Chanel... The All-Things Chanel Handbags Thread

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
This has to be the most talked about handbag of 2022, right? I've seen countless social media posts, umpteen unboxings on YouTube and endless discussion online regarding the new Chanel '22' handbag which has been released as part of the brand's S/S 2022 collection by Virginie Viard.

CHANEL.COM

What's everyone's thoughts on the new design? Despite resembling a trash bag, I like it... especially the navy version. It also takes me back to Chanel circa 2006 which I can't complain about, and reminds me of the patent leather handbag Daria Werbowy had in the F/W 2006.07 campaign.

I'm unnecessarily conflicted with it. On one hand I think something about it looks chic on the arm, but on the other hand it's almost kinda passé? Like rivaling with the Stella McCartney Falabella maybe? Also the design and construction looks so minimal effort like they can just churn these out for an easy cash grab. Not very luxe by what I think of as Chanel standards

Can't say I care about this design, but then I've never been big on pouches to begin with. It isn't that ugly though, I also like the navy model and the black one looked nice on the runway. People love to hate on the new Chanel and more often than not it's with good reason, but I'd give this bag a pass! Although it seems like a lazy design that isn't very luxe indeed, it still looks cute with the right styling. There's potential! I like it better than the Girl bag.

They have no sense of trends. It doesn't look very luxurious. The navy blue model is the best. IMO, Chanel bags have lost character with Gabrielle's bag because you feel they desperately want to create hype - marketing has been too aggressive.
for example, this shape looked better:
They could modernize it then they would create an interesting handbag.
Chanel French crocodile handbag , circa 1989-1991.
chanel-80s-french-crocodile-handbag.jpg
chanel-80s-french-crocodile-handbag-1.jpg

Chanel 1960s 1970s 1980s vintage retro dresses coats jackets - moda.com
or this:
chanel-rare-jumbo-vintage-80s-chain-quilted-twins-lock-cc-briefcase-black-cross-body-bag-11-0-650-650.jpg

/img-static.tradesy.com

I didn't actually think the bag looked that bad in photos of it alone, but yikes... seeing it with a person. It really does look like a trash bag. I can't seem to find any photos of what it looks like inside which, to me, is the true test of a purse. :lol:

Chanel-22-Bag.jpg

purseblog

On one hand, Chanel wants to be closely associated with expensive, sophisticated elegance, and on the other hand, it wants to put out products that are clearly designed to appeal to people on social media.

First you have the heart bag, which looks like it's straight from Claire's Accessories, and then you get something that literally looks like a trash bag. Perhaps these products are made of the softest leathers, but that hardly matters when it's all about the look, not the touch.

Karl Lagerfeld realised there was scope to have fun with Chanel's image, but he knew how to do it. He produced witty pieces, in context of a show's theme, that were guaranteed to get press coverage, but even his most purposeless items never demeaned the brand, they just flirted with its serious side.

As much as some brands might decry influencers, bags like the above are tailor-made for people who enjoy the whole 'purchase-unbox-display-declutter' cycle. They might look cute on some, but these aren't likely to be classics, and I would wonder if anyone is kidding themselves into seeing them an 'investment bag' when they seem so easily constructed (and fakeable). Perhaps it's an investment if you buy and sell while the market is still hot for them, in which case, it's hardly about the handbag, it's more about the mark-up someone can achieve within the window of popularity.

The ‘true test being the interior’! So I’m not the only one who chooses bags for the interior?! Yay! I did see upcoming fall/winter this new bag in tweed - didn’t get a good look but I didn’t dislike it as much as these leather versions. It just looked soft and completely unstructured but not so garbage-like. The leather on the 22 feels over-treated to me, suppose it must be to make it work in this form. I do wonder how these bags will look in years to come. Fairly awful I’d guess.

Chanel-22-Bag.jpg

purseblog[/QUOTE]

The quality of the Chanel purse leather material is impeccable. Chanel bags have unique designs. Everyone who has ever had a chance to hold a Chanel bag in their hands, can say that quality and design of the leather bag is the best.

The idea that anyone would try to make the case that a mass-produced handbag is truly worth many thousands of dollars due to the craftsmanship and materials is absurd. It's not like a bag from Uniglo at literally 1% or less the cost is going to be falling apart after a single use. In reality, it's about the label, it's about trying to separate yourself from the plebeians, it's about flaunting your consumption (often while pretending you're trying to do the opposite by opting for "quiet luxury" because "wealth whispers" lmaooo), it's about the fun of building a collection, of buying into the marketing. Some of that is perfectly valid! Some people claim it's an investment, which I suppose if you have a rare piece it could be, but people will be buying nylon Prada bags calling it an investment....

Anyway, I sort of have come around to liking the 22. I think I prefer the tweed versions to the leather, but some of the leather colors are nice too. I appreciate the size, the simplicity, the visual impact. It feels like a bit of a callback to those little minimalist nylon backpacks with the drawstrings that were all the rage in the early 2000s. And I can see the fun in having a more expensive, Chanel-ified version of that as appealing.

I totally agree with KINGofVERSAILLES, I never understood the high price on these bags

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->