Chanel Haute Couture F/W 2024.25 Paris

Its funny how VV even when she just left and factually worked on this till 19 days ago, it pains people to give credit on parts they might like of this show lol.....venue and direction included.

Confirmation bias is a human thing i understand, but its funny to see it in action.
( Confirmation bias describes our underlying tendency to notice, focus on, and provide greater credence to evidence that fit our existing beliefs.)

Sure, but a lot can be done in 19 days and this is a total departure from the last couture collection *which was ABYSMAL).

There is a visible difference. The only known variable is that Virginie is no longer there. It's not illogical to assume there is a correlation.

I see a lot of criticisms of Chanel being referred to as "matronly" and "dowdy", but what does that even mean? A Chanel suit is an old fashioned garment in a way. Yes, you might make it into a mini-skirt, or shorten the sleeves, or have the décolletage low, but at the end of the day - the Chanel suit will always have a certain aura of being old-fashioned.

And at the end of the day - isn't this the point? Women traditionally buy the Chanel ensemble as a kind of nod to the past, and in the hopes that it will give them a more elegant allure, a la grand-mère in the 1960s. They buy it because it symbolises a kind of French elegance and intemporalité that other garments cannot even compete with. Perhaps the Bar Jacket is it's only natural competitor.

I think sometimes we expect these legacy brands to be far too cutting edge and modern, which in theory is exciting, but in reality, probably wouldn't work.

That's the irony of the legacy in a way. Make it too modern, and it's not Chanel enough, make it too old-fashioned, and it's too matronly and dowdy. You can never win.

This collection did not feel heavy to me at all. Given that it was an Autumn Winter collection and shown in the Opera Garnier, I thought they balanced it quite well.

Sure, but a lot can be done in 19 days and this is a total departure from the last couture collection *which was ABYSMAL).

There is a visible difference. The only known variable is that Virginie is no longer there. It's not illogical to assume there is a correlation.
Yes absolutely allot can be alerted and tweaked i have no doubt this happened to an extend (in RTW 2 weeks is all it takes to do a new full shw even at big brands even 5 days but not HC ), how much we can only guess and speculate because even if last HC was less than nice so say bluntly, i feel the awkwardness of those past collections is still evident in this one as well and i feel a lot is still here.

What i disagree is that the studio did such a overhaul and therefore its justified to like it more.
I feel our sunglaseed are rose tinted to like it more because given press release statement, as some sort of licence for approval of a Chanel post VV already started.

Just a feeling not stated in truths or facts :-)

I see a lot of criticisms of Chanel being referred to as "matronly" and "dowdy", but what does that even mean? A Chanel suit is an old fashioned garment in a way. Yes, you might make it into a mini-skirt, or shorten the sleeves, or have the décolletage low, but at the end of the day - the Chanel suit will always have a certain aura of being old-fashioned.

And at the end of the day - isn't this the point? Women traditionally buy the Chanel ensemble as a kind of nod to the past, and in the hopes that it will give them a more elegant allure, a la grand-mère in the 1960s. They buy it because it symbolises a kind of French elegance and intemporalité that other garments cannot even compete with. Perhaps the Bar Jacket is it's only natural competitor.

I think sometimes we expect these legacy brands to be far too cutting edge and modern, which in theory is exciting, but in reality, probably wouldn't work.

That's the irony of the legacy in a way. Make it too modern, and it's not Chanel enough, make it too old-fashioned, and it's too matronly and dowdy. You can never win.

This collection did not feel heavy to me at all. Given that it was an Autumn Winter collection and shown in the Opera Garnier, I thought they balanced it quite well.
Sooooooo on point ...thank you for saying and highlighting all this.

Sad thing is fashion fans or cutting edge desires don't pay the bills, because actual consumers want one thing and fashion fans want something else form these legacy houses, the millions of Chanel clients that pay get the last vote and the result at Dior and Chanel is also the this out come of last years for the dowdy or safe designs. Same for logo products people keep buying it so they make more of it.

Its something magnified with internet and social media, fans of a brand and actual customer have this splitted realities, where as past being a fan/fashion lover and client was one thing..... mostly.

Even KL spoke about it many times regarding marketing and focus groups and listing to the crowds, he had a nice quote if i remember it well on his way of working was ; A democracy of one !, meaning he sees and is influenced by everything happening and around him but he listen to his own final ideas and voices.

virginie definitely had her hand in this, let's be real. there's no way she wasn't involved in designing this - besides the wonderful cape, it started out wide and frumpy and it got progressively better, which is lowkey shocking, but overall a relief.

and i loved the capes. best things about the collection. (however, it felt a little like ppp's valentino, as if they were waving their handkerchief at him to come holla and i hope he doesn't. we don't need designers suffering from an identity crisis, chasing youth as a shallow remedy at chanel of all places)

the atelier finished the collection well. so applause and brava to them. karl taught them well - this was really, we're karl's girls, not virginie's. she ain't really with the crew type of feeling. i don't care what PR says, this to me communicates the atelier was not in full agreement with viginie's vision.

bravely, the atelier and alt (or whomever else helped style this) did a much needed course-correct towards homeostasis and it feels right. a message of "this is how it almost should have been done" and i respect it.

burn that wedding dress. monstrosity. probably too late and too expensive to chop it up, but my goodness. dreadful.

