Chanel Exhibition at the MET

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
Thought I'd post something in this section about this new exhibition.....

Hope some of out NYC members an report on the exhibition itself if they visit it.

CO-HOSTS Anna Wintour, Nicole Kidman and Karl Lagerfeldhttp://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=25531&date=&sid=#brought in a roll call of all the world's most gorgeous and glamorous from fashion and film for the annual gala at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art last night. Claire Danes, Elle Macpherson, Naomi Watts, Sheryl Crow and Marcia Gay Harden were among the stars who turned up to the $150,000-a-table event, which this year celebrated the launch of the new Chanel exhibition at the museum. Lagerfeld himself, who has acted as creative director at the house of Chanel since 1983, has always shrugged off suggestions of retrospective exhibitions in the past. For this one, which is hailed as an open dialogue between Coco Chanel and her modern-day successor by the museum's curator, Harold Koda, Lagerfeld admitted that due to a fractious relationship with the museum he had nothing more to do with the preparation of it than approving the outfits used and contributing to the catalogue. "I like today," the designer told reporters last night. "I am not interested in the past. My task is to anticipate for Chanel what will be in fashion tomorrow."

Here is a link to the thread in star style with the attendees from the opening party:wink: :

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25946&highlight=Chanel

Last edited by a moderator:
Chanel
May 5, 2005–August 7, 2005
Special Exhibition Galleries, 1st floor
spacer.gif
[font=geneva,arial,sans-serif]One of the most revered designers of the 20th century, Coco Chanel (1883–1971) made an enduring impact on the fashion world. It is the authority and mastery of her work, the resonance of her image of the modern woman as articulated in her designs, and the autobiographical infusion of influences in her collections that confirm her iconic stature. In this exhibition, the spirit of the House of Chanel echoes vibrantly with an unprecedented presentation of more than 50 designs and accessories from the Museum’s Costume Institute collection, Chanel Archives, and other international institutions such as the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The exhibition examines the history of the House of Chanel thematically, revealing ideas and elements of biography as they were expressed in Chanel’s work. Period examples are juxtaposed with the work of Karl Lagerfeld, who joined the House of Chanel in 1983, revitalizing its spirit and identity. Through Lagerfeld’s interpretations and refinements, the historic importance of Chanel is both defined and asserted for the modern woman.
spacer.gif

The exhibition and its accompanying catalogue are made possible by CHANEL.
Additional support has been provided by Condé Nast.

chanel_big.jpg

[/font]

Hi Helena :wink:
I live in NY. I'll definately will check it out!
thanks for the topic

thanks fashionyork - look forward to it. Enjoy!

Thanks Helena.

Not interested in the past? A bit of a contradiction seeing as he's always referencing the past of Chanel. What's the matter Kaiser Karl....the attention isn't directed on you for once instead on the genuis herself? Silly twit of a man he is.

Did you guys read the interview he gave to Harpers Baazar, i think the march or april issue. Its almost funny, he is so full of himself.. lol.. still, I like him a lot! lol
I could scan and post where its appropriate if someone is interested in reading.
Plus in this month there is a special chanel editorial, kind of a retrospective.. pretty great too.

Scott said:
Thanks Helena.

Not interested in the past? A bit of a contradiction seeing as he's always referencing the past of Chanel. What's the matter Kaiser Karl....the attention isn't directed on you for once instead on the genuis herself? Silly twit of a man he is.

yes Scott - he just talks a load of old rubbish as far as I can see. He's actually hilarious I think- a characature. Completely delusional with no sense of reality whatsoever. :lol: :D Its fun to see what tripe he is going to come out with next.

fashionyork said:
Did you guys read the interview he gave to Harpers Baazar, i think the march or april issue. Its almost funny, he is so full of himself.. lol.. still, I like him a lot! lol
I could scan and post where its appropriate if someone is interested in reading.
Plus in this month there is a special chanel editorial, kind of a retrospective.. pretty great too.

yes thanks fashionyork that would be much appreciated - post it in this thread if you wnat....:flower: B)

Coco was such a genius , I have so much respect for.

karl:rolleyes:

Just an update: Naomi Watts was wearing Calvin Klein Collection....not Chanel Couture as mentioned. I saw the dress in development and finishing stages. A step towards romanticism from Calvin....but love Chanel (and Karl), too! :smile:

helena said:
yes Scott - he just talks a load of old rubbish as far as I can see. He's actually hilarious I think- a characature. Completely delusional with no sense of reality whatsoever. :lol: :D Its fun to see what tripe he is going to come out with next.

:lol: I know....

I don't even think he knows what he's talking about half the time.

is the exhibition catalogue also available somewhere else? i won't be able to make it to nyc before sept or oct, so i thought about buying the catalogue....
does anyone know? thanks a lot!!

helena said:
yes thanks fashionyork that would be much appreciated - post it in this thread if you wnat....:flower: B)

Harper's Baazar USA
April 2005
"Ode to Coco"
8 scans

chanel1.jpg

chanel2.jpg

chanel3.jpg

last batch...

chanel7.jpg

chanel8.jpg

I try to post before as an attachmens but it was too big. So i uploaded then on photobucket for i can post here. I hope its big enough to read, In case isnt whoever is interested can send me a PM that I can send to you in the original gigantic size :blush:

awww thanks for the scans fashionyork..
Mlle Chanel is adorable and an all times fave of mine,
a real inspiration, as for Karl.. imo he should retire,
enough damage done for the House of Chanel,
he never deserved his post as the head of the Chanel team
and i seriously doubt if Chanel ever said that Vionnet & Sciap were 'ugly'

If anyone has a look at the catalogue, tell me if its worth getting,
my mom is in NY and she will go to the show, maybe she can buy the book for me
(that's if its not full of Karl's annoying ego tripping)

I'm absolutely dying to see this exhibition....just thinking about seeing all of those fabulous vintage pieces from the archives is almost surreal.

Hi Lena, you're welcome!
I didnt even know about this catalogue! I guess would be selling in the museum? Im gonna try to see this saturday, let's see my mood for crowds when the day arrives :lol:

I'll let you know if I get my hands on this catalogue- what I think :flower:

This month Harpers Baazar has another editorial about the Met event. I guess i should put here too ? :innocent:

feel free to add anything regarding the met Chanel event here fashionyork :wink:

and yes, i will much appreciate any info on the catalogue,
thats if you are in a crowd mood this weekend :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->