Becoming Karl Lagerfeld (Disney+)

blueorchid

you soft and only
Reaction score
Are we ready for another biographical fashion mini-series this year?

the exact same music used in the house of gucci trailer... i'm really having trouble telling all these sh*tty mini-series and fashion 'films' apart

Let Debbie Harry earn her royalties, ok. She must have a chokehold on music supervisors around the world.

You know what? At least it's not Jared Leto, as was originally cast. I might watch (though I said I'd watch the Dior/Chanel show on Apple and the Balenciaga show, yet still haven't seen a moment of either)

@KoV I'm almost positive the Jared Leto project is a different one. (Unfortunately)

• Angry
Reactions: KoV
I'm trying to watch the first episode right now... definitely not as good as Balenciaga, but not as bad as The New Look. It's very... Halston x Saint Laurent. So far, it's kind of funny how they have Karl being constantly haunted by YSL, which doesn't seem... truthful. Not to mention the production committed one of my pet peeves, fake magazine issues!!!!

I'm still stuck in like minute 22:00.. I'm moving slowly and thinking that I'm really not interested in designers' lives, it's just not that interesting, it always unfolds like these 22 minutes so far: men being horny for each other, snobby and making it sound like they're competing for the Nobel Prize and like 'it's fashion, not everyone would get it', repeat several times.

I'm shook by the weird factual error in Episode 2... where Marlene Dietrich rips Karl a new one for designing her an ugly outfit. According to everything I've read.. it was a wardrobe malfunction (nothing to do with anything Karl designed) and Helmut Newton being horny ("the legs are still great!!!") that ruined Marlene's appetite for a photoshoot for Vogue Paris.

Finished it this morning. Wow. What a mess. I started to get into its fantasyland/fanfiction reimagining of the facts by the end of episode three, though.

^ the entire series?!!? what the. I just finished ep 1 as I was eating breakfast haha, and I'll probably have more questions for you but.. did these two (Yves and Karl) seriously date?? where have I been...

The costume department did a good job, overall... but I'm not sure about the prop department and their fake (ugly) Vogue covers.

I enjoyed the series. I've only read Alicia Drake's book years ago but don't really remember much or thought about it afterwards. Loved when YSL was on screen, a truly hot mess. It's more entertaining than The New Look and I'm sort of crushing Daniel Bruhl. The scene where Karl basically inhaled that cake with tears in his eyes was so campy lol.

Looks like one of the other Karl Lagerfeld biographers thought the show was trash. Honestly, he ain't wrong. His book was good. However, the book the series is based on isn't bad, it's the liberties and fake storylines the writers made up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->