Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2020.21 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Marc10, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Stunning! The video presentation, that is. Because the clothes are your typical MGC Grecian/drape/nude/embroided fare.
    She should be glad that the video medium allowed her to take these clothes to a different level because without it everyone will see it for what it is.

christian zh likes this.
  3. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

A bit long but mostly entertaining (a breakthough for Maria Grazia), competent acting and I loved the horny tree couple. The segment with the dolls was very sweet.

Those Dior euros were put to good use for once.

sweetpop, RedSmokeRise and Benn98 like this.
  4. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

It's so sweet it almost makes me sick. Just another Cinderella story. Nothing new to see, just old.
    It's so disconnected from the world we are living in: COVID-19, BLM, etc. Would have loved to see what McQueen would have done.

joedago likes this.
  5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I dunno, Nymphaea, imo it's better for everyone involved if MCG stayed away from social issues because she'd replicate it in the most literal sense and maybe that wouldn't quite work right now. Case in point, the above presentation, the fencing collection, the feminist slogan tee........

Yeah, how odd was that? LOL. And they were really getting it on in that bark.

6. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

7. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

8. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Not sure if the set design is digital or real, but it looks very interesting.
    Like how the surrealist coat sticks out like a sore thumb. As predicted, it's yet another textbook MGC couture line. The Saudi royals will go bananas on this.

9. 0st3nd

0st3nd Well-Known Member

I must admit this is my favorite collection from her by far.

But still, I find the set design and graphic design are much more intriguing than her design...

YohjiAddict likes this.
  10. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Her best collection! How ironic!
    For the first time ever, the clothes looks fully achieved. It’s not a quiet New-Look, it’s big! I like that!

And maybe she should present her clothes on mannequins rather than models. Obviously, her models are 16 years old girls who do not have the stature, the bodies to embody the old-school femininity of Dior.
    The Galliano woman can picture herself in those clothes!

11. blackbow91

blackbow91 New Member

Dior has always been my favourite, until Chiuri came in. Even if her collections have some beautiful details, the whole look just never appealead to me. This is perhaps the first collection I do like full looks.

The wretched braiding doesn't amuse me though. That flower dress (sixth on second post) would've been absolutely perfect without that braiding.

lauralynn025 likes this.
  12. RedSmokeRise

RedSmokeRise Well-Known Member

Her best work so far??

She needs to focus on this garden nymph woman vs. the slogan obsessed woman of her RTW

lauralynn025 likes this.
  13. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

I never thought I was going to write this about Mary Grace...but it is her best (and only good so far) collection for Dior!

Buut...I have to face the fact that it is very classical, and reminds too much of Dior archives...nothing new here.
    But at least this time it has been made with good taste. And a sense of sophistication which was gone for too long at Dior. This time this truly looks like haute couture, with a great construction.

Love the dolls presentation, no teenagers models who tend to ruin the couture feeling. But I would like to see each look made at real scale.

#13 jeanclaude, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  14. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

I have watched the end of the video, I saw the clothes at real scale...but the models ruined the whole couture mood.

15. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Yeah, this is good. I think her collections do not need shows at all because the show often overshadows the collection and the looks are repetitive. This collection is condensed and the presentation matches the banality of the clothing making them feel right, if that makes sense. Still don't like her though :lol:

jeanclaude likes this.
  16. avonlea002

avonlea002 Well-Known Member

Probably her best collection to date. Everything looks expensive and extremely well made. Mary's dull creations have benefited a lot from the change of presentation.

17. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Well-Known Member

Do women really want to dress like that? I agree that this is probably her best outing yet, which doesn't say much, but it all feels so heavy. Not at all for a modern woman, although this is couture.

With all her bull about feminism and emancipation, why does she insist on reworking the 1950s constantly? Can't she see the contradiction?

jeanclaude and Lola701 like this.
  18. blackbow91

blackbow91 New Member

Women like to feel pretty. At least half this collection is pretty. There's no great science to it.

What of feminism and emancipation? That means a woman should dress like they want, including pretty clothing. Many women love the 50s, the 60s, anything vintage really.

Lola701 likes this.
  19. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

In a way, Couture is the most and the least modern way to dress. The craftmanship and the techniques are still the most advanced in terms of clothes-making but the clientele, the whole status and everything it represents is from another time...

That being said, when it comes to Dior, it’s almost a philosophical question. There’s something that Karl always said about his work at Chanel on how it was about the spirit of Chanel. More than the visual aspect, the philosophy behind the process or the brand is very important. And I don’t think MGC has that. So her work is very visual-based.
    It’s something Marc Bohan had (his work for Dior in the 70’s is a departure from the 50’s aesthetic while being Dior), that Ferré had (even if his interpretations of the 50’s in the 90’s felt already dated), that Galliano had up until he decided to do throwbacks and it’s really something Raf showed in his first collection.

The Dior silhouette is the easiest silhouette for women when it comes to femininity. It exudes femininity and women generally enjoys that (It’s not my cup of tea, personally).

That being said, it’s weird how big gowns and the idea of « dreaming » feels very much irrelevant now. There’s a sense of emergency that I think Dior, Valli and à lot of names in Couture don’t have for me lately.

jeanclaude and RedSmokeRise like this.
  20. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Her best collection