The shadow of Virginie is a long one...it is very obvious she started the collection; then when she left the team was allowed to make changes and/or finish it.

But I don´t care if was Virginie or the team...something new has been born here. No more wedding gowns, the divorce gown has enter the scene! Because frankly, who in her sane mind is going to marry wearing that??

this to me communicates the atelier was not in full agreement with viginie's vision
Thats a long stretch she been there 30 years and she is known to have a calm and peaceful work environment in the studio am sure she is loved and respected i never heard other wise from people there in general.
And as came from KL mouth himself decisions for collections were made with him (KL) and VV and Bruno and no one else.

Dowdy designs has been part of KL version of Chanel for many years the handwriting is there in VV version as well, its just missing the pop glaze that KL knew so well to tap into for the air/vibe of the times so most fans of fashion were kept satisfied.

Its been a long critic on KL clothes as well by insiders in fashion and general public that its stuffy old fashioned clothes when will he be fired or gone while he was alive, now he past away it's all forgotten the amount of hate he got as well for the same subjects as VV for Chanel :too commercial, too old clothes, tacky, noting new etc

The fashion spot should invest in AI to analyze all these past comments/sentiments versus press clippings and i am sure lots of interesting eye opening data will come out, if they are not doing this already for profit.

The only thing I wanted to add is that the VV colors are not there, so either they eliminated those looks or the Atelier changed the colors...

In reality this collection looks very unfinished but because it fits with our idea of simplicity courtesy of Chanel, people are more than welcomed to appreciate that.

Even if I have never been a HC client, as a past RTW client, I find it still frumpy.

I think Armani’s simplicity was more achieved. And you don’t need much. Embroideries with off fit is never OK with me. Give me a tailored velvet pant all day!

Its been a long critic on KL clothes as well by insiders in fashion and general public that its stuffy old fashioned clothes when will he be fired or gone while he was alive, now he past away it's all forgotten the amount of hate he got as well for the same subjects as VV for Chanel :too commercial, too old clothes, tacky, noting new etc

The fashion spot should invest in AI to analyze all these past comments/sentiments versus press clippings and i am sure lots of interesting eye opening data will come out, if they are not doing this already for profit.
I remember that time very well…
I remember times when I was the only one cheering on some collections…For Chanel at least lol.

Chanel and Dior’s Haute Couture Loses Heat​

No fireworks from the world’s most famous fashion brands, writes Tim Blanks.
Chanel’s audience has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them, argues Tim Blanks.

Chanel’s audience has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them, argues Tim Blanks. (Getty Images)
BOF

Chanel’s audience has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them, argues Tim Blanks.

Chanel’s audience has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them, argues Tim Blanks.(Getty Images)

ByTIM BLANKS
26 June 2024
BoF PROFESSIONAL

PARIS — A handful of designers notwithstanding, the fashion industry’s lack of engagement with the horrors unfolding before our eyes will follow it to its grave. So hat’s off to the ever-prescient Michel Gaubert for the opening gambit of his soundtrack for the Chanel show on Tuesday morning. He resurrected an obscure 1969 track called “Sympathy” by Rare Bird, whose sonorous vocalist intoned the following lyrics: “Half the world hates the other half, and half the world has all the food, and half the world lies down and quietly starves ‘cause there’s not enough love to go round.”
It was an audacious entrée to an haute couture show, especially at this moment, and especially for this show which celebrated a level of glittering luxury that hasn’t really been part of Chanel’s repertoire under the creative directorship of Virginie Viard. Her abrupt departure after 38 years with the brand is still shrouded in mystery, and on Tuesday, everyone was towing the company line. Viard had nothing to do with this collection, design duties were handled by an entity called the Fashion Creation Studio.
Assuming this was a placeholder collection until the next creative director fronts up, the studio did a good job of honouring the location – the Palais Garnier, the legendary home of the most famous phantom in the opera world – with a collection that had the requisite amount of drama and theatricality. The show opened with Vittoria Ceretti striding through the opera house’s shadowy corridors like a highwaywoman in a sweeping black taffeta cape. Many capes followed, in feathers or knit or more taffeta, in a peachy pink. But the drama was balanced by sensible tweed suits with box-pleated skirts, and equally sober coat dresses. Granted, they were bedazzled with sequins and, in one significant instance, little metallic bows, but still, they highlighted the fact that Chanel’s audience, as evidenced by at least three-quarters of Tuesday’s audience, has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them. And it’s defined enough to suggest this is one brand that is essentially creative director-proof.

