Capes

maybe_tonight said:
I'm obsessed with capes at the moment. Does anyone know where I can find one similar to this one?

I think I remember seeing a black cape at HM that kind of looks like the one kate moss is wearing, but a bit shorter...

I'm looking for a grey wool one......having a tough time finding one coz I need one with arm slits in it.

h&m had a cute cape...

i still don't see many people wearing them...
but whenever i do...i think...
CUTE!!...:woot:...

another extension of neo goth...

This winter, you can cap most looks with a chic cape
Cape, £95, Whistles

cream cape with gold epaulettes, one size, topshop

from telegraph.co.uk...
same with above pics...

The cape of good taste
(Filed: 02/11/2005)

A winter coat may be an annual staple, but it is no longer the only option for the colder months. Chunky knits and ponchos, gilets and cosy wraps have all become popular, but, this autumn, the cape is shaping up to be the chicest choice.

Designers first tried to persuade us to wear capes a couple of seasons ago, but they were promptly usurped by the poncho, which itself went from ultra-hip to ultra-chav with alarming speed. This is unlikely to be the fate of the cape, though, which has much more of an edge than the sloppy poncho.

This autumn, many designers have incorporated capes into their collections. Miu Miu has some of the most stunning versions, including long tweed or plaid capes - some of which have shaggy mongolian skin collars - as well as more bohemian, colourful suede patchwork capes with whip-stitched seams.

Yves Saint Laurent has a tweed version with stiff braided seams, while Missoni has a much softer, high-necked, multi-coloured knitted cape. For a more affordable design, try Tu at Sainsbury's, which has a brilliant high-necked black version that costs just £35.

The longer silhouettes favoured by the designers look quite dramatic, but the high-street chains are producing shorter shapes, which are a little more palatable for anyone who prefers a subtle approach. Topshop and Whistles have cute cropped versions, which, incidentally, are very useful for bicycle and moped riders, as they keep shoulders warm, but still allow plenty of movement.

Choosing a cape

With all of these shapes, proportion is key. Longer capes can swamp small frames, so think about whether you have the height to carry them off. Wear them with narrow-leg trousers, or skinny jeans rather than skirts, which will create a confusion of hemlines.

Hip-length capes are by far the simplest to wear, and will flatter most body shapes, but, again, trousers are easier to carry off than skirts.

Shorter capes look great on most frames - although anyone with an ample bust should probably avoid them. Wear them over a plain polo-neck for the sleekest effect.

I want a cape, I been looking all over the last couple of months, a black thick, and wool one.

They are sooo cute! I loooove them! :heart:

hmmm....I had no idea capes were a trend.

I just bought like two weeks ago a black vintage silk velvet one from the thirties...it's so pretty and soft and well made with all these great little details here and there, but it was really long so I had it shortened. It's a lot of fun to wear. I haven't seen anyone else wearing a cape yet either, but I don't think I will because a cape is probably one of the last things on earth that would hit my town. Thank God.

That Miu Miu one is gorgeous!!!

Haha I don't like sequined boleros either, every has one!!

Zara has some short ones like around the elbow length, they are uber cool, i really like them a lot, i bet fw06.07 they'll go totally mainstream

thanks for refreshing the thread guys :flower:

^ I hope not. I like this look, but with everything I'm obsessed with it doesn't hit the stores until it's oversaturated.

vikingqueen said:
surprisingly i found a cute one at gap - slightly puckered sleeve, big buttons (black on black)... i must try and post pics later :D

I saw it on their website, and really :heart: it (along with their peacoat) but couldn't find it in the stores.

I just purchased a purple cape on eBay that I'm pretty excited about... definitely :heart: this trend!

cape.jpg

Lena said:
Zara has some short ones like around the elbow length, they are uber cool, i really like them a lot, i bet fw06.07 they'll go totally mainstream

thanks for refreshing the thread guys :flower:

They have some furry ones as well, with a cute ribbon. I would not have expected that I'd llike those, but I actually do!

i tried on the black cape at HM yesterday and it's quite nice :smile:

Pencilrot and nuitblanche, please credit those pics or they will have to be deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->