Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

I am infatuated with their descriptions on their site. These have interested me, but I am no perfume connoseiur (sp) I don't like anything too sweet or citrus-y. I prefer spicy scents or musky ones or light scents. Any suggestions on the following?

ANTIQUE LACE
BLACK OPAL
EMPYREAL MIST
INCANTATION
NAMASTE
SÉANCE
WHITE RABBIT
LADY MACBETH
PARIS
BLACK LILY
AVE MARIA GRATIA PLENA
HUNGER
MAIDEN
JAZZ FUNERAL
SHROUD
INFERNO

:flower: :flower:

These oils sounds very interesting. Once applied, about how long do you find the scent lasts?

Ugh! Help me please! I'm completely overwhelmed by the horribly extensive selection of BPAL scents! Would someone be kind enough to recommend some things? I would like to get imps for myself and my husband.

Normally, I wear Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle or Kiehl's Original Musk Oil. I LOVE musk oils, combined with floral and/or citrus, but not a whole lot of spice like patchouli. I like something heady that at the same time smells fresh and clean (the floral and/or citrus), but is just ever so sweet to be slightly cloying (the musk), but definitely not sickly, candy sweet; too sweet would be bad.

For my husband, Armani's Aqua Gio smells great! It's a clean, very non-spicy scent and I'd love something similar for him.

Recommendations? Thanks!!

I'm curious, there are a bunch listed on ebay with the majority being opened...I've always assumed once opened, used, you shouldn't buy them. Even the majority of new ones listed have been "sniffed" so will that diminish their potency, expiration?

ladybug: sorry but I haven't tried any of those you listed, I'm quite new to it all myself and there are so many to try... I just went for it with my first order, and got what I thought sounded like the right thing for me. But reading the scent reviews on the forum bpal.org really helps (although it is quite addictive and time-consuming :smile:) Regarding the ebay question, I'm not sure I can be of much help there either, because I still haven't bought any off ebay. I do know however, that alot of bpal collectors do buy/sell opened bottles and imps, not only from ebay, but also by arranging swaps, sales etc. via the bpal forum. So I suppose it's not much of a problem if so many people do it... (although, yeah, that's not an entirely reassuring argument. I thought the same as you, and still haven't tried buying anything opened :unsure:)

Umm Zain: have you tried doing a search on the website? you can search the notes you like the best, and it will give a list of scents containing that note. Also, there is a Recommendations section on the bpal forum bpal.org, which might be helpful, if you haven't already tried checking that out. Of the limited amount that I have tried, I would personally recommend Dorian (amazing), Harlot, Penthus (the last two if you like rose), Eden, Sea of Glass, Veil, Scherezade (red musk)... Dragon's Blood smelled like lilacs on me, which was very pretty. Embalming Fluid might be a light clean musk scent that you'd like, although I have yet to try it myself too :blush:
I guess it's all trial and error, because some things really don't work on some people. The same goes for the lasting and "throw" of the scent. Some fade really quickly on me, or can only be smelt up close, while I've read on the forum that they are long lasting on others... I guess that also has something to do with your skin type/chemistry.

hmm... that's the best I can do to help you guys...

I think I'm going to get Smut 2007 in my next order, because I've learned to really love red musk, and it sounds soo good! and then I 'need' to try some more General Catalogue scents, because I still don't know how alot of things smell like (for example myrrh? orris? poppy? orchid? :blink:) and I figure knowing better what works for me will also help me chose which Limited Editions and Carnivale Diabolique bottles I should get in the future ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
_ladybug_ said:
Any suggestions on the following?

ANTIQUE LACE
WHITE RABBIT
_ladybug_
The first one I think you can no longer get ?
I have the other one.. it's not very memorable.. light clean sweet if I remember correctly..

my absolute favourites are the milky, almondy . . honeyish scents~! :heart:

*O !
dorian
dana o'shee
bastet
blood kiss
chimera
dragon's milk
eclipse

i think the oils bring a warmth to these scents (amber like quality) that you don't quite get from perfume . .

i really love Morocco... it's like a better version of Dior Addict - soft, sweet, and spicy. i need to get a full bottle of it, along with Somnus (it really helps me sleep.:smile:).

Hi everyone,
Well, I placed a BPAL order and got it on Friday. This was my order:

BLACK FOREST
LURID
SCHEREZADE
BATHSHEBA
NOSFERATU
VILLAIN (for my husband)
MOROCCO
LYONESSE
DRAGON'S MUSK
BASTET
COYOTE
SOPHIA

They threw in a few FRIMPS too!

