Armpit hair: gross or sexy?

^It's not fair to blame everything on the media and conditioning, as people do have some sort of consciousness (as least that's what people generally believe:shifty:).

I think the inscriptivist view of shaving makes the most sense. The perception of arm pit hair in women as unattractive can and has been inscribed onto our bodies. People aren't born a tabula rasa; they are born with certain perceptions and tastes already intact. With the media and societal standards, these tastes are perpetrated.

Yeah, I think people are pretty different about how they perceive their surroundings. Some people see something presented and accept it, incorporating it to the point where reflection is just irrelevant, and others don't readily accept what's presented to them.

Anyhow, some of these things are "programmed" - it's all about enhancing the physical differences between men and women. What are men (as a result of their Y chromosome, and lack of extra X)? Hairier, bigger, smellier - what do women all feel they need to be? Hairless, small, scent-less or disguising their natural smell.

Interestingly, of course, more testosterone gives less fat compared to muscle - so it's a little interesting that women are striving against that hormonal difference. I could come up with a number of hypothesis why that is, but they have a hint of ad hoc about them.

the mere sight of any hair was considered erotic. Women were required to wear head coverings; caps were worn indoors and out by woman of all ages.

Now rather than being conceptualized as titillating and erotic, it's predominantly regarded in today's society as unfeminine, abominable. :rofl:

The underarm campaign began in May, 1915, in Harper's Bazaar, a magazine aimed at the upper crust. The first ad "featured a waist-up photograph of a young woman who appears to be dressed in a slip with a toga-like outfit covering one shoulder. Her arms are arched over her head revealing perfectly clear armpits. The first part of the ad read `Summer Dress and Modern Dancing combine to make necessary the removal of objectionable hair.'"

straightdope.com

Last edited by a moderator:
for women, I think both can be sexy. As far as people just doing there thing... I have no opinion, either way. what ever you like to do.
As far as a girlfriend, I love fresh shaven everything, it feels so good to touch, and has a fresh fun feel and look...

adorfaith, I just skimmed over the last few pages, it was fun to read your comments. And I agree a simple subject reflexes so much about the world around us... I think you balance stating your opinions and letting others bounce things off of your comments wonderfully. You have some of the most interesting responses.

I am actually shocked that this topic has reached 14 pages. As for me I either shave or pluck armpit hair, I prefer it that way.

On a practical note, I noticed the skin on my armpit has darkened, do you guys know how to deal with that? I think that happens because I used to plucked the hair, you know how addictive it was.

i think it is bc of shaving, i did the plucking a few times (it was addictive indeed) and my sin was also a lil darker than the rest but since i had laser the skin color is now even. i used to blame it on the deodorant, but i guess its the friction of the hair or the shaving itself, i dont know.

armpit hairs are only for MEN! :lol:

and if you're trying to remove hairs permanently, use NO! NO!
5883_hero.jpg

sephora.com

i think it is bc of shaving, i did the plucking a few times (it was addictive indeed) and my sin was also a lil darker than the rest but since i had laser the skin color is now even. i used to blame it on the deodorant, but i guess its the friction of the hair or the shaving itself, i dont know.

Oh really? My mom says it's dark because I am plucking the hair and she suggests I should try shaving. I guess I'd just look into having laser.

I can understand why the hair used to be considered erotic. It is usually the differences between men and women that become erotic (like curvy hips on women and broad shoulders on men). Even though all hair is now associated with masculinity, women's and men's body hair still have differences. E.g. Leg and arm hair on women (even when very hairy) is usually fairly fine, soft and lies flat against the skin, whereas leg and arm hair on men is usually thicker, coarser and curlier, meaning it sticks out from the skin.

Note: when I am talking about women's body hair I am not talking about stubble from shaving, I am talking about fully-grown hair that is left alone.

haha this thread is funny. I found it gross on women, and i feel bad for them, shaving/plucking seems like pain in the a$$

I don't think that women should have hair anywhere on their body (below the head, of course).

i feel bad for them, shaving/plucking seems like pain in the a$$

Shaving isn't so bad, and if you're careful it can be done with in less than 30 seconds (that or I just shave in a very dangerous, quick manner). Can't say the same for plucking, however. God, that sounds painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->