Balmain Pre-Fall 2014

fierceboi

Reaction score
When combing through Pierre Balmain’s couture archive, Olivier Rousteing was surprised to find a panther-printed evening dress. It became the starting point of his pre-fall collection.

The motif, not obvious in the Balmain vocabulary, gave way to an African safari theme, further inspired by photographer Peter Beard’s work — the wild beauty of the African landscape and the graceful beauty of Somalian model Iman — who Beard discovered in the Seventies. It created an ideal canvas for Rousteing to work both a casual and glamorous side with, respectively, earthy utilitarian pieces and eveningwear echoing the disco days of Studio 54. Army green shades were prevalent as were warm-colored panther prints and graphic zebra stripes worked on myriad versions of the safari jacket, from ones in casual washed cotton to soft leather. Chic black tuxedo styles were paired with fluid jogging pants or midcalf-length skirts.

Knitwear was a large part of the lineup, also done in the animal motifs and used for a body-conscious cable-knit top and skirt.

The more sporty-street feel came via oversize bomber jackets, some embroidered macramé-style with ropes and crystals for a look Rousteing described as slightly Nineties hip-hop.

WWD

Attachments

• balmain01.jpg
    balmain01.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 29
  • balmain02.jpg
    balmain02.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 16
  • balmain03.jpg
    balmain03.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 19
  • balmain04.jpg
    balmain04.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 21
  • balmain05.jpg
    balmain05.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 10
  • balmain06.jpg
    balmain06.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 13
  • balmain07.jpg
    balmain07.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 7
  • balmain08.jpg
    balmain08.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
  • balmain09.jpg
    balmain09.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
  • balmain10.jpg
    balmain10.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 13
Looks interesting so far. Love that knotted leather top.

I love the 1st skirt and the 4th top. And the shoes!
Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the stereotypical "African safari" concept, though I appreciate how muted this is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->