All About Becoming a Fashion Photographer

How to make some money with these photos?

Not having much luck making any cash from all the hard work and time spent at fashion week.

www.backstagesideshow.com

Any suggestions about what do with this type of photography? I do get hired from time to time by designers to shoot for them but would like to have some outside sales.

Of course maybe I am just fooling myself about the quality/marketablity of these images.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• markreaykimnoordab.jpg
    markreaykimnoordab.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 8
I merged your post with this ongoing thread about becoming a pro fashion photographer ... maybe there is some good ideas here, if you read through the thread.

Also ... you might be interested in these threads:
Photographers ... About Submitting Editorials/Photos To/Working For Magazines
Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself
Photographers / Stylists - about rates / fees
Stylists, Makeup / Hair Artists, Photographers ... Sending your portfolio to clients
Building Your Portfolio ... Stylists, Hair/Makeup Artists etc.

If you are seeking a critique of your images .. .there is a thread where you may post some, in the Behind the Lens forum ... although not too many people seem to be forthcoming with real critiques. But, maybe ... if you sound sincere that you really are interested in some good advice about the images themselves and your photography technique and ask about marketability. Of course, you'll need to understand your own market first, to be able to pass that along to others to critique you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photography Agents

Hi Guys,
I have to say " sorry my terrible english please "
well
Now... i want find an Agent,
how many of you in their life do itself the same think?

well, how can i choose the best for my future?

any suggestions ar Welcome...

Thank you
M.

Yes, I am also curious about representation. I am currently not living in any of the country of fashion capitals. Therefore I am guessing it will be hard for me to pick up any fashion photography job. I reckon it will be much better if I am represented by an agency, where the agency can promote me to potential clients in the city. Can someone give more info about representation because I am not familiar with this thing, to be honest. Thank you! :smile:

Here are a few things I've heard about getting representation:
  • You usually need to be in the city that you agency is in ... unless you are well known and in demand.
  • In the beginning, they will not send you to other cities to work because the clients won't pay for your travel and expenses. That comes later when you become more in demand.
  • They won't kick start a newbie in the business. You need to have a well developed portfolio, some tears and some clients already. And lots of strong references.
  • They often want you to bring them your clients .... so it's a catch 22 ... because you want their clients. So somtimes, an agency will not work in your best interest.
  • If you do get representation, make sure you understand the contract and negotiate what you want. You probably do not want to pay them commission on gigs that you get on your own ... from your existing clients.
  • It's still a good idea to talk to agencies in your area and ask them at what point in your career that they will consider repping you. And ask if they will review your portfolio. They can advise you on what steps you need to take to get there.
Until you are ready to get representation, you must market yourself in your city. Here's another thread about that: Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself

Do most professional fashion photographers use medium format / SLR cameras? I saw the interview posted above about agencies paying for film and processing. Do they only pay photographers how know how to use such cameras? I'm only familiar with DSLR, is that not considered professional?

How differently does a medium format / SLR camera work from the DSLR? Would it be unprofessional to use a DSLR for fashion photography? Would professional fashion photographers not hire assistants who dont use the same camera as the ones they use? :cry:

Photgraphers use various cameras, depending on their clients and their own personal preferences. Some prefer film ... some prefer digital. Many use both. Some clients want a tethered digital so they can see the images as they are being taken ... they don't want to wait to see the film ... they'd rather make corrections on the spot. I think the we are seeing more digital nowadays, but for print magazines ... I think a lot of those are still film.

As an assistant, you need to be able to load film for various types cameras, change lenses and hook up all of the lighting and the computer, if it's tethered ... know how to sync everything, etc. Not too likely that you will actually use the cameras ... that isn't your job. But ... yeah ... you would need to be able to do all the set up and changes for their specific type of camera (or cameras) ... unless he want's to take time to train you.

A lot of assistants freelance ... so they work for various photographers as booked. So the more cameras and setups they know ... the better.

oh and how does a film camera work on set?
i'm in a huge dilemma...i'm thinking if i should learn more from a photography course in a school or if i should just apply for a job as a photographer's assistant. I mean, would they hire someone with a beginner's knowledge?

Yeah ... it's pretty clear that you don't have enough technical knowledge to assist a photographer, yet.

You need more than just "a photography course" to have enough basic skills to assist a actively working photographer, especially if he's shooting fashion or anything commercial. And if you expect to get paid.

