Best Revolutions And Trends Of The Last 10 Years

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
1. Independence in fashion
2. Deconstruction. Though was not introduced in the last 10 years but its become a full-on phenomena,thanks to Kawakubo. The Belgians took it upon themselves to show by dissecting things as a concept of showing the inside,like showing hidden emotions.
3. Which brings me to that-The surgence of Belgian designers who I believe changed the face of fashion as it has become nowadays amongst indie designers. Craft,Creativity and Soul :wink:
4. Anti-fashion. Personality has become such an incredible force of innovation now. No more,is it solely about showing your wealth and status through what you wear but about expression.

Deconstruction
Fashion as art, art as fashion
Expression trhew fashion (politics, emotions etc.)
Emergence of anti corperate designers

Most definetly FASHION AS ART! :woot: :heart: ..individuality and the anti-conglomerate designers. :flower:

I find it funny that the Worst of the 10 Years thread has almost 20 replies now while this one still has only two! I guess we're a big bunch of negative people! :lol:

I think one of the most positive things to develop in the last 10 years is the evolution of the mix. Mixing Chanel with thrift store. Balenciaga with Vuitton. Raf Simons with Gucci. Hermes with KMart. People have learned to appreciate something beautiful no matter where it comes from. Every young person I know mixes their clothes in new and exciting ways. No one drops $5000 at Prada anymore on a total look. But people do buy a $1200 Prada bag, then wear it with a $300 Obesity and Speed sweatshirt, and $10 Salvation Army boots. I love the post-modern mix and the individual looks that come from it. It truly takes a look off the runway and makes it personal.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Nov 28th, 2003 - 5:21 pm
I find it funny that the Worst of the 10 Years thread has almost 20 replies now while this one still has only two! I guess we're a big bunch of negative people! :lol:

you are right chick, still could this be mainly due to the fact that is easier to put down the negative/annoying trends points than the positive trends during those last years?

not ready to post my opinion here, yet i seriously do not consider us a negative bunch :flower:

btw, what in the world does :blink: A.R.M.A.N.I. has to do with deconstuction dear prince?
:wacko:

Armani invented deconstructed tailoring. He was the founder, pioneer and proponent of the movement 'A.R.M.A.N.I.' has nothing to do with it but it made you look....

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 28th, 2003 - 12:19 pm
not ready to post my opinion here, yet i seriously do not consider us a negative bunch :flower:
I certainly do not either. I just thought it was funny to see the difference in the two threads' popularity. Sorry if my comment wasn't clear. :flower:

I don't think I would agree with you prince*. Actually,I believe it was Yohji Yamamoto who introduced us to the dissection of tailoring. And afterward we had Ann Demeulemeester. And deconstruction,btw,on the Belgian front wasn't influenced by the Japanese at all,I come to find out but the traditions of the Flemish craftsmen of the past.

Chicks*I think it was because there was SO MUCH nonsense during these years that its much easier to acknowledege them all than the revolutions because in retrospect,there wasn't as many.

And I must add one more item that I've seen just in the last two years which might contradict my earlier opinions. Like with the mainstream,avant garde I'm beginning to realize has become a term for nothing more than a commodity or a passing trend of late. That's why you see so many designers right now that instead of creating this powerful revolution or resorting to the mainstream they're keeping their work extremely personal. And in all honesty,this is probably the best thing to arise these days....not looking to a particular movement or trend.

You're entitled to your opinion of course :flower: I merely said Armani because if you ever read a book on Armani he is always credited as the father of deconstructed tailoring. Armani is nine years older than Yamamoto as well.

:blink: i'm so sorry - not as a matter of oponion but as a clear fact- but Armani has absolutely nothing to do with decontruction dear Prince, honestly, he's on a completly different level :ninja:

No, I'm sorry. I disagree. Who was the first designer to remove suit linings?

Originally posted by The Royal Academy
section will explore the pivotal impact of Armani's designs on the modern, androgynous look, presenting the designer's groundbreaking deconstructed jacket

That jacket was created nearly twenty-five years ago. Yamamoto first exhibited in Paris in 1981.

:lol: removing suit linings is NOT considered deconstraction dear Prince.. why should it? most mass production labels never used full lining due to the extra cost :rolleyes:

deconstruction has to do with deconstructing the form of the garments and it's basically a japanese thing, followed up by the belgian school B)

I meant padding not lining. Where I live Armani is considered the founder of deconstruction and the Japanese/Belgian style is called 'minimalism'.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 28th, 2003 - 1:58 pm
Enough of this anyway....I think you're wrong, the Royal Academy thinks you're wrong, the Guggenheim and these two sites think you're wrong:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/books/stylebook.shtml
http://slate.msn.com/id/1006347/

(picked from large list)

You're choice but you won't change what I think.
n 1974, the year he made his debut as an independent designer, he deconstructed the suit jacket. He yanked out the shoulder pads and the lining and put the slouch back into menswear, which had grown quite stiff and confining over the past 20 years. In so doing, he helped to bridge the gap between denim-clad members of the counterculture and the stuffy

You're choice but you won't change what I think.

dear Prince dont get so upset about this, i dont want to change the way you think believe me, but when we talk deconstruction we NEVER think of Armani , honestly.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 28th, 2003 - 1:53 pm
I meant padding not lining. Where I live Armani is considered the founder of deconstruction and the Japanese/Belgian style is called 'minimalism'.
minimalism?! :blink:

No way! I think you might have that backwards. Although some of them played with the idea,the work of the Japanese and Belgians are so much more intricate and craft-oriented. You don't believe me then take a look at some of their work on closer inspection. And there is more to Belgian and Japanese fashion than Ann D. and Yohji. Deconstruction is synonymous with the two nationalities. Armani is the one whose work is plain and stark,imo.

When I think deconstruction,I think craftsmanship and detail. It wasn't just about pulling things apart just for the sake of it.

And we're not ganging up on you nor your opinions but like Lena said,we don't think Armani when talking deconstruction. In fact, I thought it was the Italians,like Armani,who re-introduced the trend of minimalism in the early 90's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->