Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2005 Paris

More:

00290f.jpg
00300f.jpg

00310f.jpg
00320f.jpg

I love the croc. :heart:

But it doesn't even resemble couture until the second half.

I finally realized who this look reminds me of, Emma Peel from The Avengers....actually, that's pretty much all of the all-black looks.

00010f.jpg

Im so dissapointed after I saw the video... I mean, there's such a different thought about how everything is going to click and go together, but when I saw the video, it was nothing like what I was expecting to be...guiding myself from the pics...

whatever :wacko:

Melody Nelson said:
00110f.jpg
00170f.jpg

Balenciaga fall winter 2004 Dior Hautre Couture spring 2005

00190f.jpg
00230f.jpg

Dior Haute Couture spring 2005 Balenciaga fall winter 2004

Sorry, but you just can't do that. You can't pick two looks that kinda seem similar and then imply that one designer stole the idea from the other. It happens all the time on this forum and it's just not that easy. People will be like 'oh well this Prada look reminds me of that Chanel look so Miuccia must be copying Karl'! Fashion is such a tangled web of references that no designer is really the owner of anything.

The balloon skirt, originally by Cristobal Balenciaga, is a huge influence in fashion right now. So it's very likely that both Nicolas and John are referencing it in their own ways. As for the coat you posted, yes they look similar but I doubt there's any correlation. They are both stiff mid-length coats that both have a point of reference in 60's couture. That's all.

I don't like Dior, but I liked Galliano's last couture show and this one's pretty good too. I love the black pieces he used to opened the show. Of course the man can't resist some over-the-topness, hence the ugly red things in the middle, but at least he tried something new.

00010f.jpg
00020f.jpg

00090f.jpg
00100f.jpg

00140f.jpg
00180f.jpg

00200f.jpg

00090f.jpg

i love this, it's perfect for a cute 60s bad girl look. the bug eyed sunglasses are adorable too.

metal-on-metal said:
Sorry, but you just can't do that. You can't pick two looks that kinda seem similar and then imply that one designer stole the idea from the other. It happens all the time on this forum and it's just not that easy. People will be like 'oh well this Prada look reminds me of that Chanel look so Miuccia must be copying Karl'! Fashion is such a tangled web of references that no designer is really the owner of anything.

The balloon skirt, originally by Cristobal Balenciaga, is a huge influence in fashion right now. So it's very likely that both Nicolas and John are referencing it in their own ways. As for the coat you posted, yes they look similar but I doubt there's any correlation. They are both stiff mid-length coats that both have a point of reference in 60's couture. That's all.

i think that all the original poster said was that these popped into her mind right away...and they popped into mine too...didn't they pop into yours?...

considering we just saw these looks last year... i think it's natural to connect the two ...i don't think anyone said anything about stealing the idea...did they?...if anything i agree with you m-o-m...they are both borrowing from 1960's balenciaga... ...i mean... this entire collection is 'borrowed'...i don't see any new or innovative ideas here... :innocent:

having said that...i do think there are some good pieces that will find their way into someone's closet who isn't afraid to attract attention to herself...
galliano doesn't design for wallflowers...that's for sure... ^_^ :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
some beautiful stuff.
yes beautiful jackets but I know i could pick a similar one up for $40 in my local op.shop or flea market, haute couture im thinking not.
00080f.jpg
00110f.jpg

softgrey said:
i think that all the original poster said was that these popped into her mind right away...and they popped into mine too...didn't they pop into yours?...

considering we just saw these looks last year... i think it's natural to connect the two ...i don't think anyone said anything about stealing the idea...did they?
The OP didn't say anything about stealing, but I think the implication is there. It's set up as 'this Balenciaga came first, then Galliano did this Dior'. It might not be what the OP meant but that's how it comes across, to me at least. I mean, it's fine, everyone can have an opinion and if you two associate those two looks immediately, that's fine. But in almost every show thread on this board someone will dig up an old runway shot and post it, implying that the designer's work is somehow inauthentic.

My main point was, we are so overwhelmed with reference points in the 21st century that nothing is really new anymore and no contemporary designer owns the right to a method of styling or a boot or a dress. And it's just a little silly to go around pointing fingers like that.

If someone were to dig up an old Kaisik Wong sketch on a Balenciaga thread that is an EXACT copy, that would be different. But to say 'oh look McQueen is copying Galliano', I don't know. They may trawl the same fleamarket and follow the same trend forecasts, but I don't think they are concerned with each other's work in that way.

Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking in my original post. I wasn't. I was just pointing out a flawed idea that keeps getting reposted on these boards.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->