Chanel Haute Couture S/S 05 Paris

liberty33r1b

Reaction score
PARIS (AFP) - Karl Lagerfeld conjured up a light and airy garden party at Chanel, reinventing the pomp of the 18th century French royal court in his decidedly modern spring-summer 2005 haute couture collection.

AFP Photo

"Haute couture is luxury, refinement, savoir-faire. It's a certain state of being, lightness," the German designer told AFP after the morning show at the Paris Opera's warehouse, which he transformed into a 21st century Versailles.

Lagerfeld's modern Marie Antoinettes, with pale skin and rosy cheeks, strolled through a formal garden dotted with fake topiaries and dominated by a fountain made from the venerable French house's interlocking double-C logo.

For daytime, he once again recreated the classic Chanel tweed suit, putting a slightly rounded skirt under a short jacket with elbow-length sleeves, allowing a satin blouse or a puff of white tulle to poke out at the cuffs.

Lagerfeld's trademark black and white dominated the collection both for day and evening, with a delicately sequined check suit glittering off the catwalk. But he also offered suits in pastels, from rose to buttery yellow to lilac.

Charming sleeveless pink cocktail dresses with full pleated skirts were finished with three embroidered bows on the bodice, like those that adorned the gowns of Madame de Pompadour, the mistress of King Louis XV.

Lagerfeld offered romantic ball gowns including one in white silk faille, tied sweetly at the waist with a giant sky blue bow. Bracelets made from jewel-encrusted porcelain flowers and girlish headbands completed the look.

A string quartet played at the entrance to the show -- the perfect accompaniment for a garden party, but in a modern twist, the group offered a quirky rendition of "Seven Nation Army" by the cult rock band White Stripes.

Despite the dwindling number of Paris couture shows, Chanel president Francoise Montenay said the future of couture looked bright, with new clients eager to pay top dollar for exclusive made-to-order pieces.

"For Chanel, haute couture is like the essence of a perfume. You have to know and appreciate the beauty of fashion to understand haute couture. It's part of our lives. It's in our blood," she told AFP.

Christian Lacroix was due to present his spring couture collection later Tuesday. Luxury group LVMH is currently in talks to sell the Lacroix label, which despite the French designer's high profile has failed to turn a profit.

capt.sge.emd13.250105130732.photo00.photo.default-244x384.jpg

these are the first pics out.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's gorgeous so far ... lovely confections.

^ :heart: that one! (could do without the tan lines tho)

2 more ..

thanks for the pictures and article liberty...:flower:

now THIS is a chicken outfit that i'd actually WEAR... :lol: :innocent:

i think this and valentino just make galliano look so silly and so dated...
galliano is still so caught up in the 90's...with all the over the top stuff...even when he reels it in he's over the top...

this is so quietly lovely...so elegant...any lady would be happy to own these pieces... :flower:

softgrey said:
this is so quietly lovely...so elegant...any lady would be happy to own these pieces... :flower:

agreed. :smile:

one more pic with Mr Lagerfeld ... I know there's a lot of karl bashing around here at times, perhaps deservedly so...but he does create some amazing things.

Who said that karl was past it? He's hot! Except for the wigs I think it's magnificent!

liberty33r1b said:
chicken outfit?!

it's a refernce to something in the what are you wearing thread... :wink:

and a running joke btw tangerine and myself... :P :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blipster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"