Becoming a Buyer?

Off topic but im going to be applying to mmu for that course as well for sept 12 :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, tracijune!

Can't help you with school requirments .. but perhaps someone else her is familiar with Manchester Metropolitan University and their buyer's program.

As far as "experience" goes ... they could be talking about a real job in an office with a buyer ... or they might be talking about "work experience / internships". Generally unpaid internships in the US require that you be in school and are getting school credit for it. But I"m not sure about the UK. Some small companies may take you on as an unpaid intern ... so it never hurts to ask to see if they will consider it.

One suggestion ... you don't have to take a "fashion" buying and merchandising course specifically to get into fashion. A general course would probably work just as well ... numbers are numbers and sale projections are sales projections, no matter what the industry is.

You might also want to ask questions in these other, more specific threads:

London & United Kingdom Schools ... for Fashion

All About Internships and Work Experience Placements #2

BetteT, thank you for the welcome and another thank you for your great advice! I'm going to look at other general buying & merchandising degrees, and contact a few companies throughout this week regarding some unpaid work. Fingers crossed.

snowqueen, perhaps I will see you there!

Does anyone have any updates on their pursuit of a buying career?

This thread has been open a long time and I would absolutely love to know what ended up working/not working for those of you who went after it!

I think I posted in this thread (albeit a long long time ago). I graduated University this year with a degree in International Business and I'm now 7 weeks into my first buying job as a men's footwear buyer! :smile:

I think I posted in this thread (albeit a long long time ago). I graduated University this year with a degree in International Business and I'm now 7 weeks into my first buying job as a men's footwear buyer! :smile:

It's really nice to see a tFSer begin their chosen career!

Just to give other aspiring buyers am idea of what to expect, can you tell us what sort it duties do you have? And what do you like about the job and what is your least favorite part?

Also, I believe one of the colleges that I'm looking at has a prerequisite of 2 years of math- it was either FIT or LIM.
Just wanted to stop by to say how happy I am I have found this thread one day and discovered LIM College where I am currently working on obtaining my Master degree to become a fashion buyer^_^
Can not wait to find an internship next year after struggling for so many years working in the areas I was not interested in and finally do what I am passionate about

Last edited by a moderator:
I work as an assistant buyer at a company who works in promotional goods field but i want to switch to fashion/retail sector. How do you think i can direct my carrer to that point?

I am currently a Buyer and one thing I can say is you don't necessarily need to go to fashion school to gain entry into the business. I went to school for business management and got a job in New York out of college working as an assistant buyer. I am currently buying in Miami and although getting a fashion education can be great I have learned more being on the job than any class could ever teach me. If you already have your bachelors I'd strongly recommend to just start applying ands your network or build a network of people to get you in the door for interviews.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Style Weaver!

Thanks for sharing .... it's always great when someone in the actual job can offer their opinions ans share their experiences.

SUBSCRIBING!
I want to become a buyer too. I study Finance so I am hoping that helps.

I had change of plans and I want to move forward with being a buyer. I graduated with a history degree and I was wondering if I just work as a sales associate, would I be able to move up to a assistant buyer. I did a lot of research and I notice that there are assistant buyers who's majors that were not business or fashion. I just need advice because this job is what I really want to do. :cry:

I think that you might be able to become an assistant buyer for a small shop or a small chain of stores, by working in sales first ... if they think you have the business mind to do this kind of work and an opening comes up. And that ... might allow you to move up in that store if they lost their buyer. But in small stores the owner is usually the buyer ... so I'm not sure that you would actually ever "move up". But ... it also might give you some "chops" to eventually work under a buyer for a large store ... if that is your goal.

There's no guarantees ... you never know where any job will take you. Usually, it's a surprise. It really depends on having the right skills and being in the right place a the right time.

I think that you might be able to become an assistant buyer for a small shop or a small chain of stores, by working in sales first ... if they think you have the business mind to do this kind of work and an opening comes up. And that ... might allow you to move up in that store if they lost their buyer. But in small stores the owner is usually the buyer ... so I'm not sure that you would actually ever "move up". But ... it also might give you some "chops" to eventually work under a buyer for a large store ... if that is your goal.

There's no guarantees ... you never know where any job will take you. Usually, it's a surprise. It really depends on having the right skills and being in the right place a the right time.

Thank you so much you gave really helpful advices :smile: I think that I will apply to small boutiques where I live and hopefully move up and build my experiences.

I tried getting an assistant buying or assistant merchandiser position in New York and I failed miserably, the level of competitions for this entry-level positions is incredibly high and I would say you definitely need some networking or contacts to get your feet on an interview, especially for big high end retailers. Assistant buying is not even an entry level position since most retailers ask you for a few years of experience. And I would say most people who get those entry level spots come from the best universities in the States.

I got recommended by a recruiter that the best way to land in one of those jobs is to start doing Consulting first and then do the change to Fashion. Do guys think it is really like this ? Or not really ? Is it really respected at the point you can land in an Assistant Buying position ? It just feels that I was in New York, practically everyone wanted to land a job in the Fashion industry.

I tried getting an assistant buying or assistant merchandiser position in New York and I failed miserably, the level of competitions for this entry-level positions is incredibly high and I would say you definitely need some networking or contacts to get your feet on an interview, especially for big high end retailers. Assistant buying is not even an entry level position since most retailers ask you for a few years of experience. And I would say most people who get those entry level spots come from the best universities in the States.

I got recommended by a recruiter that the best way to land in one of those jobs is to start doing Consulting first and then do the change to Fashion. Do guys think it is really like this ? Or not really ? Is it really respected at the point you can land in an Assistant Buying position ? It just feels that I was in New York, practically everyone wanted to land a job in the Fashion industry.

I know, the competition is enormous, and you get to have an experience even for an assistant position. I have been looking for a job for 3 weeks or so, applied for tons of positions and do not get that many interviews so far, even though I do have a Master's degree in the right area from a NY college now, a background in economics, a few years of experience, recent internship in a famous fashion company and another cool project for another very respected company. One gets to push harder I guess: more networking, more linkedin, more cold emails, recruiting agencies, career fairs, you never know what might help.

What do you mean by consulting? Financial consulting, fashion consulting?

I know, the competition is enormous, and you get to have an experience even for an assistant position. I have been looking for a job for 3 weeks or so, applied for tons of positions and do not get that many interviews so far, even though I do have a Master's degree in the right area from a NY college now, a background in economics, a few years of experience, recent internship in a famous fashion company and another cool project for another very respected company. One gets to push harder I guess: more networking, more linkedin, more cold emails, recruiting agencies, career fairs, you never know what might help.

What do you mean by consulting? Financial consulting, fashion consulting?

Thank god, someone's in the same position I was a few months ago in New York, plus I needed a visa which I guess put the companies off to my resumes, by the way I meant financial consulting. Good luck with your jobs search :smile:

Is it really necessary to go to fashion school to be a buyer? My friend works as a assistant buyer at Jcrew and she told me most of the buyers there and Madewell have a BA in all sorts of majors such as religion studies, sociology or media studies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->