Chanel Pre-Fall 2024 Manchester

given it’s métier d’arts, i was hoping to see a football minaudière but oh well. This doesn't look expensive.it’s not offensive but it’s giving mid-level luxe.

^ At least this Burda cover must have looked cool in its times. On the contrary, this Chanel show will never look good because Virginie has no taste and no sense of humour. I refuse to believe a stylist is involved in this Chanel mess, it's always heavy, frumpy, and straight up ugly. And what's the thing with murky colours?

S
^ At least this Burda cover must have looked cool in its times. On the contrary, this Chanel show will never look good because Virginie has no taste and no sense of humour. I refuse to believe a stylist is involved in this Chanel mess, it's always heavy, frumpy, and straight up ugly. And what's the thing with murky colours?
She probably gave us her view to UK swinging 60's fashion with those murky colours

^ But her colours are always like that in her collections, they're off and almost uncomfortable to look at, especially when combined with different textures.

Not crazy about the styling and a few items are head-scratchers, but I love so many of these pieces. They're being called frumpy and old, but to me, they're very youthful, not in a "sexy" babydoll OR streetwear sort of way that fashion so often pushes. I especially feel that in the behind-the-scenes photos.

vogue.com

Last edited:
Not crazy about the styling and a few items are head-scratchers, but I love so many of these pieces. They're being called frumpy and old, but to me, they're very youthful, not in a "sexy" babydoll OR streetwear sort of way that fashion so often pushes. I especially feel that in the behind-the-scenes photos.

vogue.com
They look so much better here than on the runway.

let’s get one thing straight: apart from the fact that Karl was talented he also knew perfectly what it was to be rich, luxurious, ostentatious, stylish. his designs and accessories (jewellery, shoes, handbags) reflected that.
Virginie doesn’t look like she knows anything about it.

Gabrielle Chanel loathed ostentatiousness.

they look a little better than the runway. Still looks like your grandmas clothes. Only the black/white belted jacket with sliced sleeves is a look. The east west chanel flap is a flop without Karls ability to usher it into the conversation.

I dont think Karls work was ostentatious. Just what happens when youre dealing with the best craftsman. Its like how statues are sculpted in marble.

But if it wasn't for Karl and his ostentatiousness and vision, there would probably be no Chanel for Virginie to put out her frumpy garments. Remember, Chanel was near irrelevant by the time Karl got to it.
true but it seems that he did it by selling other stuff, maybe with make up? i don't know, clearly the tenure was successful but I don't think young girls adopted the chanel style? is no 5 financing everything? anyone knows the numbers?

But if it wasn't for Karl and his ostentatiousness and vision, there would probably be no Chanel for Virginie to put out her frumpy garments. Remember, Chanel was near irrelevant by the time Karl got to it.
true but it seems that he did it by selling other stuff, maybe with make up? i don't know, clearly the tenure was successful but I don't think young girls adopted the chanel style? is no 5 financing everything? anyone knows the numbers?
You clearly underestimate the degree of success of RTW during Karl’s tenure and also overestimate the success of N5. It’s been like more than a decade since their top selling fragrance is Coco Mademoiselle. They are still pushing N5 because it’s the foundation of their beauty business and it still appeal to an older crowd…Much like they sells more classic bags than 2.55

Chanel under Karl sold well. It was a different clientele though. There were less logos on clothes so Virginie’s clientele is likely younger with a strong spending power.

Plus, when Karl was at the helm, while Chanel was already super expensive, it was more affordable than today. In his last seasons, a tshirt was between 700/850€ and jeans from 900€/100€ for entry prices RTW. Today, some of the tshirts from the resort collection start at 1900€.

Karl’s Chanel is very different from Virginie but Virginie’s tenure highlight IMO, more than Karl’s the power of the name and the branding of Chanel.

You clearly underestimate the degree of success of RTW during Karl’s tenure and also overestimate the success of N5. It’s been like more than a decade since their top selling fragrance is Coco Mademoiselle. They are still pushing N5 because it’s the foundation of their beauty business and it still appeal to an older crowd…Much like they sells more classic bags than 2.55

Chanel under Karl sold well. It was a different clientele though. There were less logos on clothes so Virginie’s clientele is likely younger with a strong spending power.

Plus, when Karl was at the helm, while Chanel was already super expensive, it was more affordable than today. In his last seasons, a tshirt was between 700/850€ and jeans from 900€/100€ for entry prices RTW. Today, some of the tshirts from the resort collection start at 1900€.

Karl’s Chanel is very different from Virginie but Virginie’s tenure highlight IMO, more than Karl’s the power of the name and the branding of Chanel.
Karl used the logo in everything. my question i guess is, who bought chanel and what did they buy? because it doesn't seem the suits sold by a lot, they are rarely seen anywhere.

Rich women buy lots of chanel clothes. Im confused. chanel is one of the few brands where customers buy multiple head-to-toe looks at once. Karl said they send the tailors in private jets to the customers who are ordering multiple haute couture outfits.

A customer with 100k outfit budget but no real care for fashion. chanel would be a no brainer for you. Karl did all the work - buy a chanel look, youre guaranteed to be in fashion and look absolutely wealthy.

Last edited:
Karl used the logo in everything. my question i guess is, who bought chanel and what did they buy? because it doesn't seem the suits sold by a lot, they are rarely seen anywhere.
He mostly used logos on accessories and in prints but if you look more in depth, the clothes were so infused with Chanel codes that he barely used logos on them.
A lot of women bought the clothes. Without being one of the rich clients, I bought 1 or two pieces a year.
It depends to where you went. If you expected to see Chanel clients in masses, except at the Grand Palais 4 times a year, it would have been difficult to catch them.

People still buys the same thing they bought from Chanel. You go to Chanel to buy a tweed piece, a knitwear piece, an occasional printed seasonal piece. There were less publicity in the tshirts back in the day but somehow they were always sold out.
Virginie’s clothes are more accessible in taste. She is revisiting the 80’s/90’s after all. Social Media is more developed and people are more brands obsessed so it’s obvious that you have the feeling of people wearing it more.
When you look at Social Media, there’s that feeling that everybody got a Birkin or a Kelly around…
If you go in the streets of Paris, Milan or London, you won’t get the same feeling. And that again, it depends on which streets…
Perception can be different from reality.

I mean everytime I go shopping I see a Himalaya Hermes and at least a few Chanel RTW pieces.

It reminds me of an acquaintance i had back in the day! Who was talking about how she went to a club where they were wearing louis vuitton shopping bags as purses. I immediately suspended all interactions with her after that…. What club are you going to where you see that and why do you think Im interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->