Balenciaga Mens F/W 07.08 Paris

brian

Reaction score
January 30, 2007
How do you pin down a collection that pings around in the unbridgeable gulfs between Helmut Berger, Kurt Cobain, Darth Vader, and Roald Amundsen? Why even try? You just surrender. Balenciaga offered a navy pinstripe suit and an elegantly elongated black overcoat that would bring out the Berger in a modern dandy. There were mohair-webbed grungy knits and a twisted preppy subtext ("B" for Balenciaga writ large on a T-shirt stitched over a striped top) that Cobain might have related to. On other T-shirts Darth's face loomed, while designer Nicolas Ghesquière's taste for sci-fi also made its presence felt in another motif that could have been lifted from period promo material for the space race.

The most intriguing theme, however, was polar exploration. Perhaps that was Ghesquière's way of acknowledging global warming, because the polar styles had the slightly retro feel of the kit of the original pioneers, men like Amundsen who would have seen the ice caps in their pristine splendor. A khaki nylon parka was decked with polar insignia, fur tippets attached to jacket collars for added warmth, and a fleece hat with big earflaps made for striking headgear. And silk scarves printed with old maps were so romantic as to compel a re-examination of the rest of the collection. Was there also a kind of romance in the lavaliere ties on evening shirts? Or in the tan leather biker jacket that, paired with the stonewashed chinos, might suit a 21st-century Indiana Jones? Even the Rorschach-bleached denims hinted at outré psychological depths.

— Tim Blanks

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg

men.style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful pants, blah collection but I will most likely be getting the first peacoat with fur collar if my other options fail...

very interesting mix. i love that last sweater....and also the one with the crest....then the striped blazer.

absolutely hate the pleated chinos though. yuck. too many nightmares of all my conservative teachers in high school :lol:

I Love This Collection. I could do w/o the chinos which are too...make the collection more dowdy.

Oooh! I like! Finally! This is, what, the fourth collection this season that I like? Very J. Crew, though. Doesn't scream Balenciaga to me. I like the scarves, bags, cardigans, and the striped blazer.

fresh.striking styling.thnx brian for everything during these last days.

why did i even look at the other collections, this is me.

only complaint, make the pants a bit more tailored and slim fitting.

really love the black blazer with epaulettes and the first green duffle, yummy.

I actually like most of it。yummy collection!
it's just so metro-sexual, but in a fresh way IMHO. the swtrs and jackets are my favorites, and i like the way they layered especially.

I love that carry-all bag. But that's probably all of it. Compared with his womenswear, the recent menswear always look so...perfunctory. I still prefer what they did two or three years ago, those ridiculously small sizing and super super slim-cutting.

00170m.jpg

I hate this jacket..and thst it..
the rest are..awesome..

ew. it all looks really off to me. I don't like any of it at all.

i agree with caffeine...love the styling and layering...
in the first few posts i like all of the outfits from the waist up...:lol:

LOVE the varsity "B" sweater layered under the striped top...
and the navy carryall is very nice too...
so un-moto bag...:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->