All About Becoming a Fashion Photographer

The one I was thinking of was Amy Arbus, who shot (if I remember correctly) a Dolce & Gabbana campaign with a Holga.

dahse,

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Let me direct you to the appropriate threads and I've moved your posts to them.

For your information about a photography course in NY: All About Fashion Photography Schools

For your questions about lenses: Photography Tech Talk ... Gear, Lighting, Studios, Resources, Etc. See Post#1.

Just might be of interest to you: Discussion: Shooting & Retouching Techniques for Professional Photographers

There are numerous othe threads of interest to both aspiring and pro fashion photographers ... just use the "Search this Forum" tool on the page that lists the threads in this forum, use keywords: photographer, photographers, photography ... and search t thread titles only and you should find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
BetteT - thank you so much for facilitating, these links are awesome

also, i was wondering about photo agencies...what are the advantages of being placed with one? any cons? and if so, do they approach you or should you approach them?

kelsea, as a photographer, getting a rep is not an easy task. You already need to be pretty well established and in the major markets, usually billing at least(or close to) 6 figures. Pros- they can help market you and put your work in front of potential clients that you might not otherwise get to. Cons- sometimes you may feel like they don't market or push your work enough. Especially if they have a big list of photographers that they rep already. Check out http://www.fashionphotographyblog.com and I'm pretty sure Melissa has a post on there somewhere about agents/reps.

might be wrong thread, but i've been working on my portofolio for the past two years, hoping to make a living as a photographer. i've had a few photos published and exhibited, but haven't really earned any money. im printing a book (about 50-75 pages) in january, and plan to ship it around to magazines etc. im 18 and moving to paris or london next august, but im not sure whether its a good idea actually studying photography.. it would be expensive (from around 15k - 50k) and all my favourite photographers are self-learned.. some of my work can be viewed at here . input appreciated.

oh, and i solely shoot with various film formats... would this be a problem for most magazines? i do know that id, dazed & jalouse tend to go with film ed's..

If you want share and/o get feedback on your work, there is a thread for that in "Behind the Lens" and we suggest that you post images rather than a link ... more likely to get noticed: tFS Fashion Photographers - Share Your Work. Before Posting, please read Post #1

And since I did a search for anything photographer career related, I thought I'd post the results for anyone who wants to learn more about some specific areas for beginning photographers. Things like marketing yourself, sending portfolios out, submitting to magazines, discussing gear and techniques, etc. .... we have almost 20 threads, here: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/search.php?searchid=18422367

Hi everyone,

I'm new to TFS but I've been haunting the forums for quite a while now. I'm looking to do more fashion photography, and I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice so far, especially BetteT's. It's been really helpful.

I really love some of the young fashion photography talent that I've seen on Flickr -- Nirrimi, who shot the most recent Diesel campaign (the photos of models wearing lingerie inside a law school library), is really wonderful, and so are David Urbanke, Michael Bailey-Gates, etc. I love that look -- it's definitely not a "studio" look; it's more "indie," if you will, but it conveys a sense of fashionable youthfulness that is really interesting.

The school I attend (RIT) has an amazing photography program. I am in the process of changing majors and was thinking of studying photography. I've always loved taking photos, being behind the camera, directing my friends into poses, picking out garments for models to wear, capturing a beautiful image, etc. I know I want to end up in the fashion magazine business but not as a journalist (I've already tried it and hated it) so I suppose photography is my next best option, right? Any suggestions for honing my skills?

The school I attend (RIT) has an amazing photography program. I am in the process of changing majors and was thinking of studying photography. I've always loved taking photos, being behind the camera, directing my friends into poses, picking out garments for models to wear, capturing a beautiful image, etc. I know I want to end up in the fashion magazine business but not as a journalist (I've already tried it and hated it) so I suppose photography is my next best option, right? Any suggestions for honing my skills?

This is the same advice I give any young artist trying to figure out what to study: business. Get a business degree, because you can't be an artist without knowing about business. You can intern with studios and take art classes all you want, but the main thing you have to know about as an artist is business. Then study anything else but art. Get an anthropology degree, a classics degree, a philosophy degree, whatever interests you, but don't spend 4 years studying Photography because there isn't 4 years worth of material they can teach you about photography. I can teach an intern more about capturing images in an afternoon that most schools will teach them in a year. Command of your tools comes from practice and experience, and ten assignments a semester won't get you there. Think broadly about what will make you a complete artist, rather than what will train you in a specific discipline.

This is the same advice I give any young artist trying to figure out what to study: business. Get a business degree, because you can't be an artist without knowing about business. You can intern with studios and take art classes all you want, but the main thing you have to know about as an artist is business. Then study anything else but art. Get an anthropology degree, a classics degree, a philosophy degree, whatever interests you, but don't spend 4 years studying Photography because there isn't 4 years worth of material they can teach you about photography. I can teach an intern more about capturing images in an afternoon that most schools will teach them in a year. Command of your tools comes from practice and experience, and ten assignments a semester won't get you there. Think broadly about what will make you a complete artist, rather than what will train you in a specific discipline.

Thank you so much for your advice. However, I still think I am going to major in photography. I understand completely what your point is but I would really like to study this. It may not seem practical to some people but thats okay, I figure if I am happy then thats all that matters. I am definitely going to take business classes though, this way I know how to properly manage my funds. :flower:

Hi everyone, thanks for the wealth of information...

Can anyone comment on the best approach to getting in touch with modeling agencies (i'm in NY) to start testing their new faces? Maybe personal experiences on how you went about it, also who the decision maker is and whom to ask for (i.e. what is their typical title, or is it the individual agent who selects the photographer)?

Second, what are standard rates one would charge, or if you should expect to do it for free.

I have a book with some tests already which I want to show the relevant people, I just don't know how to take the next step.

Thanks!!!

Just call an agency and ask for the person who handles new faces.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was that simple. So I take it they generally are keen to meet with new photographers, and its not a "geez, not another one" attitude? Beyond book quality, anything else that would help leave a good impression? I just like to be prepared before making a crucial first impression.
Thanks again!

I'ts that simple, if they like your book, if it looks like you have a strong team (makeup, styling, etc.) and can make their models look the way they like their models to look. They won't be looking for highly dramatic and/or editorial stuff ... they will want more basic model test stuff ... more natural, simple wardrobe, they want to see the models and how you can get something from them in the shots.

They will probably not let you charge the model in the beginning ... they will want to find out how well you work them and what kind of shots you send back. So it becomes a creative test ... for all of your portfolios together.

Once you become one of their favoured photogs on their list that they recommend to their models, the prices you charge are actully minimal ... way below a regular rate. Probably around $100 per look ... 3 or 4 looks per session. Plus makeup/hiar and styling (stylists are not always used for tests, but it can add something special, if the model chooses to use one ... if they are good at test shoots, some stylist are not).

Call the agency first and ask them if you can drop by to show them your book and that you are looking for a few new faces to do some creatives. They might just ask you to send them a link to your work, so then you will want to follow up with them after that, to find out if they are considering sending you some models or not.

You can't be choosy in the beginning while they are trying you out and not letting you charge. They may give you a few comp cards and you will be told to choose from those models. But, if that model gets a call, she will be told to cancel you and they might or might not replace her with someone else. Accept it gracefully ... you want to stay in their good graces.

Also, when they send you a model to use in a test shoot ... make sure that you get some good shots for her portfolio, before you run off and do something highly editorial or experimental. So, ask the agent what type of shots the model needs, and make sure you provide a few nice choices for the agent. If you don't, and just send them your creative shots that they can't use ... they won't send you any more models. It has to be a win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:
BetteT - thank you so much for that detailed response, exactly what I needed!! I have an 11x14 portfolio en route, and as soon as it arrives I'll be ready to start making calls.
Thanks again!!

BetteT hit one point that I think people very often overlook when testing with agency models. As a photographer, what you need in your book to further your career is not the same thing that a model needs in theirs. You should definitely give them something they can use, but also get something you can out of a test as well. But if you don't give the agency something they're gonna like, it's going to be tough to stay on their good graces and continue to get models(especially better ones) to work with. It's kind of a political process. You want the bookers to like you.

Another thing not too often mentioned is style and consistency. A booker is going to want to know what they're going to get when they send a model to you. Especially if you're going for paid tests. They're going to want to see that you have a signature style that is distinctly you, and they have to know that they're going to get good images that they can use every time.

Not having much luck making any cash from all the hard work and time spent at fashion week.

Any suggestions about what do with this type of photography? I do get hired from time to time by designers to shoot for them but would like to have some outside sales.

Of course maybe I am just fooling myself about the quality/marketablity of these images.

Thanks

Mark

I don't see a problem with the quality but I do see a problem with marketability. There may be the occasional magazine that will use images like this to illustrate a story about LFW but most fashion mags want to focus on the designs themselves.

BTW, I feel your pain about not being hired enough. :cry:

I want to be an international catwalk photog... but how??

This might be an age old question (at least one of many), but I want to be one of those photog's who travel the world (preferably sent by an agency) and shoots the big and little catwalks. I've done a few now and have seen a good number of old, disgruntled grumpy dudes who I'd gladly swap places with!

Getting tired of taking leave from the 'day job' to do this when it could be 'the job' ... maybe.... :shock: ...? or maybe I'm too old now :doh: (ie have cracked 30) :cry:

I've shot for blogs and websites and small magazines/ papers but have no idea what to do next to make this a proper career. Do I have to be rude and just push my way in and be that bastard who stands on his box in front of everyone after we've all set up only to shrug shoulders?

I guess I'm looking for some pointers as really, I have no clue what to do now :huh:

see below for examples of my work from NY, Sydney, NZ and now London...

thanks for reading my little rant :ninja:

doug

Lako Bukia - London
LakoBukiaEND.jpg

Alex Perry - Sydney
alexperry.jpg

Heatherette - New York
IMG_6259sml.jpg

Billabong - Sydney
billabong09.jpg

In the Pit - New York
in-the-pit.jpg

wow I love ur catwalk photography! awesome work very different fromw hat we are used to seeing. I guess one way in which you can do that is by sending ur pics to different magazines including the online ones, newspapers also buy pics though that is a very competitive way which is why you must ensure that theres something unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->