Body Oils for an All-Over Glow

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
Sometimes I see models/actresses with the most glistening skin. I used to think it was because of baby oil, but I think I'm wrong..

Does anybody here purchase body oils? Is baby oil just as effective? This piqued my interest when I saw a tidbit in my In Style magazine this morning (June '09 issue) on a piece about looking "Sexy in a Snap!":

1. Get an All-Over Glow
"Apply dry oil after you shower so that it will sink in before you dress," says designer Tom Ford. "There's nothing better than a pair of well-oiled legs with a slight shine."

The bit goes onto suggest Tom Ford Black Orchid Finishing Oil Spray or B&BW's Rice Dry Oil Spray.

Though the Bath & Body Works stuff will definitely not break the bank, does anybody have any more-affordable suggestions/ideas?

It's about time BBW got more dry oils-in the two years I worked there they didn't do any of that. The dry oil I am using right now is Sephora brand (Apple Pomegranate) although I do believe they are getting rid of those dry oils. I do admit to using an older Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil-it was the dual fusion style that had the orange half and the purple half, and it gives the skin a really nice glow AND moisturizes like crazy. I would also look and see if you can buy plain old monoi oil. It's good for hair AND body but it is oilier-but it works.

is this the one you're talking about?
ccc4_1.JPG

ebay.com
Hawaiian Tropic Fusion Blend FPS 4 moisturizing

so it's also a tanning spray, right?

i'd be careful with a lot of these oils.. a lot of them contain mineral oil.. baby oil is 100% mineral oil which is very bad for the body..

a little bit about mineral oil.. FYI..
Petroleum by-product that coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons). Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap. · Mineral oil · Liquidum paraffinum (also known as posh mineral oil!) · Paraffin oil · Paraffin wax · Petrolatum
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Ltoxiccosmetics.htm

another interesting article about mineral oil and its harmful effects..
http://www.justnaturalskincare.com/learnmore/thebadaboutmineraloil.html

this website has some good alternatives actually...all natural products..

here is a link to their body oil...
http://www.justnaturalskincare.com/9/serums/-body-oil.html

ingredients: Organic Avocado Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Kukui Nut Oil,
Walnut Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Essential Oils of
Geranium, Lavender and Pink Grapefruit, and
Vitamin E

much healthier! :heart: this stuff may be more expensive but it is completely worth it imo..

Last edited by a moderator:
Most baby oils here in Germany don't contain mineral oil or paraffin anymore. I'm almost sure it might be the same in the USA.

It isn't, at least not with the baby oil I find. I think I ever looked after someone on this forum mentioned that they use a baby oil that has better ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you adorefaith for posting that. Mineral oil is the devil. :ninja:

I like Neutrogena's body oil, dont remember the name of it, but I liked to mix it with The Body Shop's Shea Butter Lotion. Not too greasy, and some shimmer is left on the skin.

Clarins used to have an After-Sun Shimmer Lotion spray. It may no longer be in production, this was in 2000 it was released, but I just remembered that.

Korres bitter almond oil is a nice dry oil. Makes you smell of marzipan. Yum yum. And like Trista said monoi oil is good for shining, Hei Poa do a few. Some with SPF some with shimmery bits.
I don't know if they contain mineral oil though.

Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse, both original and with bronzing hint. They are my absolute favourite dry oils for the body and the scent is divine.

The Body Shop has some fantastic dry oils and they smell so yummy! <3 my fave was passionfruit i think.

The Body Shop's creams and dry oils make me itch all over. It's a shame, because they're so yummy :(

^Agreed!! I love the cocoa butter scent!

Have you tried Kiehl's Dry Oil? It's really hydrating, and it sinks just right in!

Yes, I tried Kiehl's..., its great. A also love Clarins body firming oil.

i'd be careful with a lot of these oils.. a lot of them contain mineral oil.. baby oil is 100% mineral oil which is very bad for the body..

not true

i been using a babyoil from a german drugstore (DM) and it doesn't have any mineral oil. this is the ingredient list:

Glycine Soja Oil, Ethylhexyl Steareate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate.

cheap at €1.02 (strange pricing on their behalf).

never tried dry oils, except for the Tom Ford, but seriously, it's summer and Black Orchid is simply TOO HEAVY for summer.

^ That depends on where you live. Here it's easier to find baby oil with mineral oil than without, at least in the supermarket and pharmacies. Even though, I checked the ingredients for the Burt's Bee's one my sister got as one of her baby shower presents, and that one has much better ingredients.

I find johnsons baby oil gel does the trick, used sparingly and rubbed in evenly. It moisturise the sking, but leaves it glowing and not all greasy.
Dry oils tend to just sit on the surface of my skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->