Athina Onassis Roussel

As to Charlotte & Athina, it's true that there are some differences in their lives. At the same time, there are similarities which might not be inconsiderable.

Some of these similarities are:
* That they were born into a "very certain type of family" (as Meg said)
* That they both inherited their own private islands at a young age (for Charlotte, from her paternal grandfather who died in 1998; for Athina, from her mother exactly ten years before)
* That they displayed an early inclination and attachment to equestrianism
* That as babies, indeed within days of being born, they have been on magazine covers
* That their respective mothers had been very much part of the "jet set" of their generation, and in fact, there is some enticing gossip about Christina Onassis' crush on Philippe Junot and jealousy of Caroline for "catching" him! :lol:

It also strikes me that a number of coincidences connect them, despite many people's determination to think them the least likely of any two people to be friends!!!!:lol: Eugenie Niarchos, no doubt one of Charlotte's "top five," is the granddaughter of Athina's great-aunt Eugenie Livanos Niarchos. Eugenie (the younger, and the living, that is) and Athina were as little girls both junior bridesmaids at the respective weddings of their mutual Livanos cousins. I don't doubt that Eugenie and Athina have little in common beyond being cousins. It's pretty obvious that Eugenie never had the smallest inclination to spend her time on horseback jumping over fences. Yet I mention it because it seems to be one of many little particulars that connect, to varying degrees of importance, the Casiraghis and Athina.

MEG implied (forgive me, Meg, if I misunderstood you) that these kind of familial, and even scholastic connections/similarities might be overridden by the total difference of daily activities and lifestyle. There is no case for argument, for it is fairly obvious, as Athina doesn't attend fashion shows and art gallery openings, nor do we ever see her in gala attire, smiling beside Karl Lagerfeld. Yet I will propose the idea that it's possible we might see them socializing at jumping events more often because it seems like Charlotte is making a considerable effort to reconnect herself with equestrian people, and who could be a more natural equestrian companion than a woman with whom she shares so many similarities of situation?

I like seeing how Doda is there for her at all the shows and same for her. She is looking really great. thanks ForChicSake

I like seeing how Doda is there for her at all the shows and same for her. She is looking really great. thanks ForChicSake

where else would they be? where do they ever go besides?! :P:lol:

I'm just teasing you. Forchic, Thanks for the new pics. I like the fifth one, first in second row.

^Haha
Athina & Doda could take the all-expense paid summer vacation of their dreams if they wanted to. Some people like the Dellals would have them, just for the kick of having them, on that hot vessel the Chalice, and they could eat the Dellals' food and drink the Dellals' wine,and not be any "poorer" for it! B)

^Haha
Athina & Doda could take the all-expense paid summer vacation of their dreams if they wanted to. Some people like the Dellals would have them, just for the kick of having them, on that hot vessel the Chalice, and they could eat the Dellals' food and drink the Dellals' wine,and not be any "poorer" for it! B)

Hmmm that sounds like a certain other Arab billionaire we know ::cough:: Mohamed Al-Fayed...^_^

Well to be honest, it's not like they work a typical 9 - 5. Chewsteraghi, you didn't really misinterpret me, however I wasn't suggesting that their differences would outweigh their backgrounds/education. Simply that their lives overlap in some unique ways, and differ in others and I'm just curious as to the type of connection they have. I think you are spot on about the equestrianism thing though. And I agree - she looks great at the event in Rio

Athina is selling Skorpios

Athens - American business magnate Bill Gates is the main contender to purchase the private Greek island of Skorpios, the site of the wedding of Jacqueline Kennedy to billionaire Aristotle Onassis, reports said Monday. Greek reports said negotiations are under way to sell the lush green Ionian island for 120 million euros to the Microsoft chairman by Onassis' sole heiress Athina Roussel Onassis-Miranda.

Once the private property of the late Greek shipping billionaire Aristotle Onassis, the island was the site of his 1968 wedding to the widow of US president John F Kennedy.

Upon Onassis' death, the island passed to his daughter Christina and then in turn to her daughter Athina. Onassis, his son Alexander and his daughter Christina are all buried on the island.

Athina, the sole surviving direct descendant of Onassis, owns at least 2.5 billion euros in property, businesses, stocks, artwork and private jets.

The Onassis heiress rarely spends any time on the island and reports have said that she has been interested in selling it for quite some time after falling out with the Greek government over its refusal to grant her husband Brazilian-born Alvaro de Miranda citizenship to participate in the equestrian competition for the Athens 2004 Olympics.

Aside from Gates, US pop music icon Madonna has also expressed interest in buying the island.

