Caring for long hair..

^ well maybe for straight hair, but my hair is long and curly and would turn into a frizzy mess if I brushed it. I only ever brush my hair when I wash it (once or twice a week)

^ same here. curly hair is not meant to be brushed. hats off to us for managing it well eh? :P

I agree brushing is important for your scalp so I should do it more often. I have straight hair but it doesn't tangle and whenever I brush it my ends get very dry and static-y so I don't like to do it. It's alright to do so before a shower though

I agree brushing is important for your scalp so I should do it more often. I have straight hair but it doesn't tangle and whenever I brush it my ends get very dry and static-y so I don't like to do it. It's alright to do so before a shower though

you should try using a different hair brush. I've got straight hair as well and went through a phase when every time i brushed my hair the ends got SOO static, but i switched hair brushes and it was fine. Another tip i've come across for dealing with that is to finely mist your brush with a non-sticky hairspray before brushing it; keeps the fly-aways at bay :flower:

I have waist-length hair, and I agree w/ not overwashing, detangler, braiding, etc.

Also: hot oil treatment!!! I was suffering from hard water tangles, but this, plus lemon rinse, really saved me.

Oil+heat, shampoo/condition/lemon rinse (just a few teaspoonfuls diluted in a litre of water) towel dry, lightly oil, dry.
I'm sure there are many good ways to do the hot oil, but I just blowdried my hair after applying oil. My hair has been the smoothest in months.
I used grapeseed; but my cousin swears by almond or coconut.
The Kerastase masque works really well for long hair, but I didnt like the silicone in it.

Can someone reconmend a deep conditioning treatment, one I can find at boots for example? as in easily available?

x use a mild schampoo if you wash your hair every day. a good example: kerastase bain riche or kerastase bain volumactive (i wash my hair _every_ day so i know what im talking about)
x a good comb is a must!

carmen kass: aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor!

Oil+heat, shampoo/condition/lemon rinse (just a few teaspoonfuls diluted in a litre of water) towel dry, lightly oil, dry.
I'm sure there are many good ways to do the hot oil, but I just blowdried my hair after applying oil. My hair has been the smoothest in months.
I used grapeseed; but my cousin swears by almond or coconut.
So you don't need an oil specifically designed for hair?

oil suiting ur hair varies from person to person. u just have to try a few and see what suits u best.
i swear by castor or almond oil.
coconut is great but ive heard many ppl complain about dandruff.

those of you who always keep your long hair in a braid; i kind of have to wonder, what's the point of having long hair if you always keep it tied in a plait? I love having my long hair tumbling loose and free, i wear a braid or other up-dos every now and then but if you keep it in a braid every day why not just chop it off and have hair that you can actually wear down? I genuinely don't understand...??

^You think having your hair down is beautiful, but others think long braids are beautiful :flower: I've had many, many comments on my hair, and I nearly always keep it braided or in a high ponytail. Not all people want to wear their hair down, I certainly don't.

^You think having your hair down is beautiful, but others think long braids are beautiful :flower: I've had many, many comments on my hair, and I nearly always keep it braided or in a high ponytail. Not all people want to wear their hair down, I certainly don't.

it's true, long braids are beautiful. I just thought people were saying that they kept it braided to keep it out of the way or avoid the hassle of having long hair, which made me wonder why they have their hair long in the first place. But i guess you're right, that makes sense!^_^

I have to say, the quality of my long, frizzy, thick hair has improved significantly since I used masques everyday and let my hair air-dry. I think the heat was doing too much damage to it :(

^ Defenitely. I found out that the heat from the blow-dryer is actually causing nearly as much damage as a flat-iron used everyday! So, letting your hair air-dry is certainly the best idea.

I agree with letting your hair dry naturally, it's so much better for your hair, especially wavy or curly hair!

I have to say, the quality of my long, frizzy, thick hair has improved significantly since I used masques everyday and let my hair air-dry. I think the heat was doing too much damage to it :(

heat is a bastard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->