Most assistants have graduated from a good photography school (4 years) or have almost finished, at least. Photography school is very expensive and so it the equipment that you must own. So, it's a serious thing, not to be taken lightly. New graduates become assistants at first to gain more experience and to just make a paycheck. Even though they have graduated, they are not ready to own their own business. That takes years to develop ... they usually try to improve their portfolios and find some low paying clients in their spare time and slowly build untill they can take the leap and quit assisting.

So, if you apply to assist a photographer, be aware that you would compete against photography school grads who know a lot about various gear and cameras and have some serious experience with photoshoots because of the various classes they took.

Yes, I am also curious about representation. I am currently not living in any of the country of fashion capitals. Therefore I am guessing it will be hard for me to pick up any fashion photography job. I reckon it will be much better if I am represented by an agency, where the agency can promote me to potential clients in the city. Can someone give more info about representation because I am not familiar with this thing, to be honest. Thank you! :smile:

Like BetteT said, being in a city is crucial. Some agencies I know take on people with no or very tiny books as assistants. At my agency I was taken on as an assistant stylist and assigned to the represented stylists to assist in whatever they needed. It's all about getting in somewhere and doing the work no one else wants to do and proving yourself. Let me know if you've got any other questions. I'll be happy to help answer them.

i understand the MMA (Margaret Maldonado Agency) is THE agency in LA for stylists... is there an equivalent in NYC?

i am looking for agencies representing stylists in Paris. do you think I can contact them telling I want to work as stylists assistant or that's not their matter?

If it's like the US ... you have to have a pretty good book and then you go in and show them and ask to be added to the "assistant's list" ... just in case one of their stylists needs an assistant ... as diornotwar said, above. But they won't put you in contact with the stylist ... it's confidential information.

But ... if you can find some agencies that rep stylists in Paris and they name the stylists on thier sites ... at least you will have some stylists' names and you can Google those names and see if you can find thier own personal sites. Then you can contact them directly via thier sites.

This thread is great! I agree that we should get this thread going..
I'd love to read more tips,experiences etc. Especially from people who posted on the earlier pages! Wonder how they are doing right now.. :smile:

I think every info shared here is really valuable for every aspiring (fashion) photographers, including me :smile:

I think I would send a letter to a local fashion photographer for internship after I gained more knowledge about photography. I'm still an amateur right now :smile:

Do most professional fashion photographers use medium format / SLR cameras? I saw the interview posted above about agencies paying for film and processing. Do they only pay photographers how know how to use such cameras? I'm only familiar with DSLR, is that not considered professional?

How differently does a medium format / SLR camera work from the DSLR? Would it be unprofessional to use a DSLR for fashion photography? Would professional fashion photographers not hire assistants who dont use the same camera as the ones they use? :cry:
It's not the camera, it's the brain operating it. Major campaigns have been shot on $30 Holgas. You just need control of the device, an understanding of light, and a good idea of how you want to capture what is in front of you.

It's not the camera, it's the brain operating it. Major campaigns have been shot on $30 Holgas. You just need control of the device, an understanding of light, and a good idea of how you want to capture what is in front of you.
wow!may i know which campaign youre referring to? :flower:

He's not talking about any specific campaign, although there have been some, I've heard. I can't name them, myself. But ... it is well known that Holga's have been used by some of the top photographers for various purposes including campaigns.

The point(and the topic here) is ... it's they skill and eye of the shooter that makes something special ... not the equipment. There are thousands of heavily equiped photographers, with lots and lots of expensive lenses and cameras in the world, but they still fail to produce anything that is unique or special. Hoga's are just another tool to get certain effects into the image ... and it just happens to be a cheap one.

If you are interested in the Holga, we have a thread: Holga / Lomographic Cameras & Photography Perhaps someone has mentioned some campaigns done with a Holga in in this thread.

He's not talking about any specific campaign, although there have been some, I've heard. I can't name them, myself. But ... it is well known that Holga's have been used by some of the top photographers for various purposes including campaigns.

The point(and the topic here) is ... it's they skill and eye of the shooter that makes something special ... not the equipment. There are thousands of heavily equiped photographers, with lots and lots of expensive lenses and cameras in the world, but they still fail to produce anything that is unique or special. Hoga's are just another tool to get certain effects into the image ... and it just happens to be a cheap one.

If you are interested in the Holga, we have a thread: Holga / Lomographic Cameras & Photography Perhaps someone has mentioned some campaigns done with a Holga in in this thread.

i couldn't agree more because i've seen it myself..

thanks for the link.^_^
i use a film camera right now but i will check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->