Capsule Wardrobes

Reaction score
First, for everyone who doesn't know what wardrobe / clothing capsules are: I have picked out two sources, a video and an article, that explain the idea very well in my opinion:

Building Clothing Capsules

- Start with what is in your closet
- Find a print garment or scarf that could pull together the two solids
- We started with as little as 5 pieces

- We created at least 6 separate outfits from from the 5 pieces

- Pick another solid color from the print and repeat it in basic pieces, like a royal blue skirt and jacket

- Get eight new combinations

- Add a black turtleneck

- And add 16 more outfits to your wardrobe for a total of 30
- Now you are on a roll!

source: teenfashionsenseclub.tripod
and the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ip5CX_5wo

As you can see, wardrobe capsules are basically a well - choosen limited number of items that can be mixed - and - matched to create outfits!

Now, I thought it might be fun and a little challenging to share our own capsules - dream or reality - by Polyvore sets, onlineshopping pictures or our own pictures.

Anyone who wants to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful thread! I'm on my way to (hopefully) building a capsule wardrobe. Having a only a few - but really excellent pieces - in my closet sounds like a dream.

I was thinking I'd post mine for fall ... which is going to be

• My black Helmut Lang wide-leg tropical wool pants
  • My grey/purple/metallic pewter Marc Jacobs wool tweed jacket
  • My black wool crepe Dana Buchman long A-line skirt
  • New black shoes--Valentino suede/ribbon peeptoe stillettos
  • New black/grey/pewter bag (yet to find)
  • Black silk sweaters
  • TBD

^ Pics so far ...

I may also add a purple wool skirt.

Attachments

• bag2.png
    bag2.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 2
  • valentino_bg.jpg
    valentino_bg.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2
^ Thanks :flower: (As you can see, I like ribbon & bows :wink: Hopefully I won't overdo it this season ...)

Does anyone have a capsule wardrobe to share?

bumping ^_^

Wish List / A capsule wardrobe for Spring

Around Christmas, I started thinking about what I would like to wear this Spring. I don't have any specific items in mind, just a few colours, fabrics & motifs. I am normally a black and grey with splashes of bold colours type of girl, but it seems that all I can think about at the moment are muted colours. It is a bit of a problem, and possibly why I find myself in a style pickle, because obviously my wardrobe isn't exactly filled with subtle tones of mauve, pale pink, maroon or beige. I do have a bit of this, but in a mish mash of winter & summer items, nothing consistent, and not enough to make a coherent wardrobe for the next 6 months. So I need a little bit of updating.

If I find myself stuck in a fashion rut, I find that the easiest way out is to spill the whole contents of my wardrobe on the floor and reinvent each item to suit my newly acquired tastes. This and a quick trip to the local charity shops and vintage shops to get the missing pieces generally results in a happy Mademoiselle Robot. I find it more rewarding than buying lots of different pieces each season. But that is out of the question anyway, as there is no way I could afford to redo my whole wardrobe each season, unless I start selling myself.

Here's what I would pick for myself if I could:

Dresses

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnRNdWlFaDMyM1JHLVdNRzNlUWszYVEAAAACaWQKAWUAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Tops & Bottoms

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFkRLc1MtQjMyM1JHSFJDcWNMUmFoT3cAAAACaWQKAWUAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

And finally, this would be my ideal capsule wardrobe for this Spring/Summer. There are lots of unusual colours (for me), clashing with brighter shoes and a pair of light skinny jeans - which I already have.
I think I have a teal marching band type jacket somewhere, I can just get that one out, change the buttons, add some feathers & tulle ruffles and boom, instant fashion fix!

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnVJSW90aC0yM1JHc2YxdFA1Y09QX0EAAAACaWQKAWUAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Basically, I want my Spring wardrobe to be more minimal, more grown up while still being in tune with my usual inspirations & more importantly with myself.

(...)

>>source<<

Oh. This is a great thread!

