Calvin Klein "Secret Obsession" : Eva Mendes by Steven Meisel

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
052308_08.jpg

Calvin Klein's got a new preoccupation: Secret Obsession, its latest women's fragrance. Due out in mid-September, the floral oriental has a provocative new ad campaign featuring Eva Mendes. Industry sources estimated that Secret Obsession could do upward of $120 million at retail globally in its first year on counter.

Eva Mendes' secret? Well, it may be revealed this fall — that is, if Coty cleans up a steamy ad for its newest Calvin Klein fragrance, Secret Obsession, which has the network censors abuzz.

"The Obsession brand resonates in a very provocative place," said Catherine Walsh, senior vice president of American fragrances for Coty Prestige, which holds the Calvin Klein Fragrances license. "And we wanted to do a provocative ad. But we're not trying to be raunchy. There's a lot of skin, but it's done tastefully."

Evidently not tastefully enough for the network censors, who have banned the ad. "Every time we do TV [with the Calvin brand] it comes back with some sort of push-back from the networks — but nothing like this. This time," she vowed, "we're going to fight."

What's got the censors upset? Well, evidently a combination of what Mendes says — and doesn't say — layered with provocative music and lots of skin. It was shot by Steven Meisel, who also shot the print campaign. Coty executives declined to reveal the spot before its official unveiling in early June.

"It really taps into the secrecy of a private moment — where it's clear that Eva is having illicit thoughts," said Lori Singer, vice president of global marketing for the brand at Coty Prestige, "It's somewhat up to interpretation — because of how it's shot, and what you see and hear, and what you can't see and hear. You hear her voice, talking about having a sexy secret." Mendes appears alone in the ads, but Walsh and Singer are quick to point out that she isn't, well, doing any acting out of what she's vocalizing.

Whether or not the TV ads air in the U.S., nothing is coming between Mendes and her Calvins this year: Not only is she the face of Secret Obsession, due in mid-September, Mendes will also star in Calvin Klein's new women's underwear campaign this fall. "To me, Calvin Klein has always represented sexiness and a freedom to express yourself," said Mendes. "That was especially important for me, because I felt very awkward during my teen years. When I was approached by Calvin Klein, I thought that it would be so satisfying for me to be part of a campaign where I could show women and girls that it's okay to be different. I remember when the Obsession ads with Kate Moss came out — I thought she was so gorgeous. Kate wasn't a conventional beauty, her teeth weren't perfect and she wasn't blonde; my friends and I could relate to that. If I could provide that encouragement for someone with the Secret Obsession campaign, that would be amazing."

"Eva embodies the essence of the Calvin Klein brand," said Tom Murry, president and chief operating officer of Calvin Klein Inc. "This provocative new campaign conveys her universal appeal in a sensual way, capturing the essence of the Obsession fragrance."

"Obsession put Calvin Klein on the map in 1985 and continues to be an integral piece of the brand portfolio," added Michele Scannavini, president of Coty Prestige. "Over two decades later, we see it come full circle with Secret Obsession. While Obsession epitomized the overt glamour and sexuality of the Eighties, Secret Obsession will become the meaning of what is sexy today — more personal, sophisticated and intoxicating. Eva Mendes is a reflection of how things have changed over the past 20 years."

Secret Obsession, by Givaudan and Ann Gottlieb, has top notes of exotic plum, mace and rose de damas; a heart of Egyptian jasmine, French orange flower and tuberose, and base notes of cashmere woods, burnt amber, Madagascan vanilla and Australian sandalwood.

"When I first smelled Secret Obsession I was completely taken in," said Mendes. "It's like when you taste certain foods for the first time and you immediately have to have a second bite, that's how I felt about Secret Obsession."

The print campaign — in black and white — features a sultry Mendes evidently caught in a moment of passion. "The TV [ad] really tells the story; the print is a snapshot of that," said Walsh. It will begin running in September fashion, beauty and lifestyle magazines. Fabien Baron served as creative director for the ad campaign along with CRK, CKI's in-house ad agency. Paul Hanlon and Gucci Westman did hair and makeup, respectively, for the TV campaign, while Guido Palau and Pat McGrath did the honors for the print campaign. An intensive sampling campaign is also planned, with upward of 85 million scented impressions in the forecast.

looks good, thanks for posting

It looks bad, the hair looks dry and that angle doesn't do her justice. I would have preferred something more like DKNY's fragrance ads with Louise Pedersen because Eva would have rocked that. Oh and the flacon doesn't look good either.

the pic is okay, but I don't like the angle and the fact that the pic of the bottle doesn't match with her photo.

it's not wow, but it's not ugly
it's just an ordinary perfume ad

I think it looks a lot like Hilary Swank's CK underwear ads from awhile back. Not bad but not good either.

I actually agree with Marcel :ermm:
this is utterly awful, i can't believe some think it isn't bad.
& this angle reminds me of her VI cover :ninja:

^yeah.... I now do understand her collaboration in VI with Meisel....
it was not that innocent, then, right?

I think someone forgot to put the source of the pic + article :wink: It's WWD.

she looks like shes getting strangled or something...bad

Looks alot like the italian vogue cover!even the bottle looks tacky

I think it looks a lot like Hilary Swank's CK underwear ads from awhile back. Not bad but not good either.

indeed, they do look like Hilary's underwear ads, but those were better.

i love this comment from ONTD about the description of the ad :lol:

"Illicit thoughts"? What, is she thinking about an alluring drug deal? Planning a hot, steamy burglary? Intending to fiddle her tax return?

There's something really awkward and not right about the picture, but I can't quite say what it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->