The show notes seemed to acknowledge as much when they emphasised the staying power of the couture ateliers “where some 150 people work in six ateliers at 31 rue Cambon next to the Chanel Fashion Creation Studio.” God help the hire who tries to mess with that, unless he/she is a master coder. Because codes are ultimately what Chanel is about. There is a history (today, a tutu, as a reminder that Chanel designed for the ballet in the 1920s) and there is a vocabulary of that history honed by the Lagerfeld years: the sparkly tweeds, a principal-boy black corduroy tux, the sleeveless shift with a Klimt-like encrustation of gold sequins and beads, a showgirl tassel on a skirt. A wink to the overdone, in other words. Virginie Viard never got that quite right.

When the models disappeared at the end of the show, and the lights went out, and the sound of spectral footsteps echoed through the darkness, I thought for a moment it might be Virginie making an appearance as the Phantom. But no, it was just The Bride, Angelina Kendall in a fantasy bridal gown, with ruffles, full sleeves and a train.
That is one couture trope which would never engage Maria Grazia Chiuri. In her couture show for Dior on Monday, she was, as usual, illuminating the exigencies of feminism, this time through the lens of sport. Chiuri was captivated by an exhibition at the Louvre which looked at the heroic fantasies of antiquity that prevailed until the 19th century, when competitive sport was off limits to women. Chiuri has also always loved the classical peplos silhouette. She showed it at its purest in this collection. That gave her a tight focus: body, clothes, performance. She found a contemporary co-relative in the work of American artist Faith Ringgold whose L.A. Subway Commission Mosaics were recreated for the walls of Chiuri’s showspace by the ateliers of the Chanakya School of Craft in India, which has been an invaluable resource for Dior. In this case, however, Ringgold’s hyper-coloured, hyper-energetic images of Black athletes in action were an overwhelmingly incongruous backdrop for Chiuri’s pallid collection.

It’s not the first time the designer’s ideal and execution have been at odds, however much it always starts so well, here with the transition between a traditional structured wardrobe and the easier knitwear-brd outfits of the 1920s. Chiuri liked the experimental notion of using sporty jersey where couture would have usually called for chiffon or georgette. Instead of the traditional corset, she introduced tanks or bodysuits. They ended up lustrously beaded, feathered or embroidered.
But, as she herself acknowledged, these were the kind of experiments she was used to conducting in ready-to-wear. The stark white peplos had all the casual charm of an elongated t-shirt. What looked like a carpet was swept up as a shawl. And then a long line of pale permutations of what goddesses might wear on Olympus, accessorised with sandals they would surely recognise. It’s a shame it didn’t feel Olympian.

Yes…The collection was designed by Virginie but she probably signed an NDA.
We don’t buy it. None of the collaborators, even down to Amanda, aknowledged her exit. The Fashion Creation Studio doesn’t mean anything if it’s the same team as before. They didn’t hired a special team for this specific collection
Not the best look for Chanel anyway even if the mass doesn’t care.
I wonder if they will risk hiring a strong personality though.

The 80's bride from this season is still more dated than even the actual 80's Chanel Haute Couture brides. (Oh, hey Ines.)
Chanel Couture brides from between 1986-1989 below. Even looks from the past hold more modernity today, than that bride who we seen present day. With Virginie's love for 80's new wave pop vibes, I could see her hand in that bride. Love the collection, just not that bride.

défilé-chanel-haute-couture-hiver-1986-1987.jpg
chanel-couture-runway-spring-86-paris-france-28-jan-1986.jpg
défilé-chanel-haute-couture-printemps-eté-1989.jpg
runway-haute-couture-fall-winter-1987-1988.jpg

What do you mean? You mean post something on ig?
Yes, something simple as that.
Nothing from Michel Gaubert or Amanda Sanchez, the few seamstresses who are on IG or even the casting director or people from the studio like Augustin Dolmaillot.

So far from all I can remember, only Caroline de Maigret posted something or at least aknowledged the fact that she left.

