Azzedine Alaia - The All-Things Azzedine Alaia Thread

Is it Alaïa ?

86746967.jpg

^ It is :flower:.

That coat is gorgeous. I died the first time I saw it. Whoever gets it is really lucky :smile:.

And rip_ian_curtis I'm also curious if he designs the shoes as well or if someone else does that.

Are you guys ready for the greatness??? IN HQ....

.....:wub:........

Azzedine Alaïa F/W 07-08 (The pics from that thread are dead) all pics from thecelebritycity forums

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :buzz: :buzz: :buzz:

i almost died of joy! - have saved literally every pic :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ It is :flower:.

That coat is gorgeous. I died the first time I saw it. Whoever gets it is really lucky :smile:.

And rip_ian_curtis I'm also curious if he designs the shoes as well or if someone else does that.

He designs all his own shoes, and cuts the patterns for them himself. I guess he would have an in-house person making the prototypes too.

Was interesting to read recently that Alaia cut the prototype for YSL's Mondrian dress, the lines on the dress are not printed but actually different pattern peices seamed together.

IN5137765A-model-pre_38319t.jpg

He does a LOT of work that noone sees, has cut/designed/consulted for lots of other brands and friends. I was curious as to whether he's had any input on Prada recently as the shoes for the past few seasons seem very 'inspired' by him, and the incredible tweed/leather coats from this season are a throwback to some he did in 86-87.

Jamess, you'll need to provide the source for that image or it will have to be removed. Thank you.

He designs all his own shoes, and cuts the patterns for them himself. I guess he would have an in-house person making the prototypes too.

Was interesting to read recently that Alaia cut the prototype for YSL's Mondrian dress, the lines on the dress are not printed but actually different pattern peices seamed together.

sdfgs

He does a LOT of work that noone sees, has cut/designed/consulted for lots of other brands and friends. I was curious as to whether he's had any input on Prada recently as the shoes for the past few seasons seem very 'inspired' by him, and the incredible tweed/leather coats from this season are a throwback to some he did in 86-87.

i find it rather astonishing and sad really that anyone would assume that the dress had that pattern printed/screened on...
of course it is separate pieces sewn together...
clothes at that level are never printed...
that would be the H&M version...

just goes to show how people have gotten used to cheaper manufacturing techniques...
:(...

but what does this mean...?!
did alaia work as a pattern maker at YSL at some point???
that dress is from the 60's, so it would have to have been a VERY long time ago...
:unsure:

sorry Spike, for some reason I cant edit my post, that image was from www.independent.co.uk

Softgrey, I did know the dress wasnt printed before that, just thought Ide add it since its quite astonishing that it still keeps such a perfect line.

Alaia moved to paris in the late 50s to work for Dior (lasted a few days I think?) The Mondrian was made in '65 so it seems to fit in. Would have been after Guy Laroche and pre-Mugler, for whom he did a lot work. Not sure how much else he did for YSL but Yves held him in high regard and advised the seamstresses in his couture house, when it closed, to go to Alaia.
Worth mentioning is that he did a lot of work too with Marc Audibet (designer of Prada RTW in the 90s) developing fabric.

Lol hes in his 70s, hes been around.

^ thanks for that info!

I hope he's still around by the time i can afford a wardrobe full of Alaia! Because that is seriously where my paychecks are going to be invested. :ninja:

Ah nice to know :flower:. I guess I should expect no less. You seem quite knowledgeable about him; thanks for sharing :smile:.

Cover Magzine August 2009
Photography by Kacper Kasprzyk
Stylist: Karolina Isomaki
Model: Ranya Mordanova

source:scanned by AX80

AMAZING. My heart literally stood still for a few seconds while I took in all of the details, just divine. I'd love to see a better picture of that python jacket, just for curiosity sake. The first outfit intrigues me the most, how amazing. And of course, those white dresses are perfection.

Thanks for posting!...those are pieces from the FW09 collection :heart:...Ranya isn't really an Alaïa girl -_-

i'm quite sure Katie Grand is wearing Alaia here:

grand-680x1024.jpg

stylesightings.com

Was Suzy's review of his spring collection not mentioned anywhere on tFS yet?
alaialg.jpg

NYTimes.com
October 9, 2009
Sport Alaïa

By SUZY MENKES
PARIS — Azzedine Alaïa knows exactly who he is and the values that he stands for. But the skill of the designer is to tilt his precise vision to the look of the moment. So there was a surprise start to the collection the designer sent out Thursday before a crowd of eager buyers and his most faithful client, Naomi Campbell.
A sporty vibe energized the show as stretch biker shorts were teamed with streamlined white cotton blouses — that turned to show two soft bows at the back.
This play on hard and soft was so subtly done that Mr. Alaïa’s signature dresses, flaring from the waist, had inserts of crystal piping — a more sophisticated version of the ubiquitous summer sequins.
From coats sculpted in black or white, to the famous snug Alaïa jacket in python or leather, the designer showed his signature skills, craftsmanship and a nose for the new.
Transparency? There were vaporous organza dresses with a whirlpool of pattern. Utility? A cotton dress apparently wrapped round the body like an apron but actually was worked with hidden seams.
The 1980s? There was a suit woven by hand with leather and metal mesh. Mr Alaïa was, after all, the king of the 1980s. And a quarter of a century on, he has kept his royal fashion status.

Out of all the shows, the only one NOT covered by style.com or explicitly reviewed by a major fashion publication is, ironically, Alaia's.
Shame, because it's always one of the very best.
I'm dying to see the full spring collection.

If anyone has it, do post.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->