Bob Dylan Tries to Halt Factory Girl Movie

susie_bubble said:
Ignoring all the juicy discussion about beauty and intelligence, thank you Dylan for halting what quite possibly will be the biggest turkey of the year..... seriously....this film has turkey written all over it.......
'improvement for Oscars' - please....... let's not but actually seeing what the Academy has been picking out the last few years, I might not keel over in surprise if this gets in the running.

I hope the academy just disbands. It is a ridiculous, ridiculous institution that doesn't know good from bad or hell, even great from atrocious.

But yes, this film does seem to be an atrocious way of spending two hours. But that is what you get when you base an entire film on a useless bimbette who thrived in a very pseudo scene.

mellowdrama said:
Ten of us with $12 apiece could throw a more interesting house party than going to see some crap movie about a time none of us remember, anyway. The guacamole dip you could make with $120 would be scandalous.

:lol: Word. I would much rather eat guacamole with my buddies than throw $12 in the trash (basically)

Honestly I dont see a reason for Bob Dylan to sue, but I am glad he is doing it if it makes this movie go away.

I saw the film (free) in some research screening, with questionnaires and all that jazz.

it was the suck. You will regret seeing it if you do... (if it ever gets released that is)...I regret seeing it, and I didnt even pay for it.

iluvjeisa said:
... I never thought Sienna had an ounce of the Edie flair anyway.

Amen, sister.

SiennaInLondon said:
...And he was very very apolitical. Other than one or two songs, most famously Hurricane, he did not engage in anything. He was not a supporter of the anti-Vietnam movement at all. The fact that he is so associated with the protest generation frustrates me because there are people who did far more for civil rights that he did. He does not deserve the label.

I guess you never heard his first four albums, which included songs like The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, Masters of War, Motorpsycho Nightmare, Blowin in the Wind, A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall, The Times They Are A Changin', With God On Our Side and a few others...

... but don't think twice, it's alright. :wink:

tangerine said:
I guess you never heard his first four albums, which included songs like The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, Masters of War, Motorpsycho Nightmare, Blowin in the Wind, A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall, The Times They Are A Changin', With God On Our Side and a few others...

... but don't think twice, it's alright. :wink:

And I guess you haven't spent much time as a Dylanologist :innocent: listening to his interviews, his tapes, his comments on Vietnam, on politics, on protest singing and on the Middle East. Much of my ipod is full of Dylan speaking and he is often contrary, rude and dismissive of the generation he is seen to lead. This is not a comment on his art, but a comment on aspects of his iconisation.

Dylan is seen as untouchable for many reasons OTHER than his songwriting. The 60s are, which for reasons I could expand on but won't, imbued with a great degree of false myth. It is a stark contrast to the 80s, when many many excellent artists emerged but are overlooked because of the sillyness of the culture they had to work in.

^ copying our last exchange to the Dylan thread in Art of Noise, where I have posted a reply. :smile:

SiennaInLondon said:
I hope the academy just disbands. It is a ridiculous, ridiculous institution that doesn't know good from bad or hell, even great from atrocious.

But yes, this film does seem to be an atrocious way of spending two hours. But that is what you get when you base an entire film on a useless bimbette who thrived in a very pseudo scene.

Karma darling!

SiennaInLondon said:
The 60s are, which for reasons I could expand on but won't, imbued with a great degree of false myth. It is a stark contrast to the 80s, when many many excellent artists emerged but are overlooked because of the sillyness of the culture they had to work in.

this is so true...karma :flower:

Ya know, I just saw this thread and had to say something about old Bob. While the Danny Quinn character is obviously a bad Bob Dylan impression, I can almost see why Bob wants this movie to be stopped. If anyone read any Edie bios, Dylan wasn't really that big a part of her life. I think it was more of a build up in Edie's own mind that she would be a part of Dylan's crowd and leave The Factory for more mainstream success. For whatever reason, that didn't pan out. I tend to think Dylan & Neurwirth (Bob's best friend at the time and Edie's boyfriend) did lead her on a bit because they didn't like The Factory scene. They found it decadent and shallow. I think Edie would've been a casuality in any life really. Her drug use wasn't anyone fault. She medicated herself long before Warhol or Dylan entered her life. I love the fact that the release of this movie has brought about the release of new Edie pictures & books which were really long overdue but, the movie itself looks to be total fiction. I think Edie crammed a whole lot of life into her short 28 years on this planet and she really did accomplish something with her life. She became famous for being famous which might not be alot to some people but, this was way before publicity machines, media hype & reality shows. In fact, Warhol's films were basically the beginning of reality filmed for entertainment. She basically became famous for her lifestyle & charm which I think speaks volume about her as a person. We all have our problems and addictions and Edie was more than happy not to hide those things in a time when hiding bad things about oneself was the norm. I think that should be commended to a degree. She really did live her life exactly how she wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't find Sienna interesting at all, her acting doesn't enthuse me what so ever and I was pretty disheartened by her being cast in this role. Also the "Oscar buzz" surrounding it makes me want to vomit, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was nominated for any number of awards.

I was just about to agree with the face that I am not very interesting at all! :P Ah egotism....

The movie is getting bad reviews so far but Sienna's performance is often singled out as great - not that this will change people's view of her here...

But it looks like Dylan's threat influenced the final cut of the movie, they apparently made some changes over the past weeks.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

A work-in-progress version that the Weinstein Co. screened only weeks ago had a rawer, more immediate power than the final cut. [...] Some of the changes might have to do with Bob Dylan's objections to the original script and threatened legal action. [...]
Coyly unnamed in the film, the famous, scruffy musician who temporarily draws Edie out of the Warhol orbit is clearly based on Dylan. If anything, though, the character, played by a charismatic Hayden Christensen, comes across as the sole voice of reason in Sedgwick's increasingly out-of-control life.

Full review:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film/reviews/article_display.jsp?

So it looks like they dropped the name altogether?

see, I really did not think anything of this feilm, until all this crazy controversy began..now i feel like I got to see it to understand what people are taling about ;-)

January 2, 2007 -- BOB Dylan and his lawyers - upset that the upcoming "Factory Girl" will blame him for Edie Sedgwick's early death by overdose - might think twice before suing the movie's producers for defamation.

The Weinstein Company has evidence - videotaped testimony by her brother, Jonathan Sedgwick - that Edie was madly in love with Dylan, and that she was never the same after she aborted his baby and he broke up with her.

Dylan's lawyer, Orin Snyder, sent a threatening letter earlier this month demanding to see the movie before it is released, or even screened, to determine if it defames his client.

According to the Edie Sedgwick entry in "The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia" by Michael Gray, "There's no evidence - and no real grounds to suppose - that Dylan and Edie had any personal relationship at all, let alone a significant one.

"She comes into the Dylan equation only because people used to believe that she is the girl whispering in Dylan's ear in a photograph on the foldout sleeve of the original 'Blonde on Blonde' double LP and because of a persistent hunch by many people that . . . she was the 'blonde on blonde.' "

But that's not what Jonathan Sedgwick told the producers of the picture, which stars Sienna Miller as Edie, Guy Pearce as Andy Warhol and Hayden Christensen as a folk-singer who performs in Dylan's trademark harmonica brace and fishing cap.

Jonathan says on the tape: "One day, she called me up, and she said, 'I've met someone.' She didn't tell me who it was, but, 'He's a folk singer. He's fabulously talented, and he's full of conviction' . . . Later on, Edie explained to me it was Bob Dylan.

"She told me she was totally in love with him . . . she also explained . . . she lost a child which she claims was Bob Dylan's child. She had gotten into an insane asylum, and she was so wacked out on drugs that they aborted her because the child would've been just strung out . . . she said that was the saddest moment of her life."

Jonathan said, "Her biggest joy was with Bob Dylan, and her saddest time was with Bob Dylan, losing the child. And Edie was changed by that experience, very much so."

http://www.nypost.com

wow.

