Barbara Hulanicki for ASDA

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
i :heart: this woman. she's so honest.

BARBARA HULANICKI'S split from Biba may have been difficult but she's putting it all behind her.
"It was very painful when it all first happened," she admits. "I had to go away to get myself back together and of course I miss all the designers terribly. But I have a new life now. I like living in America because everyone looks to the future, they don't look back all the time."
Hulanicki, who recently dismissed the House of Fraser's Biba relaunch is about to launch a new collection for George at Asda.
"The thing I didn't like about the new Biba relaunch was the prices - it is too expensive," she says. "With Asda it's the total opposite - it's like the old days in the Sixties. I love seeing people happily shopping without feeling guilty because they've spent too much. I want to do what I always have done - make clothes for young people living in bedsits. What was different about designing for Asda was creating pieces that go up to size 20. I had to do things in a different way - it was exciting."
Despite setting up the iconic Biba label in the Sixties, Hulanicki confesses that it wasn't all free love, peace and harmony.
"Actually me and all the designers of the time, like Zandra Rhodes and Mary Quant, all hated each other," she tells us. "We definitely didn't talk to each other, everyone was too busy making dresses. It was very basic and raw in those days. Parties were for musicians, not fashion designers."

How has the industry changed since she first began her career?
"What is different now is how designers have to come up with completely new ideas every time they show their collections," she says. "It must be terribly difficult. When Biba first opened we moved very fast and there was never enough to stock because our customers were always so hungry, but there was never this massive shift from autumn/winter to spring/summer that there is today. You would change the chiffon summer dresses to coats and jackets but your style would still be the same. It was a much simpler way of working."

vogue.co.uk

Now she is working on yet another womenswear collection for George at Asda. It came about when brand director Fiona Lambert went to a Q&A session with Barbara for the documentary made about her life – Beyond Biba. 'When she spoke about how she had made Biba accessible to everyone – so much of what she was saying is exactly what we do at George,' Fiona told Grazia daily. In the current range, the price points for George are so low that they match the prices of the original Biba bits and pieces in the Sixties! Barbara concedes that she herself loves a bargain. 'I do definitely hunt around. I’m not into vintage myself, but I love to go into high street shops or cheap little shops and find something wonderful that then I know no-one else will have. It’s not that I don’t like the look [of vintage]. On other people it looks great - I personally can’t do it because of all the weird energy that comes off them, from their previous owners,’ she adds with a croaky laugh. ‘Perhaps I’m a bit psychic.' In reality though, you can’t imagine her swathed in the swirly patterns and maxi dresses that she made her name designing for Biba. Sharp of bob and permanently half hidden behind giant black sunglasses, she’s a fashion forward dresser in her sculptural Rick Owens jacket and all-black uniform.
source: grazia

Attachments

• hula1.jpg
    hula1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hula2.jpg
    hula2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads