Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop

I don't think this collection is that special but there are some cute pieces and the prices aren't bad

The blouses run very large because of the flowy style. I am normally a size 12 but I was really swimming around in it, so I got a size 10. But I think I could have even worn a size 8 if I didn't want it to be so blousy. Hope this helps!

:flower:

Crap, I wish their sizing was more consistent. I just caught the dress I bought in the lookbook video and it looks like the model is getting ready to fall out of the top of it:shock: Stupid to make a dress that you have to wear a tank underneath, especially when you have an open back with bow detail.

Anyone have a chance to go to the store and try things out yet?

I tried the coral dress looks great but it's shockingly short. I'm a size 8 and 5'7'' and it would be impossible for me to wear it as a dress because it almost does not cover the bum. The size ten looked less indecent(but still indecent) but was a bit large, it does not matter under the breast, but it did not look as good in the shoulders. I have large shoulders and even then it looked big.

In general I think the dress looks and fits gorgeous, and it's going to look absolutely great on someone a bit shorter than me.

Loverunway-the dress runs true to size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the collection, I couldn't sleep tonight because i was all excited and I wouldn't want to miss the start of the online sale. I bought the suede jacket with matching shorts and the black jumpsuit. I hope it fits.......(keeps fingers crossed).

Anyway, it seems there is less interest for this collection than the Kate Moss collection for instance. Nothing has sold out yet (except the Olson twins blouse) and even this thread only has a couple of posts. I don't understand why. I like Kate's collection, but it's a remake of things she finds in vintage stores, Barbara's collection is more modern to me.

Did anyone go to a Topshop store? Did the collection get some attention?

joyeux- yeah I hardly slept because I woke up early for it and it took me ages to get to sleep haha.
And most things are sold out!!Not just the MK blouse- also the shoulder pad dress and loads of other things in most sizes.
Haha that's funny- it's eant to be the other way round because this one is meant to be vintage looking.

Im thinking about the blue girl print shorts... anyone seen it in person?

ohh i want the tea dress! i bet because of its popularity- they'll stock lots more!

hmmmm

my dresses arrived today. At £55 a piece these are pretty much standard topshop prices [anyone remember when you could get a decent frock from there and still get change from £30!?] but the quality is definitely not Topshop standard. The material on both dresses is pretty horrific. As soon as I got the dresses out of the packets I recoiled in horror.

As with all topshop clothes these days, its really a blind guess as to which size will actually fit. Im normally a size 10 but based on past topshop designer collaborations I thought i should size up so I got a 12. oops. Both dresses are enormous. In fact a 10 would probably be on the generous size.

Coral dress:
Im 5'7 and the size 12 [or US10] is short but as long as I dont bend over or go for a walk in any seedy areas I could probably just get away with it. If the size 10 is any shorter Id imagine I'd get locked up for indecent exposure.
The shoulder pads are a couple of padded discs sewn on quite loosely in two parts so, if like me, you think that you resemble an American footballer in shoulder pads, you could easily remove them.

Girl print Sundress:
This is a much more reasonable length for someone not "vertically challenged". ahem. once again Im swimming in a size 10 and could have probably got away with an 8 [and this is coming from someone that lives in baggy tent dresses.] As it is there is no way I could wear this dress without flashing the world a nipple [or two] but the open back makes it impossible to wear a bra. I'd probably have to team it up with a vest/tank underneath just to save my modesty. Again I have to come back to the price and [I think justified] expectations. This is h&m quality not what I expect from a Topshop designer collaboration. The print is cute but looks quite cheap up close and especially or viscose.

So for a total of £110 Im not crazy about them to justify keeping either. So the question is: ebay or return to store?

I tried on the coral dress last night in TopShop High Street Kensington. I'm size 12 / 5"8.5 and have quite long legs in proportion to my body. It was a really large cut, so needed a 10 and it was knicker-flashingly short. Thumbs down.

I've bought the scarf with the stars online (the one that's the same as the top that one of the Olsens wore) but I have a funny feeling it'll be ebayed or returned.

I'm a bit concerned now, I bought the dress in a size 10 and I'm something between a 8 and a 10..

i want tt star embroidered blouse so much!!! but it's sold out straight on the first day alr
:( am wondering if they'll bring it in to singapore...

....it was knicker-flashingly short.

:rofl::rofl:

it seems that some of these blouses and dresses would be best worn with leggings...

i think barbara will be doing a repeat collection in the late summer with TS.

and for those in the states, barbara's designs for bebe is starting to go on sale...

The coral dress is actually a blouse, which explains why it is so short... It's just been styled in all shoots as a dress, which is maybe where the confusion has come from :smile:

I've done insanely short dresses before with 100 den tights and a pair of hotpants and it was always fine :D

But I dunno if I really need another coral one. It might have to go back.

Hopefully it arrives tomorrow so I can find a replacement outfit for Girls Aloud on Saturday night if it's not suitable :innocent:

Oh-oh, now I'm getting really worried about the sizing.........

hmmmm

Girl print Sundress:
This is a much more reasonable length for someone not "vertically challenged". ahem. once again Im swimming in a size 10 and could have probably got away with an 8 [and this is coming from someone that lives in baggy tent dresses.]

As it is there is no way I could wear this dress without flashing the world a nipple [or two] but the open back makes it impossible to wear a bra. I'd probably have to team it up with a vest/tank underneath just to save my modesty. The print is cute but looks quite cheap up close and especially or viscose.

Efffffffffff. I thought the dress said it was silk on the website?

I knew after I saw the video lookbook the fit was effed up on the print dresses with the bow tied back. Why didn't I watch that first:doh:

Here is a freeze frame shot of the blue leopard one w/the same cut, I'm assuming it is similar to the fit you got? I'm between a 2 and 4 and went with the 4, big mistake I see.
barbarah.jpg

dsc0534.jpg

a photo of me in the dress so you can see how short it is. I'm 5"5 and it is quite short :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->