Balmain Haute Couture S/S 2019 Paris

Mother of god...this is 80s Claude Montana on a nasty overdose of the cheapest crack money can buy!

It totally screams "HEY, LOOK AT ME, I AM OLIVIER ROUSTEING AND I MAKE HAUTE COUTURE...CAN ANYONE HEAR ME OUT THERE??

This makes Zuhair Murad and Elie Saab look minimalistic...congratulations, Olivier!

Last edited:
I'm quite confused, I usually dislike Balmain and it seems that I have an unpopular opinion here, but more I see this collection more I enjoy this 1st Couture show of Olivier Rousteing. Couture weeks are so weak and boring nowadays that any "out of the blue" collections get my attention. Some of his propositions are interesting to look at... especially the details and the construction (it remains me Viktor & Rolf when they were relevant). It's Couture! It has to be risky, creative, almost unwearable.
Outside the show, couture client gets easier versions anyway...

I wonder why Olivier actually felt like we needed him in the Couture calendar...

He barely looks human and I guess, it was a matter of time for his clothes and models to follow.

It’s a mess, a very expensive mess.

I guess him and Giambattista Villa had a discount at the same fabric supplier.

What a sad and gloomy Couture Week...

I think real and masterful couturier knows when and where to go extravagant and when and where to edit. All I see here is crazy and big ideas with no purpose. Trying to be outrageous without having a good eye. I used to love his very first collections, but he's lost me and his mind.

hehehe..Olivier dealer got the loudest pack ....what a way to end a very underwhelming week ...good evening ...good night ....

I actually enjoy this collection, but I think I do so because the rest of the collections are not that great and this is not one of the worse.

Db-koTiU0AEVyG0.jpg

PBS

It's Balmain, sooooo….
I do have to admit, I'm a bit obsessed with the pink skirt in slide 30

An extract from Amy Verner´s review from Vogue.com (just the end of it:(

So for now, one can only ask: Who is the Balmain couture woman? Cue Rousteing’s reply, which can be interpreted as you wish: “It’s an interesting question because we don’t know.”

Olivier, darling...we have already noticed it. :mrgreen:

An extract from Amy Verner´s review from Vogue.com (just the end of it:(

So for now, one can only ask: Who is the Balmain couture woman? Cue Rousteing’s reply, which can be interpreted as you wish: “It’s an interesting question because we don’t know.”

Olivier, darling...we have already noticed it. :mrgreen:
That is both great and terrible!
It’s great because it means that Couture is still needed today. There’s a clientele willing to pay for high quality clothes and what was seen as a marketing tool is also now a commercial opportunity for a brand.

It’s terrible because they did it for that reason only. Why Couture when you have already very expensive RTW?
Obviously, no celebrity is going to wear this (I hope for them) as they are wearing custom stuff.

There are a lot of flaws in terms of construction and execution so, we cannot even say that he did it to highlight the Balmain Atelier.

La Folie Des Grandeurs!

This collection only serves two purposes; one is the commercial haute couture brand marketing and two is Olivier's ego. God, the word editing is not in his dictionary. And those tule cake dresses are not flattering.

That is both great and terrible!
It’s great because it means that Couture is still needed today. There’s a clientele willing to pay for high quality clothes and what was seen as a marketing tool is also now a commercial opportunity for a brand.

It’s terrible because they did it for that reason only. Why Couture when you have already very expensive RTW?
Obviously, no celebrity is going to wear this (I hope for them) as they are wearing custom stuff.

There are a lot of flaws in terms of construction and execution so, we cannot even say that he did it to highlight the Balmain Atelier.

La Folie Des Grandeurs!

To be honest, I don´t have the faintest idea what the execs are thinking when they give green light to a collection like this one...I think the explanation given by @helmutnotdead could be quite feasible here: pure money laundry!

But in any case I must thank Olivier for this collection...lots of laughs here! :rofl: Do you know when a film is soo bad, it becomes good? Well, this is the fashion equivalent to B movies, Olivier is like Ed Wood!

Wow, ok. This collection actually managed to leave me speechless! For some reason I just assumed Balmain's couture line will actually have a bit more restraint? But it's like Olivier poured all his crazy and tacky camp into this line.

Very first thing I noticed is that he's trying really hard to impress and position his label next to Margiela and Viktor & Rolf. But with bling, of course. It's not intellectual at all, and there's no element which were executed in a manner where you could consider this artsy.

More importantly, who will be wearing this? He should've just stuck to making weaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->