I really think that I've come to the point where I can close my eyes and grab something in my closet and it will be fine. Maybe that's because most of it is black :lol: Just kidding!

I'm trying to edit my wardrobe into a portable capsule for F/W/S.

Anyone with experience living out of a suitcase Holly Golightly style:heart:, or with a severely pared-down wardrobe?

The smaller the wardrobe is, the more versatile and better quality each piece has to be...it's proving difficult to know in advance what the teamwork will be like.

I would have sworn there was another capsule thread...maybe not.

^ There is, Melisande ... we have a packing thread, and then I think there's another one too ...what is it called :huh:

So I have been taking over the 4-5 piece french wardrobe lately with discussion that is probably better suited to this thread... I have worked on a capsule wardrobe for autumn/winter this year and as I am moving into the warmer months for 2010 I decided to do the same for spring/summer. The capsule wardrobe idea worked wonders for me in stopping my impulse buying and overspending on items that never got any wear. It's also made me think more about my personal style, and the things I will get long-term wear out of, rather than instant gratification items. So my list for spring/summer this year is as follows...

Tops
* plain american apparel v-neck tees
*** sheer/floral print blouses (need 3 more)

peacock print empire waist top
* ella moss portico tunic in ‘army’
* joie delano top in cranberry/off white
* cooperative sailor back tunic in turquoise grey
elizabeth & james black satin blouse
black/silk jersey t-shirt
peach silk t-shirt
* pins & needles lace dolman top in black
* ‘event style’ short sleeved top
* 'casual style' short sleeved top

Bottoms
* dark denim straight leg jeans (need 1 more)
* black pencil skirt (need 1 more)
* denim a-line skirt
boyfriend style roll-bottom jeans

Dresses
asos purple floral sundress
gap black cotton sundress
gap purple cotton sundress
target purple/green peacock print maxi dress
* pins & needles knit ditsy print babydoll dress

basque green/black peacock print dress
* ‘event style’ dress

Outerwear
cropped denim jacket
** lightweight black cardigan (need 2)

Accessories
* black bathing suit (need 1 more)

mimco oversized handbag
no-name black italian leather shoulder bag
stella mccartney for lesportsac black canteen shoulder back
see by chloe yellow cutout bag
marni purple clutch
vintage peacock feather clutch
* oversized clutch
see by chloe two can big shopping bag
* elizabeth and james bar pendant necklace
* fallon jewelry isis cuff

chloe leather aviator sunglasses
ray ban tortoiseshell wayfarers

Shoes
* black thin strap havaianas
* black leather ballet flats (need 1 more)

black country road t-bar flat leather sandals
** black flat leather sandals (need 2 more)

white converse low-top sneakers
dark teal nine west peep toe wedges
cream leather/suede charles & keith peep toe wedges
* black leather peep toe wedges

Items in italics will ideally be purchased this season...

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a black pencil skirt on sale today, so I can cross that off of my capsule wardrobe shopping list for summer... I also found a great pair of black leather peep toe wedges at Nine West that I think I'll be getting...

i'm currently making one of these B)

though 30 to me is actually way passed the 'excess' point
french is the way to go^^

^ So tell us about your capsule wardrobe, gius :flower:

For me, a capsule wardrobe is something you could pack and go on a trip (possibly paring back the accessories a bit). So if you have your seasonal capsule wardrobe well thought out, and you're going to travel under much the same circumstances (activities, weather) as your regular life, you don't even have to think about what to take ...

that's it exactly :P preparations for a trip to.. 'some place humid' ^^ nothing's tied down yet. i'm just ordering samples of different kinds of fabrics to see what would work best. ideally i will be cutting a lot of things out or combining so i carry less. style-wise i'm still working on it, but i am getting tired of looking dressed up all the time.. certain things seem to exaggerate parts of you, for me anyway, even if they are normally labelled casual (or maybe it's whom i'm with that i stick out)

i have plenty of thoughts to work on :-)

Love this thread...Im having a wardrobe crisis at the moment...so I think I should start to find my capsule

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->