Asian And Black Models

BioDA_a_ShuQi.jpg

Shu-Qi

for those wondering about black models, Essence magazine has a bit of a retrospective in this month's issue:

"GENESIS OF A SUPERMODEL
In the beginning there was Alva Chinn, Gail O’Neil, Pat Cleveland, Mounia and Aria. ESSENCE pays homage to the ones who paved the way for Naomi, Tyra and many others. "

I don't see any sign of it online but you can get it at newsstands.

beverly johnson:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/hearttruth/press/NMillerBJohnson_preview.htm
NMillerBJohnson_preview.jpg

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/david.dell/beverly/beverly.johnson.ebony.jpg

beverly johnson and iman

www.amadoo.com/galerie/ Iman-Top-model/iman3

iman3.jpg

it's funny - these women bring back memories for me! i know that as a young girl seeing these women in magazines was very important to me. when people who look like you are represented in the media as beautiful women it is easier to believe that one day you will be a beautiful woman too. i think that it might be difficult for white people to imagine a world that doesn't represent them as human and beautiful and well-rounded and just as capable of being good or evil as anyone else.

btw, iman has had her own beauty products line for a long time, way before the mainstream cosmetics companies began coming out with shades designed for darker skin. And I know Beverly Johnson has a wig and/or haircare product line. Johnson was the first African American to grace the cover of Vogue magazine, in August 1974

meme

Last edited by a moderator:
meme527 said:
http://http://web.ukonline.co.uk/david.dell/beverly/beverly.johnson.ebony.jpg

www.amadoo.com/galerie/ Iman-Top-model/iman3

http://somalinet.com/phalbums/ albums/userpics/iman4.jpe

it's funny - these women bring back memories for me! i know that as a young girl seeing these women in magazines was very important to me. when people who look like you are represented in the media as beautiful women it is easier to believe that one day you will be a beautiful woman too. i think that it might be difficult for white people to imagine a world that doesn't represent them as human and beautiful and well-rounded and just as capable of being good or evil as anyone else.

meme

Meme, you're so right.

Terrima183 said:
My defense is just to not buy anything from labels who categorically ignore diversity. Take Prada for instance. Can someone remind me of the last time they had a non-white model in their show?

It may have been less than a decade ago but that's still too long. You can blame Russel Marsh (casting director) or you can look at the big picture but you won't see me in Prada anytime soon...(although the new parfum smells divine, arghh! :innocent: )

(or unless they put me in the show, but I prob. have the wrong skin tone for next season's pallete or whatever B$%# S%&$ excuse they come up with!... :angry: )

One would hope that these things change but until we stop chalking it up to coincidence and speak out, the bigotry will continue.

yea i heard about prada not using any girls of color..CNN wanted to ask them why and they declined any comment.. excuse after,f***in excuse..they need to get real.

As You Like It said:
To be honest, I can't tell most of these white girls apart. Not to mention some colors just don't look that good on a girl with fair skin and blonde or light brown hair. Just to keep things more interesting and do the clothing justice, there should be more girls of other ethnicities out there--darker skin, different features, a new attitude. Most of the most stylishly-dressed women I know are African-American women, and when you consider that like 30% of the general population of the US is black, but about 2% of the modeling pool is, well, you know they are missing out on a large market and a lot of very beautiful girls.

For the longest, I have argued that there needs to be more diversity in the modelling pool; not only in ethnicity, but in stature---there are some breathtaking short and medium-height women out there, and I still feel that it is incorrect for the high-fashion industry to completely write off the plus-size population. Hello, there are heavyset rich women out there who'd probably spend the big bucks on Dior, Prada, et. al. if those desigers would design for their size ranges and market toward them.

Amen to THAT! When I look at editorials, apart from the alien girls :alien: and the ethnic models, I cannot tell them apart! At certain angels, how could one possibly diffrenciate Hana S. and Valentina Z.?!?

First of all, if I hear one more time that there aren't enough tall Asian people to model I'm going to scream. That is so ignorant. And I can't believe I even have to say this, but so untrue. Asia is one huge f*cking continent with billions of people.....

Second of all, a lot of Asian people DO want to see other Asian people in the media. That is extremely important to me. It's extremely important to me to see all non-white cultures and races represented. I really don't want to hear that excuse that "Asian people like Western beauty". Don't ever speak for billions of people like that. Every single person in this world is different. Many Asian people that I know, including myself, love Asian beauty just fine. If anything, most Asian men I know prefer to date within their own race very strictly, while the women are more openminded. Just my personal experiences.

theres this picture that i remember seeign it was an ad for some hair care product it had Iman, Beverly Johnson and a certain model from Holland all lookin very hot. How i wish someone could find it for me

pinkyee said:
she isn't a model
she is an actress

yes....i remembered there was a film of her and Jackie Chan....
In Hong Kong...actor/singers are always on the cover..
Models are not really popular...
people who called Top model...in HK..they just do local career...(very little editional and ad)

My fave asian model: juliana Imai...brazilian, but still...

Fave black model: Nakeisha Robinson and Hawa Diawara...theyre like twins...a nd Nakeisha looks better now than she did wehn she first came out (see Reyes ss06 show)...

I dont like Ana Sofia at all...she looks way too young, and her Victoira'sl secret work is just really disturbing, like kiddie p*rn. I cant believe Vs is going in that direction now (see thier pink line)

(naver.com)

some so young Kang's pics

she was born in 1986 and she take first place in the Korea super model contest.

I think she resembles Heather Marks..:P :heart:

SJPdeux said:
Ms. Campbell:P

:heart: :woot: She has done so much(maybe the most) in popularizing black models and her achievements. When you think of Supermodel you think of "Naomi". I've heard it so many times, but it's true.

i think that they truely should make the models more international and not from one origin...i mean the whole world is buying from this designer so why not widen the models' choices..

Asian arabic and african models got what it takes too and should all be on covers.so give a chance

i also think some really great models, for example some japanese models that i've seen, dont become international because they are already quite popular in their own countries. a lot of them may just prefer staying in that one country.

Asian is soo hot right now...

Asian's seem to be the big runway trend this year. I've only seen two black- or 'black looking'- models really out there this year so far (Liya and Emanuela), but the Asians seem to be rivaling the eastern bloc models in popularity.

Du Juan- the showstopper.
00210m.jpg

00210m.jpg

00370m.jpg

Hye Rim Park- the hype!
00380m.jpg

00170m.jpg

00100m.jpg

Anne Wantanabe- the newcomer
00220m.jpg

00400m.jpg

00340m.jpg