Chanel’s audience has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them, argues Tim Blanks.(Getty Images)

ByTIM BLANKS
26 June 2024
BoF PROFESSIONAL

PARIS — A handful of designers notwithstanding, the fashion industry’s lack of engagement with the horrors unfolding before our eyes will follow it to its grave. So hat’s off to the ever-prescient Michel Gaubert for the opening gambit of his soundtrack for the Chanel show on Tuesday morning. He resurrected an obscure 1969 track called “Sympathy” by Rare Bird, whose sonorous vocalist intoned the following lyrics: “Half the world hates the other half, and half the world has all the food, and half the world lies down and quietly starves ‘cause there’s not enough love to go round.”
It was an audacious entrée to an haute couture show, especially at this moment, and especially for this show which celebrated a level of glittering luxury that hasn’t really been part of Chanel’s repertoire under the creative directorship of Virginie Viard. Her abrupt departure after 38 years with the brand is still shrouded in mystery, and on Tuesday, everyone was towing the company line. Viard had nothing to do with this collection, design duties were handled by an entity called the Fashion Creation Studio.
Assuming this was a placeholder collection until the next creative director fronts up, the studio did a good job of honouring the location – the Palais Garnier, the legendary home of the most famous phantom in the opera world – with a collection that had the requisite amount of drama and theatricality. The show opened with Vittoria Ceretti striding through the opera house’s shadowy corridors like a highwaywoman in a sweeping black taffeta cape. Many capes followed, in feathers or knit or more taffeta, in a peachy pink. But the drama was balanced by sensible tweed suits with box-pleated skirts, and equally sober coat dresses. Granted, they were bedazzled with sequins and, in one significant instance, little metallic bows, but still, they highlighted the fact that Chanel’s audience, as evidenced by at least three-quarters of Tuesday’s audience, has a very specific notion of what Chanel means to them. And it’s defined enough to suggest this is one brand that is essentially creative director-proof.

The show notes seemed to acknowledge as much when they emphasised the staying power of the couture ateliers “where some 150 people work in six ateliers at 31 rue Cambon next to the Chanel Fashion Creation Studio.” God help the hire who tries to mess with that, unless he/she is a master coder. Because codes are ultimately what Chanel is about. There is a history (today, a tutu, as a reminder that Chanel designed for the ballet in the 1920s) and there is a vocabulary of that history honed by the Lagerfeld years: the sparkly tweeds, a principal-boy black corduroy tux, the sleeveless shift with a Klimt-like encrustation of gold sequins and beads, a showgirl tassel on a skirt. A wink to the overdone, in other words. Virginie Viard never got that quite right.

When the models disappeared at the end of the show, and the lights went out, and the sound of spectral footsteps echoed through the darkness, I thought for a moment it might be Virginie making an appearance as the Phantom. But no, it was just The Bride, Angelina Kendall in a fantasy bridal gown, with ruffles, full sleeves and a train.
That is one couture trope which would never engage Maria Grazia Chiuri. In her couture show for Dior on Monday, she was, as usual, illuminating the exigencies of feminism, this time through the lens of sport. Chiuri was captivated by an exhibition at the Louvre which looked at the heroic fantasies of antiquity that prevailed until the 19th century, when competitive sport was off limits to women. Chiuri has also always loved the classical peplos silhouette. She showed it at its purest in this collection. That gave her a tight focus: body, clothes, performance. She found a contemporary co-relative in the work of American artist Faith Ringgold whose L.A. Subway Commission Mosaics were recreated for the walls of Chiuri’s showspace by the ateliers of the Chanakya School of Craft in India, which has been an invaluable resource for Dior. In this case, however, Ringgold’s hyper-coloured, hyper-energetic images of Black athletes in action were an overwhelmingly incongruous backdrop for Chiuri’s pallid collection.

It’s not the first time the designer’s ideal and execution have been at odds, however much it always starts so well, here with the transition between a traditional structured wardrobe and the easier knitwear-brd outfits of the 1920s. Chiuri liked the experimental notion of using sporty jersey where couture would have usually called for chiffon or georgette. Instead of the traditional corset, she introduced tanks or bodysuits. They ended up lustrously beaded, feathered or embroidered.
But, as she herself acknowledged, these were the kind of experiments she was used to conducting in ready-to-wear. The stark white peplos had all the casual charm of an elongated t-shirt. What looked like a carpet was swept up as a shawl. And then a long line of pale permutations of what goddesses might wear on Olympus, accessorised with sandals they would surely recognise. It’s a shame it didn’t feel Olympian.

“… and on Tuesday, everyone was towing the company line. Viard had nothing to do with this collection, design duties were handled by an entity called the Fashion Creation Studio.”

Lol. Who are those that the execs at Chanel trying to kid? This surely reads like VV was being pushed to resign… (I can’t imagine the lawsuit and the severances Chanel will have to pay her for her decades long service so of course they will make her quit on her own decision)

And I can see Imran Amed coming out with another IG post trying to appease Dior and Chanel over this review just like what he did previously… *chuckles*

Anyway, it’s quite obvious that the design studios tried bring in the shapes of the looks to prevent it from looking too “loose” like it was under VV… but they kept/added a lot of big bows in VV’s sensibility still… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whoever lead the finishing of this collection should probably be appointed as the new CD. If they could turn vv's boring designs into this collection in 19 days, imagine what they could do with more time and without her vision as the base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->