From an eBay seller I ordered a bottle of Embalming Fluid and was very kind to throw in three FRIMPS as well. So, I've started my collection off very nicely for now. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is that I'm finding some of them to be a bit like incense on me (except for the Embalming Fluid which turned very gingery), but I have yet to work my way through all twelve IMPS and the FRIMPS. Half the fun too is the experimentation and the anticipation! I've enjoyed the experience as a whole. I think tonight I'll try Lurid!

Bastet didn't work very well on me :(
How did you find Coyote? and Dragon's Musk?? Dragon's Musk is in my pending order and I'm pretty excited to try it :D

I found both on the Lab's site. I loved Dragon's Musk wet in the bottle, but on my skin, on the drydown, it started to smell like incense. Now, I do have to say that I put waaayyy too much on I think, so go easy at first. I haven't tried the Coyote yet (maybe I'll do that one today), but in the bottle, it's very grassey and unusual (I like it). Here are the selections I made and the categories from which they originate on the BPAL site:

Bewitching Brews
BLACK FOREST
LURID
SCHEREZADE

Love Potions
BATHSHEBA

Diabolous
NOSFERATU
VILLAIN (for my husband)

Wanderlust
MOROCCO
LYONESSE

Ars Draconis
DRAGON'S MUSK

Excolo
BASTET
COYOTE
SOPHIA

^^ i LOVE both coyote and morocco. morocco is just warm and spicy - coyote is warm and grassy. they're both very comforting scents. :heart:

Bump :smile: I hardly wear any other perfume since I started collecting these. When they "work" they are just gorgeous and I don't mind not having one single signature perfume. I think my "signature" has become wearing teh BPAL ^_^ Today I am wearing Hope and Faith, the Siamese twins. Sugared rose and sugared violet, respectively. Yum!

Browneyes said:
Bump :smile: I hardly wear any other perfume since I started collecting these. When they "work" they are just gorgeous and I don't mind not having one single signature perfume. I think my "signature" has become wearing teh BPAL ^_^ Today I am wearing Hope and Faith, the Siamese twins. Sugared rose and sugared violet, respectively. Yum!
I love the sugared rose one too:woot:
I have been wearing pretty much every day either Smut, Dolce Stil Nuevo or Kanishta until my other oils I ordered roll up:P

I've been wearing Hexannacht (i found some on ebay:wink:) when i go out at night and either Morocco, Coyote, or Midnight on the Midway during the day. i guess it all just depends on my mood.

Sugared rose and sugared violet sound beautiful... are they still available? i really love Midnight on the Midway, which is sugared incense - it's a really interesting scent because it starts out smelling sweet - a bit like 'Flowerbomb' and ends up very smoky. i love it! i'd imagine Hope and Faith wearing a bit similarly....

ragtag said:
I've been wearing Hexannacht (i found some on ebay:wink:) when i go out at night and either Morocco, Coyote, or Midnight on the Midway during the day. i guess it all just depends on my mood.

Sugared rose and sugared violet sound beautiful... are they still available? i really love Midnight on the Midway, which is sugared incense - it's a really interesting scent because it starts out smelling sweet - a bit like 'Flowerbomb' and ends up very smoky. i love it! i'd imagine Hope and Faith wearing a bit similarly....

Yep Hope and Faith are still available under the Carnivale Diabolique section! They are lovely: soft powdery sugared florals :heart:
You were lucky to get some Hexennacht! I would love to try that one some day... sigh. I am kind of hoping (and praying) that it might be released again sometime. I am in the mood to wear Saturnalia alot these days, I have discovered a love for vetiver ^_^

Port Royal

In the bottle it's a very spicy, woody scent. It makes me think of an antique cigar box or an old shop. Salty too.

Wet, on my skin, it's almost smokey, the wood is richer but more subtle and I detect undertones of cedar. Floral (the prostitute's perfume?) is a bit more prominent here. The drydown is very sharp. Soapy aquatics with a smattering of rum. A hazy, lazy, salty seadog scent.

Alice

The initial scent in the bottle was a sweet (almost cotton candy sweet) scent the melted into a honeyed flora. There are undertones of milk but nothing too sharp.

On my skin the scent is a bit musty--a bit like an old bookshop, that dries into a waft of sweet baby power. Not bad, but it smells entirely different in the bottle.

--

I have four samples I need to work through and then I'll post 'em up. I really want to try White Rabbit, Pool of Tears, The Dormouse... frankly all the Mad Tea Party ones. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->