I don't believe Jonathan Sedgwick has said that. The Sedgwicks have not brought things like that to public.

WhiteLinen said:
I don't believe Jonathan Sedgwick has said that. The Sedgwicks have not brought things like that to public.

I hate to report that Jonathan granted seven hours of videotaped interview to George Hickenlooper. We were not informed until AFTER he did so. Nothing Jonathan says is to be believed. To clarify, Edie was pregnant only once, years prior to her appearance on the Factory scene. You can hear her own words on the Edie: Girl on Fire CD that is in the back of the book. It was Bob Neuwirth, not Bob Dylan, that Edie was in love with... the Weinsteins are simply attempting to use Jonathan as a foil to parry Dylan's objections to Factory Girl.

Curiously, this just came out on Page Six today...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01032007/gossip/pagesix/dylan_devotion_pagesix_.htm

January 3, 2007 -- BOB Dylan might want to call off his lawyers now that the Weinstein Company has acquired the rights to "I'm Not There," the biopic of his life starring Cate Blanchett, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Michelle Williams and Julianne Moore. Dylan's lawyers were threatening to sue over that other Weinstein movie, "Factory Girl," claiming it unfairly depicts Dylan as responsible for breaking the heart of Edie Sedgwick, which led to her 1971 death by barbiturates. Harvey Weinstein, who obviously wants no feud with the folk legend, said, "Bob Dylan has lived an unbelievable and at times, an elusive life. He has countless fans who will now be able to really gain insight into his fascinating life."

Liberty Bell said:
Harvey Weinstein, who obviously wants no feud with the folk legend, said, "Bob Dylan has lived an unbelievable and at times, an elusive life. He has countless fans who will now be able to really gain insight into his fascinating life."

When I sing along with my favorite songs, it's about my life and how I identify my stories with the words and feeling of the music. I honestly don't care about who shagged who to inspire the song, unless of course it's me--and wouldn't you be flattered to have been the subject of "Like a Rolling Stone", horrible put-down though it is? But when I hear that song, I think about how that Miss Lonely reflects on my own life at that age. So, it becomes personal. Who Bob Dylan was singing about--even Bob Dylan himself--is secondary to the music itself.

I have lived with the ambitious and worked with the famous. It's an oxygen-deprived environment. I wish them all well, but we little folks gotta breathe, too. I don't care who Bob Dylan did or did not shag in 1965 or 2007. I just know that "Desolation Row" still makes me cry. I don't know who that spoon-fed Casanova really was to Dylan, but I've known everybody and every circumstance in that song in my own way.

There's a universality to Dylan's music like Shakespeare, that same understanding of human nature and motivation which is lacking in so much of the arts these days. Much of the feeling expressed in contemporary pop music and film is so overblown, infantile, and spoiled. I've heard so many minor key dirges about how bad someone makes the singer feel, but no sense of the bigger picture of relationships: no irony, no nuance, no poetry, no toughness, no humor, no distance. It's all crybaby, "You make me feel bad" rhyming couplets, everybody's swallowed up their newfound power of feeling unpretty emotions and expressing them. On the other hand, Dylan's paints an intriguing and complicated scene, and shows you how unclear and fascinating people really are. Nobody, no relationship, is all that simple.

I'm afraid the Factory Girl film will have the same simplistic, causal explanation for Edie Sedgwick's life that current pop music has--somebody made her feel bad, so she went and did bad drugs, and was around inexplicably one-dimensional-yet-thoroughly glamorous bad people. In my mind I can see countless Edie clones running in slow motion with their eyeliner dribbling down their teary, perfect tweeked-out faces in the 10,000 inspired-by music videos I hopefully will never have to suffer through. Her boyfriend broke up with her, and "she feels bad, she feels sad, she misses the bestus pal she ever had." (A paraphrase of Fats Waller singing "After You've Gone"--he had more of a sense of humor and irony about life in the 1930's, for God's sake! Where's the Fats Waller biopic? I'd pay to see that done right, Weinsteins!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markrokusek
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->