Brunette to Blonde

Well i went ahead with the advice of lots of thin highlights and im so happy with the result! The hairdresser couldn't getting it too much lighter as my hair was so dark but the roots are barely noticable now and in a few weeks i can go lighter again! Thanks alot! :flower:

I know you've already gotten your hair done, but there's a technique hair-dressers can use where they overlap different colours down the length of the hair in orrder to blend the roots with the ends. With this method you wouldn't have to colour your ends which are probably the most damaged part of your hair.

I am thinking of making a drastic change from dark brown to blonde hair for the spring/summer. Currently my hair is pretty dark and longish(middle of my back) My natural color is a medium brown but I have been dying it a few shades darker for a couple years now. Has anyone taken their hair from fairly dark to blonde. How long did it take and how damaging was it? Any input would be great. Thanks!!

It's possible. How dark would you say your hair is and how processed is it? It is best to work on virgin hair rather than hair that has been dyed.

You can do it yourself but I would really not advise this. Go to a good salon and ask. Your hair will need to be stripped, bleached and toned and this is a long process and could take a few trips to the salon. Just think, is it worth it, will you like it? Your hair will be dry and could break off and if you like your hairs length then also realise you may have to chop quite a bit of it off. Also, think about the upkeep...roots come in fast and it'll cost a fair bit to keep getting them dyed.

Well it is pretty processed I would guess I have been dying it for a couple years now..so I would imagine that they would have to lift a bit of color. I am also a little bit wary of all the upkeep and if roots are gonna drive me nuts. Anyone who has done this..are you glad you did?? DO you like the results or wish you hadn't??

I've gone back and forth for years...needless to say, I always get shine treatments and all that because my long hair is fried. There's no way around that, lightening hair = damage.

As my typical mode, I love it for awhile-having light hair. But I inevitably always freak out when it's first done- you look quite different. Just think Sheryll Crowe and some other big names that have gone blonde-some look great-and others look terrible.

I'm at the opposite end of things-looking forward to go back to a darker shade again. The only thing I can say is that if you have naturally ashy brown hair-don't expect to be able to dye it back. Once you lift the color from your hair, it will stay warm consistently-toner is just a temporary fix.

hope that helped a bit.

Thank you for your input! I do actually prefer darker hair for the most part..but I have been dark for sooo long I need a change. And I suppose spring is the perfect time. Hopefully I don't hate it :smile: I just went and got a consultation with my stylist and he said it will take 5 hours..yikes! But I am excited for a change. Anyone have any horror stories?

I am a natural brunette that keeps my hair blonde. Do foils, not all over colour. Do not try to do it at home considering your hair is already dyed- it could go orange or even green.
I keep a light brown low light in mine so I can go 8 weeks without a touchup without having disastrous roots. My hair is damaged but ever since I cut my hair to my collarbone its looking far better.
I used to dye my hair black and it took me 6 months to get back to blonde. I refused to strip my hair because I was afraid some of it would fall out. Instead I got highlights every 6 weeks until all of my colour was out. But if you're dark brown it should take less time. If you don't want to do 5 hours (which could be really harsh on your hair) maybe take the plunge over a few months- keep getting more and more highlights.
Have fun! Being blonde is soooo addictive.

DONT DO IT YOURSELF! Get it done professionally! Im currently going from dark brunette(natural) to a natural looking honey blonde. What my colorist is doing is putting on a base color a week before doing a full head of foils in 2 very similar shades. The base takes about 2 hours and my foils are going to take a minimum of 4 hours (and i have mid-length hair). Its a drastic change but its something i think all brunettes do at some point. Im so bored of the fact that veryone is dying their hair dark brown, so im doing the opposite! I dont like to look like such a sheep. Also just had a blunt fringe put in, instead of the popular but overdone current side fringe trend! DARE TO BE DIFFERENT! Good luck!

I dyed my boyfriends hair at home from midnight blue to platnium a couple of months ago and it actually worked out. Although we did get a lot of advice from our friend who is a hairstylist. I don't think I would try it on my hair though we only did his at home because if worst case we had to shave it off it wouldn't have been that big of a deal to him since he rocks a shaved head sometimes anyway. Do whatever you feel comfortable with but if you really like your long hair I think its better to be safe than sorry!