The island is virtually empty of inhabitants and visitors are forbidden, with guards watching its shores to prevent trespassers.

The island contains the Pink House, also refereed to as Jackie's villa, tennis courts and lavish gardens.

URL=http://img193.imageshack.us/i/w26d.jpg/]
w26d.jpg
[/url]

^Man, if I only had that much to spend on an island I would bid on it too!!! :(

I don't know why Athina would sell land where her mother and uncle are buried. I wouldn't want someone else tromping all over my mother's grave. Or worse.... they could move them :(

Plus talk about privacy, Athina could vacation here and not have one paparazzi lens on her at all! I hope she isn't selling it.

^ yeah I was about to say the same. I found it truly odd that she is selling a place where her Mother is buried. I wonder if she will move them to Brazil? Sometimes she shows her age (or younger) like the whole thing with Doda and the Olympics. The government has it's reasons and I don't know Greece that well but I doubt not giving Doda citizenship is somehow a vendetta against her or him.

I didn't know about Doda being denied Greek citizenship. I don't know anything about the Greek law but in some countries,it is automatic to be a citizen of your spouse's country. In the US, you become a US citizen if you marry a US citizen. But international law is very complicated and beyond my knowledge and like you say, the Greek gov't will have their reasons. Considering the high profile of this couple and that Doda is a highly renowned Brazilian athlete, there might be political reasons, who knows?

Anyway, there is an article about Athina and the sale of Skorpios in French:
http://www.illustre.ch/athina_veut_sacrifier_skorpios_2435_.html
Roughly translated below
It says a lot of what is in the other articles. It says the island is for sale. It talks about the heritage of the island, which is well known: wedding place for Ari Onassis & Jackie Kennedy; in the chapel are buried Ari, Christina, Alexander, and Ari's sister Artemis. It says the island's maintenance cost Athina 1.5 million francs per year. As a child, she was ambivalent about the island and the Onassis name & money, and never set foot on Skorpios since attaining maturity. But in recent years she tried to reconnect with her maternal heritage. She liquidated her Greek properties & assets. She failed to obtain the Onassis Foundation presidency but has not attempted to fight the decision.
She organized the Christina Onassis Horse Show in Athens. It says that Doda wanted not only to be Greek citizen but to represent Greece @ Olympics, which I think is weird, because he is so highly established as a Brazilian rider, and why does he want to turn away from his own nationality? In any case, the Greek Minister of the Interior refused the request. It says Athina, for revenge, snubbed the 500 guests @ the gala before the horse show and only spoke the whole evening with Doda.
She sold off her mother's jewels and Saint Moritz chalet.
She had a falling out with Marilena Patronikolas, with whom she stayed during the Athens Olympics. It says Athina might be patching things up with her father and regularly visits him & Gaby and her siblings, always without Doda.
Today she makes her life in Brazil. She rises @ ten minutes to seven in the morning, has healthy breakfast (cereal, whole wheat bread, and fruit). The couple takes Viviane to school and then goes to attend to their twenty horses. Doda explained to the Brazilian magazine "Gente" that they work with the horses for seven hours a day. Doda works with 8 or 9 of them, athina five. At 4:30 they pick up Viviane from school and return to their house. They have a dinner of fish and salad.
The article proceeds to talk about their high investment in the Athina Onassis Jumping event, first in Sao Paulo, where they live, now in Rio. Doda mentions Charlotte Casiraghi. He says: "Elles sont amies." (They are friends.)
Doda said both he and Athina want to have a child. He said they would like to have a son in 3-4 years. He said for the moment Athina is devoted to Viviane, whom she raises like her own daughter.

Athina in Rio, first week of August

33om73k.jpg

Source: Getty Images

I wonder what phone she has. Maybe the new iPhone?

She looks like one of my friends. I want to see her in dresses.

me too. I know she likes to keep a low profile but I would love to see her out and about more, not just at equestrian events.

Childhood

Ibiza holidays on the family boat, "Pickwick," playing with her siblings in the sea, and at the water park with friends and family

Source: Medium Photo

Snowboarding in St. Moritz

Source: Medium Photo

Newer

Miracle Africa International Foundation Gala
26 August 2009, Global Champions Tour fundraiser in Valkenswaard, Netherlands

Left to right: Unknown, Princess Caroline of Monaco, Edwina Alexander, Charlotte Casiraghi, Athina, and Khadja Nin

Source: www.globalchampionstour.com

I really love those pictures of her in her youth. It makes me wish she would go back to the dark brown hair she has.

Me too. Please post more of her childhood and teen years :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->