut down. Which means if I need to get my fashion fix on television I am stuck with Fashion TV. -_-

I used to watch this all the time at my dads...Im soooo sad it is gone:cry:

I don't really watch TV these days, but I liked Fashion Television's FT RAW, where most footage wasn't really edited. There were unexpected moments happening backstage and it gave a realistic view of the fashion industry. I like Jeanne Beker as a host but I always find it a bit funny when she's not allowed in fashion shows and has to wait around like everyone else.

^ same here- I used to love FTV too, when I was younger I used to watch it all the time. It's probably the last place left on TV that actually shows you fashion as opposed to red carpets (I hated it when they used to switch to lingerie shows at midnight though, that had nothing to do with 'clothing' if you know what I mean).

Now that so many shows stream live or get put up on video sharing sites, waiting around to see stuff about fashion on TV has become a bit redundant though.

I'm subscribed to the FTV channel. I watch it often enough but if I need a fashion fix the internet is my go to. RAW is a good program....unedited runway shows, as well as Designer Marathon.

I think most of us use the internet now for fashions news or any fashion related program. I have not seen any good shows even though we have hundreds of channel. Shame...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjidiakez
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->