I've gone from dark brown to light blonde, and it wasn't a pretty process. First of all, it takes a couple times (even if you're doing it professional) to show up quite like you want it. I can't really tell you how much it'll damage your hair, because it's different for everyone, but get some professional advice. However, if you're set on going blonde be prepared for the aftermath or roots, touch up, and wanting to get rid of the color later on.

Okay so I started the process...it took five hours. Soo far my stylist has stripped my hair with a color corrector which took a couple applications. And then put on a lightener and a toner. I am going back for foils/all over highlights in a couple days. Currently I am not quite where I want to be. My all over color now is a light brown. The one thing I am not happy with is that is has a slightly orangish tone...which I suppose will be corrected when I go back in for the foils. My stylist said that my natural color has reddish tones warm tones which is why the color pulled slightly orange. Has anyone had this experience? He assured me once we do the foils all over it will be a nice natural honey blonde. Luckily because he opted not to use bleach (so far!) my hair is still fairly healthy just maybe slightly dryer. I just hope that the orangish shade goes away anyone know/have experience with this??

This might sound weird but you should get a blonde wig and put it on just to see how the color looks with your skin tone.

I think brown hair is prettier than blonde.well,my hair is black.

bella2121 said:
Okay so I started the process...it took five hours. Soo far my stylist has stripped my hair with a color corrector which took a couple applications. And then put on a lightener and a toner. I am going back for foils/all over highlights in a couple days. Currently I am not quite where I want to be. My all over color now is a light brown. The one thing I am not happy with is that is has a slightly orangish tone...which I suppose will be corrected when I go back in for the foils. My stylist said that my natural color has reddish tones warm tones which is why the color pulled slightly orange. Has anyone had this experience? He assured me once we do the foils all over it will be a nice natural honey blonde. Luckily because he opted not to use bleach (so far!) my hair is still fairly healthy just maybe slightly dryer. I just hope that the orangish shade goes away anyone know/have experience with this??

he s right, when u have red pigments the hair always comes out kinda orange, but with highlights it ll b gone.

i recently under went the brunette to blonde. it took about 4 hours. its not bright blonde at first but wil be getting gradually paler over the coming months but its still pretty blonde.
here are the before and after pics!

Attachments

• gem.jpg
    gem.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Copy of PHTO0178.JPG
    Copy of PHTO0178.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
bella2121 said:
I just hope that the orangish shade goes away anyone know/have experience with this??

I have the same kind of hair. I bleached it myself once while trying to go light red, and it went from brown-black to red, to a reddish blonde at the roots. Even the lightest blonde had a red tint to it.

I read a magazine, I think it was US Elle or Vogue. Anyway, this woman did an experiment going from brunette to blonde. And her hair was the same way. When it was finally blonde, it still looked orange. Her colorist said it would always be that way unless they went through more processes, which would likely make it all fall out. I especially don't reccomend doing much to already damaged hair.

But anyway, I think there's nothing wrong with it. I'm quite proud of my red tones. I'm like a secret redhead. :ninja: I'd love to have reddish blonde hair. It's kinda celtic. Whatever happens, I guess you just have to work with it. I imagine keeping it shiny instead of dull would really enhance it.

Yay! I am finally done I got one more full weave and the orange is gone. It isn't quite as blond as I had hoped more of a very light brown with blonde highlights..but after a few sessions of highlights it will be perfect! Thanks for all your input :D

Naturaly my hair is dark brown, and I was 100 per cent up to changing to blonde, but it wasn't that easy as I thought.
I bought the lightest shade hair dye, but after treatment my hair became just little bit lighter...and actually got not very nice red shade...I didn't give up and still tried to turn my hair into blonde...I did 3 week breaks between treatments, so in total it took me about half an year to get colour I wanted.
My advice don't dye your hair yourself...unless you have good knowledge about it.

Going blond?

Well im a brunette and i would love to try going blond,but i would like to know what hair coloring companies are good?loreal,Garnier,Herbal essences,,

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehousedownboots
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->